Microstuttering and freezes

Beeswitt

Hello!

I have microstutters and freezes in almost all games, regardless of graphics settings. For example: The Stanley Parable, The Beginner's Guide, The invincible, GTA IV and especially Fortnite (so many microstutters, but fps is just fine). All of these games are not very demanding on hardware, and judging by the load displayed in MSI Afterburner, my pc is not even close to overload.

Basically, these freezes occur when changing scenes or when changing lines of dialogue. For example in The Stanley Parable, the game runs smoothly if you walk around one room, but as soon as I move to the next location and the narrator starts saying a line of dialogue, I experience one microstutter. Then again the next location, a new line and again a single stutter. An interesting fact is that in the case of The Stanley Parable, if I hear the same dialog line in a second time, the freeze may not appear, as if it only works on new lines of dialogue. But after restarting the PC, again every dialogue causes a freeze. Maybe dialog line is sitting in something like cache, and pops out of there with no problem? But when it needs to be loaded directly from game directory, it lags?
Also, sometimes, after restarting Windows, freezes are completely gone. Then another restart and they appear again.

It is very exhausting trouble, that i just cant figure out. Can anyone help me with that?

My system:
CPU - i7 4960x
Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Extreme (bios modified for nvme support)

RAM - DDR3 HyperX Beast 2400MHz 4x8Gb (HX324C11T3K4/32)

GPU - MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC

Cooler - DeepCool AK620

SSD (Windows) - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250Gb (via m.2 to pcie adapter)

SSD (Games 1) - OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 240Gb
SSD (Games 2) - Intel Sata SSD 480Gb

HDD (Media files) - Seagate 4Tb
OS - Windows 10 Pro

What I tried to do:
- Clean reinstallation of Windows and drivers
- Reinstalling games
- Update video card drivers
- Disable and enable overclocking

What i think is nice to try (i will do this in next couple days):

- Install games on another ssd
- Take out all drives and check with just one ssd
- Testing with another Display

- Trying another HDMI cable

If you have any thoughts about what i can try to do, please, inform me

Tried to install The Stanley Parable from ssd 2 to ssd 1, and there is no stutters now
But tried to reinstall Fortnite from ssd 2 to ssd 1, it helped just a little, but stutters still happening a lot, just unplayable...

5 minutes ago, Beeswitt said:

Tried to reinstall Fortnite from ssd 2 to ssd 1, it helped just a little, but stutters still happening. 
Also tried to install The Stanley Parable from ssd 2 to ssd 1, i think there is no stutters, but i need to test more and reboot system a couple times

A old method/I found

Was to disable HPET that fixed my stutters a long time ago when  I had issues. you can find a quick guide on it and it's done with CMD and you should restart PC And see if that fixes it.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 hour ago, SImoHayha said:

A old method/I found

Was to disable HPET that fixed my stutters a long time ago when  I had issues. you can find a quick guide on it and it's done with CMD and you should restart PC And see if that fixes it.

It was not showing up in device manager. Tried to set it off in bios, tested Fortnite with fully disabled HPET and it didnt fixed it. 
Now, turned it on in bios, and to enable it in Windows typed in command line bcdedit /set useplatformclock true. Same thing, stutters still there

3 hours ago, Beeswitt said:

Hello!

I have microstutters and freezes in almost all games, regardless of graphics settings. For example: The Stanley Parable, The Beginner's Guide, The invincible, GTA IV and especially Fortnite (so many microstutters, but fps is just fine). All of these games are not very demanding on hardware, and judging by the load displayed in MSI Afterburner, my pc is not even close to overload.

Basically, these freezes occur when changing scenes or when changing lines of dialogue. For example in The Stanley Parable, the game runs smoothly if you walk around one room, but as soon as I move to the next location and the narrator starts saying a line of dialogue, I experience one microstutter. Then again the next location, a new line and again a single stutter. An interesting fact is that in the case of The Stanley Parable, if I hear the same dialog line in a second time, the freeze may not appear, as if it only works on new lines of dialogue. But after restarting the PC, again every dialogue causes a freeze. Maybe dialog line is sitting in something like cache, and pops out of there with no problem? But when it needs to be loaded directly from game directory, it lags?
Also, sometimes, after restarting Windows, freezes are completely gone. Then another restart and they appear again.

It is very exhausting trouble, that i just cant figure out. Can anyone help me with that?

My system:
CPU - i7 4960x
Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Extreme (bios modified for nvme support)

RAM - DDR3 HyperX Beast 2400MHz 4x8Gb (HX324C11T3K4/32)

GPU - MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC

Cooler - DeepCool AK620

SSD (Windows) - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250Gb (via m.2 to pcie adapter)

SSD (Games 1) - OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 240Gb
SSD (Games 2) - Intel Sata SSD 480Gb

HDD (Media files) - Seagate 4Tb
OS - Windows 10 Pro

What I tried to do:
- Clean reinstallation of Windows and drivers
- Reinstalling games
- Update video card drivers
- Disable and enable overclocking

What i think is nice to try (i will do this in next couple days):

- Install games on another ssd
- Take out all drives and check with just one ssd
- Testing with another Display

- Trying another HDMI cable

If you have any thoughts about what i can try to do, please, inform me

That's some old hardware! So many low-level issues could be occurring that may be hard to detect.

• What isn't clear, is, is this a new issue that didn't used to occur?
  • That M2 adapter sounds suspicious 
  • That OCZ drive, do you know if it has the latest firmware update? I have no idea if you can even find the latest firmware either because it's so old
  • If you disable all audio devices completely in Device Manager, does that resolve the stuttering?
    • Obviously, this is troubleshooting, not a fix 😆
  • I wrote a couple of guides that might be helpful

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

7 hours ago, problemsolver said:

That's some old hardware! So many low-level issues could be occurring that may be hard to detect.

• What isn't clear, is, is this a new issue that didn't used to occur?
  • That M2 adapter sounds suspicious 
  • That OCZ drive, do you know if it has the latest firmware update? I have no idea if you can even find the latest firmware either because it's so old
  • If you disable all audio devices completely in Device Manager, does that resolve the stuttering?
    • Obviously, this is troubleshooting, not a fix 😆
  • I wrote a couple of guides that might be helpful

I think it started happening after i rebuild my system in new case with a rtx 2060 super, like three months ago. But this gpu was in another pc and it worked just fine. 

About m.2 adapter, i have it for like two years, and it worked nice, without any problems

About OCZ, i am pretty sure it is running latest driver for it, found it on forum. But also, like month ago, it started showing errors in windows logs, tried to turn it off in device manager and check games for freezes, nothing changed

Hm, i will try turning off all audio outputs as soon as i will be at pc. It is a good guess, as new dialog line is a new audio “source”, maybe thats where shit happens

I will check it, thank you!