AM4 CPU upgrade

So, i've had this r5 1600 since december 2017, served me very well. But now i'm upgrading to a r7 5700x and i have a few questions.

1. Would it be ok to use the stock cooler from the 1600?

2.Any tips or things i should know or avoid doing while upgrading the bios?

The Mobo in question is a Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3

2 minutes ago, Duti said:

1. Would it be ok to use the stock cooler from the 1600?

Is it the wraith spire? If so, you should be good, though even the stealth is likely to be sufficient for gaming.

1) By ok you mean leaving some performance on the table, yeah sure.

2) Nope, it seems that your current CPU is still supported on the latest bios.

image.thumb.png.d9cf9923d48b3dbc0a039a611fc692df.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Is it the wraith spire? If so, you should be good, though even the stealth is likely to be sufficient for gaming.

I think it is indeed the spire, i think the stealth only came with the r3 if im not mistaken.

So cooler wise i'm ok?

7 minutes ago, Duti said:

I think it is indeed the spire, i think the stealth only came with the r3 if im not mistaken.

So cooler wise i'm ok?

The earlier models came with the copper-core spire, but they were changed toward the end of the run.

A half-decent tower cooler would always be better than the spire, but for gaming I don't think you'll have any problems running it.

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

1) By ok you mean leaving some performance on the table, yeah sure.

2) Nope, it seems that your current CPU is still supported on the latest bios.

image.thumb.png.d9cf9923d48b3dbc0a039a611fc692df.png

1. Well ig that would be implied, but i browsed the used market and found an used wraith prism for 20$ -converted from my currency
Would this one be good enough? Btw i do not plan on overclocking due to the psu being just 550w.
2.So i could update the bios now and run it with my 1600, so when the 5700x arrives i can just plug-and play?

Also thanks for the checker, didn't know this existed.

1 hour ago, Tetras said:

The earlier models came with the copper-core spire, but they were changed toward the end of the run.

A half-decent tower cooler would always be better than the spire, but for gaming I don't think you'll have any problems running it.

I might have the copper core, since i bought it the same ywar it was released, but i don't remember now.

About the tower cooler i found a wraith prism on the used market for 20 bucks, so basically almost half the price of an aftermarket one in my country.
Any thought os the prism on how it could perform?

5 minutes ago, Duti said:

I might have the copper core, since I bought it the same year it was released, but i don't remember now.

I'd use that one then, it should be fine.

5 minutes ago, Duti said:

Any thought os the prism on how it could perform?

The stealth is a "good enough" cooler for something AMD can include in the box. It runs a bit hot, but usually does the job. For the lower power CPUs it is fine, but it will cause throttling with higher-end ones.

The original spire is a decent "top draft" cooler and can handle any of the 65 watt class CPUs.

The fans on the stealth and spire can vary, so the noise levels do too.

The prism is the best and came/comes with higher-end CPUs. It as effective as an entry-level tower cooler.

2 minutes ago, Tetras said:

I'd use that one then, it should be fine.

The stealth is a "good enough" cooler for something AMD can include in the box. It runs a bit hot, but usually does the job. For the lower power CPUs it is fine, but it will cause throttling with higher-end ones.

The original spire is a decent "top draft" cooler and can handle any of the 65 watt class CPUs.

The fans on the stealth and spire can vary, so the noise levels do too.

The prism is the best and came/comes with higher-end CPUs. It as effective as an entry-level tower cooler.

So if it would come between a 20$ prism cooler or a 40$ be quiet pure rock 2 silver what would you choose?

1 hour ago, Duti said:

So if it would come between a 20$ prism cooler or a 40$ be quiet pure rock 2 silver what would you choose?

Neither, if I was going to upgrade from the spire, I'd get the peerless assassin.

33 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Neither, if I was going to upgrade from the spire, I'd get the peerless assassin.

Yeah, cries in 3rd world country. Either unavailable or amazon delivery which costs the same as the cooler.

34 minutes ago, Duti said:

Yeah, cries in 3rd world country. Either unavailable or amazon delivery which costs the same as the cooler.

What about something like a thermalright assasin spirit? 

It's very cheap and far superior to the spire.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

38 minutes ago, Bagzie said:

Cheap i agree, still unavailable in my country, ig thermalright hasn't reached the market over here. And amazon is being silly.

image.png

20 hours ago, Bagzie said:

I've searced your cooler and found it's little brother available 

deepcool ak400 zero dark

would this one be good enough?

4 hours ago, Duti said:

I've searced your cooler and found it's little brother available 

deepcool ak400 zero dark

would this one be good enough?

Most definately , The AK400 is a good cooler.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

Assuming it is the Wraith Spire, that is plenty for most BAU usage on 105W TDP (as tested on my 2700X), but with a mild overclock and under sustained load it was starting to struggle, especially after 6 months of dust....  it coped, but that was definitely close to the limit (probably 115W)

Even the 105W 5800X3D under gaming will most likely be fine in most use-cases, but expect it to struggle under sustained load-testing especially if it is a hot case + hot GPU next to it.

You're looking at the 65W 5700X, so I expect you'll be fine - that is a phenomenally efficient CPU! 

