Best way to resolve this networking problem?

I recently moved into a new apartment, bought new WiFi 7 2.5 GbE routers and the set-up is a bit different.

As a result, I can't use Storage Plug & Connect on my QNAP NAS for permanent drive mapping.

I've attached a diagram of my network with as much information as possible.

I understand the issue is caused by the order of my network: internet > switch > NAS & routers & laptop (wireless)

I'm trying to figure out which is the best option to resolve the above issue.

1. move the Router from the living room into the networking closet

• This is probably the easiest to do but would negatively impact coverage (all walls are concrete).

2. Use one of the Huawei wifi6 routers I'm not using from my last place - free

• I don't know if this would cause issues due to different brands.

• Would it work well if I disabled wifi?

3. Buy another TP-link router
    • I could buy either a cheaper WiFi7 or WiFi6 router for TP-link and disable wifi - around $40 CAD

• I could buy the more expensive WiFi7 BE6500 - $100 CAD

4. some other switch I don't know about

• I'm looking up SOH, Omada, ethernet switch

The less I need to configure in the router the better as it's all in Chinese.

Network setup v2.png

Gigabyte Aorus 15G :: i7-10870H CPU :: 3080 :: DDR4 3200 2x16GB :: 1TB + 2TB SSD :: Gigabyte M32Q :: Edifier MR4

when you wrote "Router wired" — you mean wifi AP, wifi router with 4 LAN+1 WAN ports as switch+AP or what?

what device is under "Internet > Switch > NAS"?

but more general — don't think that connection "computer<-- wifi --> NAS" can be so reliable, that Windows drive mapping can be rock stable, only LAN works as solution.

ad infinitum

4 hours ago, silk186 said:

I understand the issue is caused by the order of my network: internet > switch > NAS & routers & laptop (wireless)

Why? This seems complicated and is likely to cause conflicts.

Is “internet” a modem or gateway?

Keep things simple: internet gateway (bridge/passthrough mode) > wireless router > switch > clients/APs.

I've attached a diagram of my network with as much information as possible.

Unfortunately, that diagram is of no use for the problem you have. What would be useful is a diagram of how each of your network equipment is attached together with the exact make/model labels.

bought new WiFi 7 2.5 GbE routers and the set-up is a bit different.

Why so many routers? Are they all running in their default router mode or AP mode? Are you calling mesh nodes “routers”?

• I could buy either a cheaper WiFi7 or WiFi6 router for TP-link and disable wifi - around $40 CAD

• I could buy the more expensive WiFi7 BE6500 - $100 CAD

[…]

The less I need to configure in the router the better as it's all in Chinese.

Why are you quoting prices in CAD and talking about Chinese hardware?

I ordered 15m cat5a slim which I will try to hide along the moulding and run under the door so that it will be more reliable (concrete walls).

The routers are all the same model- set up but pressing and holding the sync button. I'll probably have a friend over if I need to mess with the software as it's all in Chinese.

It's an apartment and I didn't see a modem. I saw a bunch of fibre in a cabinet in the hallway but I didn't see a modem in my cupboard.

TP-Link BE6500 Router:

• Dual-band with a speed of 6500Mbps.
  • Equipped with four 2.5G network ports.
  • Supports WAN and LAN adaptability.
  • Powered by a quad-core A53 1.5GHz processor.
  • Includes 6 external independent FEMs.

Gigabyte Aorus 15G :: i7-10870H CPU :: 3080 :: DDR4 3200 2x16GB :: 1TB + 2TB SSD :: Gigabyte M32Q :: Edifier MR4

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Why? This seems complicated and is likely to cause conflicts.

Is “internet” a modem or gateway?

Keep things simple: internet gateway (bridge/passthrough mode) > wireless router > switch > clients/APs.

Unfortunately, that diagram is of no use for the problem you have. What would be useful is a diagram of how each of your network equipment is attached together with the exact make/model labels.

Why so many routers? Are they all running in their default router mode or AP mode? Are you calling mesh nodes “routers”?

Why are you quoting prices in CAD and talking about Chinese hardware?

Internet is a cable coming out of the wall. In my last place in this community, it was a fibre cable with a  modem. This time the fibre terminates in the hallway and I get a bundle of RJ45 cables - one for internet and the rest go to other rooms in the house. 

I didn't configure them. My agent sent the community "network master" to set up the internet. He connected one in the living room, then plugged in the others and pressed the sync button. He said I don't need to wire them or something. I didn't understand the details. Once I figure out how it should be properly set up I will call a friend over to help me navigate the UI (because I can't read Chinese).

Why so many routers? Because there are so many concrete walls. That's always why I want to avoid putting one of these three in the closet.

Why quote prices in CAD? Because some people aren't familiar with RMB and LTT is Canadian.

You only want the first router after the modem to act as your router. Otherwise, devices connected to them can only talk to devices connected to the same router. That's overcomplicated for a relatively small home setup.

Make sure all the other routers are only acting as access points. You shouldn't even need that many routers in the first place...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

@silk186

Your entire setup is confusing. It will be difficult to address the actual problem you’re having until the setup is figured out. I would suggest you contact this “network master” and determine:

1. How is internet served to your apartment? Do you get your independent connection to your ISP, or is the entire apartment on a common shared connection being distributed by a central switch?
  2. Is there a modem or gateway? If so, where is it exactly and what is the make/model?
  3. Are the BE6500 units configured in their default router mode, mesh nodes or AP mode?

Furthermore, many people call any network device a “router” these days. But the term designates a function, the same way that ‘gateway’, ‘access point’ and ‘mesh node’ designate specific functions. When you said “sync”, it made me think that these units are mesh nodes, which can act as routers independently, but once adopted into a mesh network, only one device actually has router functions.

If you don’t care about multiple layers of NAT, possible IP conflicts or not being able to access shares from different segments of the network, a multi-router network might work just to only get internet access for your clients. However, nothing about running multiple routers on the same network is normal unless if you have advanced networking experience and know what you’re doing.

8 hours ago, silk186 said:

Why quote prices in CAD? Because some people aren't familiar with RMB and LTT is Canadian.

Clarifying your region and local currency helps us to get an idea of the local markets you have access to. For example, if someone ever recommended the BE6500 to me, it would be useless; not just because of the language interface, but this unit seems to be unique to the Chinese market which I don’t have easy access to.

BTW, people from all over the world use these forums. I’m one of them.

I ordered a 15m cat6a slim cable last night. It arrived today and I connected my computer. Storage Plug & Connect works now.

I also ordered another wifi7 router as the cheapest option for 2x 2.5 GbE.