Help me with choosing audio setup (soundbar vs 2.0 AV receiver setup)

Hi everyone,

I'm considering upgrading my audio setup, which is a TV speaker, I'm looking for a balanced opinion, because if I ask on Reddit I know the answer depends on a sub I post in 馃槃

After doing some research I narrowed it down to two options:
A) Samsung HW-Q930C soundbar
B) Denon AVR-S660H receiver + pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 speakers

A is a bit more expensive than B, but less than any upgrade to B.

My issue is that I cannot set up wired satellite speakers permanently and won't be able probably for 10+ years.

So my thinking was:
A.1) get the soundbar and put the satellite speakers as extended front channels and move them to the orange spots (left) when I want to watch a more demanding movie
A.2) get the soundbar and put the satellite speakers in the yellow spots behind the table (right)
B) get 2 LR speakers and an AV receiver set them up in front, and then upgrade them with a center channel/subwoofer as I see fit and give up the surround sound

Additional info: I live in the apartment, but I do not have any neighbors apart from the floor below (and I live in the EU so we have more of a solid type of walls and building in general so should help with sound isolation). But I won't be able to blast volume so this is not a huge consideration. I do not listen to music that much in the living room, I plan to have a separate setup for that in my office in the future, but I guess this might change when I have a better setup?

I guess my main question or concern is how much I'm giving up in terms of surround sound when watching movies by going to 2.0/2.1/3.0/3.1 compared to a Dolby Atmos soundbar. I'm aware that with the soundbar I won't get bang for my buck and I give up upgradability. I'm leaning towards option B with the receiver, but want to be sure what I give up.

Thanks, everyone!

spacer.png

I'd go with the AVR + ELAC speakers.

I'd start by configuring the ELACs as your L & R channels. Then adding a center channel, then when you can add the rears.聽

When you move from a 2.0 (front channel) >3.0 (front channel) you'll get a聽lot聽more voice clarity in movies. Adding the rear channels is nice, but absolutely not as big of a jump in quality/clarity as adding the center will be-- it聽will聽add to the immersion however.

I like smart home and home theater tech.

My 5.1 setup consists of: Sony x90cj 75" TV, Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver, Apple TV 4k gen 2, SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub, KEF Q350 L/R, KEF Q250c Center, KEF Q150 rears.

My smart home is based around Home Assistant.

To add, your rear speaker selections don't need to match the L/R front channels. I've got KEF Q350s + KEF 250C in the front L/R/C and KEF Q150s in the rear L/R and it's excellent.

I like smart home and home theater tech.

My 5.1 setup consists of: Sony x90cj 75" TV, Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver, Apple TV 4k gen 2, SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub, KEF Q350 L/R, KEF Q250c Center, KEF Q150 rears.

My smart home is based around Home Assistant.

A good soundbar can be all you need in many situations.聽 I might suggest a receiver setup that would allow incremental upgrades to the system over time but really if you see yourself in the same type of living arrangement for the next 10 years, you'd probably be better off just getting the soundbar and keep that until you move into a space you can really fill out with a true surround sound system.聽 But as my signature says....

But I'm just talking out my ass.