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

Even an older Socket 939 Opteron cooler would work with that chip and mount right up.
All Wraith coolers are based on this original design and these older ones are made with copper, it's not an all aluminum cooler like others may or may not be.

Since an old Opteron cooler was made to go into a server (Opterons are server chips) and they are 110W chips it should do the job well enough - If you can find one.

I'm currently running an IceGiant cooler on my AM4 but I seriously doubt you can get one of those where you are and if you could, would probrably be beyond expensive since they aren't cheap in the first place.

EDIT:
I must say some coolers that's older may be a bit tight when latched down, some may be loose.
If it's a little tight it's still fine but if it's loose when latched, it means it will not work.

Note I'm not saying go out a grab an old opty cooler but if that's all you can find AND if it's really cheap you can try it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:37 PM, BahnStormer said:

Assuming it is the Wraith Spire, that is plenty for most BAU usage on 105W TDP (as tested on my 2700X), but with a mild overclock and under sustained load it was starting to struggle, especially after 6 months of dust....  it coped, but that was definitely close to the limit (probably 115W)

Even the 105W 5800X3D under gaming will most likely be fine in most use-cases, but expect it to struggle under sustained load-testing especially if it is a hot case + hot GPU next to it.

You're looking at the 65W 5700X, so I expect you'll be fine - that is a phenomenally efficient CPU! 

As i said i won't be doing any oc, at least not with a stock cooler and a 550w psu
atm it's either the old stock cooler or the AK400 from deepcool, ig i'll see when i buy the components.

14 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Even an older Socket 939 Opteron cooler would work with that chip and mount right up.
All Wraith coolers are based on this original design and these older ones are made with copper, it's not an all aluminum cooler like others may or may not be.

Since an old Opteron cooler was made to go into a server (Opterons are server chips) and they are 110W chips it should do the job well enough - If you can find one.

I'm currently running an IceGiant cooler on my AM4 but I seriously doubt you can get one of those where you are and if you could, would probrably be beyond expensive since they aren't cheap in the first place.

EDIT:
I must say some coolers that's older may be a bit tight when latched down, some may be loose.
If it's a little tight it's still fine but if it's loose when latched, it means it will not work.

Note I'm not saying go out a grab an old opty cooler but if that's all you can find AND if it's really cheap you can try it.

Atm i'm still waiting deals but i might just go ahead and grab one just to be safe
i mean what's the point of getting that great of a cpu and pairing it with a lesser capable cooler

23 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

EDIT:

Opteron.... that brings back memories!! I had one of those: it was only a 165 (1.8Ghz), but you could flip the memory speeds around so it would run at 2.7Ghz and provided you dropped the HT ratio down to keep it around 1Ghz, nothing else other than the CPU was overclocked.... but it was OC'd by 50% AND it was a "server" CPU, so IIRC you had a sh!t-ton of L2 cache compared to the desktop CPUs of the time.... only problem was that the motherboard I had was a bit bugged and would only run 2Gb RAM 😞

Only really stopped using it because if the RAM limit, but I ended up running as my NAS CPU for another 5 years after I moved on to the C2Q CPUs... but I clocked it "down" to 2.25Ghz and undervolted it so it would run at about 40C on an EVO120 with the fan dropped to about 300rpm.... cool, quiet and still very capable.... I still have it to this day, but haven't launched it for about 5 years... that CPU would be 20 years old by now!!!

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

5 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

Opteron.... that brings back memories!! I had one of those: it was only a 165 (1.8Ghz), but you could flip the memory speeds around so it would run at 2.7Ghz and provided you dropped the HT ratio down to keep it around 1Ghz, nothing else other than the CPU was overclocked.... but it was OC'd by 50% AND it was a "server" CPU, so IIRC you had a sh!t-ton of L2 cache compared to the desktop CPUs of the time.... only problem was that the motherboard I had was a bit bugged and would only run 2Gb RAM 😞

Only really stopped using it because if the RAM limit, but I ended up running as my NAS CPU for another 5 years after I moved on to the C2Q CPUs... but I clocked it "down" to 2.25Ghz and undervolted it so it would run at about 40C on an EVO120 with the fan dropped to about 300rpm.... cool, quiet and still very capable.... I still have it to this day, but haven't launched it for about 5 years... that CPU would be 20 years old by now!!!

Still have some here and they are great CPU's to tweak.
I've had HT speeds over 1500 before with mine but as you put it, the target HT frequency range is about 1000 or so.

And yes, I had the fastest one on the planet in benchmarks and validated CPU frequency too, the only reason I don't have it anymore is because I passed it along to another teammate.
What records are there not in my name within the same team (W9) were done my teammate.

https://hwbot.org/submission/2658219_bones_cpu_frequency_opteron_165_3514.75_mhz

https://hwbot.org/submission/2761272_bones_superpi___1m_opteron_165_24sec_812ms

Back on topic:
I know the older coolers will work but there are some slight differences between them, that's why sometimes they will mount up either loose or tight when clamped down but as long as it's tight instead of loose it will still work.
Sometimes they will be really tight but even in that case it's fine, I've ran them this way before and the only issue was clamping/unclamping them, all else was still OK.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.