PC doesn't boot after spilling some thermal paste on the motherboard.

Go to solution Solved by SillySlug24,

OK Next step is to try a minimum configuration. Install the CPU, and one stick of RAM in the socket closest to the CPU. (DDR4_2 which is channel A) In terms of wiring, connect ATX 24pin power, CPU 12pin power CPU, and CPU fan to the CPU fan header on top of the board. On the bottom of the board connect the front panel and the Speaker (red wire towards the rear, black towards the front) That's it. Don't connect a monitor to the motherboard ports; since your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics they do nothing. Then turn it on. If we're lucky you'll get beep codes out of the speaker telling you whats wrong (https://www.electronicshub.org/gigabyte-motherboard-beep-codes/). If everything so far is correct and system is now working you should get 1-3 (no VGA) Add the video card, see if you get a boot. If you do, shut off and add components one at a time until you get back to everything on and ok, or you add a component and have a problem.

Good Luck!

Hey i need help fixing my pc. So actually what happened is that i was trying to apply thermal paste to my cpu. Everything went fine until i tried booting it again after applying the paste it doesn't boot. fans does start and stay spining but there's no display and no light in keyboard or mouse. I unplugged my pc tried resetting bios by removing cmos battery for a bit tried booting same results as before then i removed my cpu cooler and found out i did spill some thermal paste on my motherboard and some on my cpu. I cleaned them both really good and made sure that cpu doesn't have any bad pins and same for the CPU socket everything looks clean tried booting it but same results fans spin no boot. Tried adjusting some components like GPU and Ram and connectors and still same results. Meanwhile i get answer to this,  I have removed the cpu from the motherboard and let them both dry at a secure place. How do i fix it?

I used HY510 paste and my motherboard is Gigabyte B450M S2H 

And cpu is Ryzen 5 3600

Any help is appreciated thanks! 

So good news, HY510 is not electrically conductive so you didn't short anything. I would reassemble and do the CMOS clear procedure from the manual page 18 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-manual then try again. Also, use way less thermal paste, a tiny dab will do you. The ideal heat conduction environment is bare metal to bare metal between the CPU and Cooler. The thermal paste is there to increase the contact surface by filling the *tiny* gaps that exist between the CPU heat spreader and the cooler.

12 minutes ago, SillySlug24 said:

So good news, HY510 is not electrically conductive so you didn't short anything. I would reassemble and do the CMOS clear procedure from the manual page 18 https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-S2H-rev-1x/support#support-manual then try again. Also, use way less thermal paste, a tiny dab will do you. The ideal heat conduction environment is bare metal to bare metal between the CPU and Cooler. The thermal paste is there to increase the contact surface by filling the *tiny* gaps that exist between the CPU heat spreader and the cooler.

Ok, I'll try it again in the morning and update you! Thanks for the reply i was dying for support 😭😂😂

13 hours ago, SillySlug24 said:

Hey so i actually reassembled everything and also did the cmos clear thing. Still fans spin and no boot. Though i didn't use any thermal paste this time as i was fearing i might damage it again 😅

OK Next step is to try a minimum configuration. Install the CPU, and one stick of RAM in the socket closest to the CPU. (DDR4_2 which is channel A) In terms of wiring, connect ATX 24pin power, CPU 12pin power CPU, and CPU fan to the CPU fan header on top of the board. On the bottom of the board connect the front panel and the Speaker (red wire towards the rear, black towards the front) That's it. Don't connect a monitor to the motherboard ports; since your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics they do nothing. Then turn it on. If we're lucky you'll get beep codes out of the speaker telling you whats wrong (https://www.electronicshub.org/gigabyte-motherboard-beep-codes/). If everything so far is correct and system is now working you should get 1-3 (no VGA) Add the video card, see if you get a boot. If you do, shut off and add components one at a time until you get back to everything on and ok, or you add a component and have a problem.

Good Luck!

28 minutes ago, SillySlug24 said:

Good Luck!

Hey i found out my ram was faulty so i have to replace it now. Thankyou for your help!! 

Cool. before you run out and replace the RAM Take a good hard look and see if you accidentally got some thermal paste either on the RAM contacts or in the socket. If so it would act as an insulator and screw things up. If found, you can clean the ram stick or the socket *very gently* with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip (make sure to not leave any cotton fuzz in the socket)

11 minutes ago, SillySlug24 said:

Cool. before you run out and replace the RAM Take a good hard look and see if you accidentally got some thermal paste either on the RAM contacts or in the socket. If so it would act as an insulator and screw things up. If found, you can clean the ram stick or the socket *very gently* with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip (make sure to not leave any cotton fuzz in the socket)

Alright I'll keep that in mind before rushing to buy the new ram