RTSP stream on Browser?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Worst case a cheapo roku stick and done. Boom proper smart tv. Or a cheap not spyware filled android tv box

I have a junky smart TV I got for free, Im not really sure what OS its running, I don't think it's Android but it has YouTube and a basic ass web browser. It's a Sharp Aquos.

I want to use this TV to view my Tapo camera that I have setup at the door, so that I don't have to open the app every time.

Plus, it's helpful for family members in the house , who aren't tech savvy, can still easily see who's at the door without opening it.

but the issue as Ive found is that RTSP streams cant be directly views in the browser. I know VLC can play it but I don't think the TV can download applications?

Is it possible to repackage the RTSP stream or convert it into a different format such that it can be viewed in-browser or maybe somehow setup a privat-ed stream on YouTube which can then be viewed on the TV?

any help is greatly appreciated

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

2 hours ago, Hassan170 said:

I have a junky smart TV I got for free, Im not really sure what OS its running, I don't think it's Android but it has YouTube and a basic ass web browser. It's a Sharp Aquos.

I want to use this TV to view my Tapo camera that I have setup at the door, so that I don't have to open the app every time.

Plus, it's helpful for family members in the house , who aren't tech savvy, can still easily see who's at the door without opening it.

but the issue as Ive found is that RTSP streams cant be directly views in the browser. I know VLC can play it but I don't think the TV can download applications?

Is it possible to repackage the RTSP stream or convert it into a different format such that it can be viewed in-browser or maybe somehow setup a privat-ed stream on YouTube which can then be viewed on the TV?

any help is greatly appreciated

https://github.com/bluenviron/mediamtx

There are no guarantees the web browser supports video though and YouTube is definitely not designed for this kind of usage, not sure if they would allow constantly using it in this way.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Worst case a cheapo roku stick and done. Boom proper smart tv. Or a cheap not spyware filled android tv box

54 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What about those HDMI stick PCs or android TV sticks?

If all I'm doing is having VLC play a stream then finding those in a bargain should do just fine right?

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

https://github.com/bluenviron/mediamtx

There are no guarantees the web browser supports video though and YouTube is definitely not designed for this kind of usage, not sure if they would allow constantly using it in this way.

Uhhh that looks a little bit more complicated than what I'm used to, if I had to guess using MediaMTX would require a server or some kind of intermediary device that hand shakes between the camera and a screen.

It's more work than is worth it, I think I'll just a junk HDMI stick device and put VLC on it.

Thanks for the tech tip, might come in handy in the future 

9 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

What about those HDMI stick PCs or android TV sticks?

If all I'm doing is having VLC play a stream then finding those in a bargain should do just fine right?

Yes but be carefull most are a scam/ancient n shit/have malware built in ltt did a good vid on en recently with recommendations