Weird Issue with steam download speed

Go to solution Solved by BoomerDutch,
12 hours ago, jama91 said:

I had a looooong conversation with them. They are throtteling certain services since their network is overused.
I'd have switched ISP's for ages anyways if Germany wouldn't have only one ISP that doesn't know what they're doing.

That just means loads of people are using same service like steam on your area.

Quite funny tbh that isp is limiting that.

Well looks like you're forced to use vpn.

And avoid anti cheat Games while using vpn since they don't like it pretty much.

Hey there,

I'm having a weird problem with my Steam downloads. They're stuck below 1 MB/s, but other platforms like Epic Games and GOG aswell as Speedtests work fine. I did some troubleshooting within steam and even reinstalled the client, but nothing helped. However I just found out that when I use a VPN, my download speed jumps to the maximum of 11 MB/s available here (changing the download server on Steam doesn't help). This happens on all devices in my network. Strangely, a friend with the same ISP a few houses away doesn't have this issue. I'm currently using Cloudflare WARP for downloading games, but I really need a way to fix this issue since WARP spikes my ping to over 200.
I can also rule out my router after testing with a different one.

Has anyone here ever had a similar issue or tips how to fix this?

Thanks 

Is this consistent only on one device? Have you tried any other devices on that exact network line?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

What speed are you expecting?

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

1 minute ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

What speed are you expecting?

I should get about 11mb/s or 90 mbps

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Is this consistent only on one device? Have you tried any other devices on that exact network line?

I tried multiple devices, using both wifi and ethernet. All of them had the same issue.

I wonder if setting up a DNS server connection could solve the issue, if you're not already using one

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

19 minutes ago, jama91 said:

I should get about 11mb/s or 90 mbps

That's what you are getting. Steam is meassuring in MegaBytes not megabits (or MBs vs Mbs). You have to add a 0 to MBs to get the equivalent Mbs that the other services are utilizing

3 minutes ago, podkall said:

I wonder if setting up a DNS server connection could solve the issue, if you're not already using one

Sorry, forgot to mention it but yes i tried it with absolutely no change.

3 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

That's what you are getting. Steam is meassuring in MegaBytes not megabits (or MBs vs Mbs). You have to add a 0 to MBs to get the equivalent Mbs that the other services are utilizing

I think they meant this:

image.png.381970abb43d51a54c48e765d3ad7f08.png

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

3 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I am not. Without Vpn I get 1MB/s, with vpn I get 11MB/s which is what I'm paying for. I think I messed up the spelling in the original post, sorry.

1 minute ago, podkall said:

I think they meant this:

Yes, where I work we use slightly different abbreviations for transfer speed, guess that got a little confusing.

Update, I tried different locations for my vpn. If I connect to vpn servers in the USA, Denmark, Netherlands, France, Belgium, Germany or Poland my download speed is fine, any other country and it instantly drops.

15 hours ago, podkall said:

I think they meant this:

Yes my b

20 hours ago, jama91 said:

Update, I tried different locations for my vpn. If I connect to vpn servers in the USA, Denmark, Netherlands, France, Belgium, Germany or Poland my download speed is fine, any other country and it instantly drops.

have you tried any cmd commands? (note that some of them remove internet access and need another command to get it back[or perhaps just restart])

PC:

PCs I used before:

18 hours ago, podkall said:

have you tried any cmd commands? (note that some of them remove internet access and need another command to get it back[or perhaps just restart])

Do you mean like flushdns or ipcnofig/renew? I tried those with no effect. I also found out the the issue isn't just on steam, but in some video games I have up to 45% package loss even though it worked fine a week ago. Could this be an issue with routing outside of my network? Maybe something like a down IXP?

On 1/31/2024 at 2:36 PM, jama91 said:

Do you mean like flushdns or ipcnofig/renew? I tried those with no effect. I also found out the the issue isn't just on steam, but in some video games I have up to 45% package loss even though it worked fine a week ago. Could this be an issue with routing outside of my network? Maybe something like a down IXP?

not sure, do you have a phone for your ISP? or a way to contact them?

PC:

PCs I used before:

On 2/1/2024 at 7:44 PM, podkall said:

not sure, do you have a phone for your ISP? or a way to contact them?

I had a looooong conversation with them. They are throtteling certain services since their network is overused.
I'd have switched ISP's for ages anyways if Germany wouldn't have only one ISP that doesn't know what they're doing.

12 hours ago, jama91 said:

That just means loads of people are using same service like steam on your area.

Quite funny tbh that isp is limiting that.

Well looks like you're forced to use vpn.

And avoid anti cheat Games while using vpn since they don't like it pretty much.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