im modding my case for airflow and i have questions

dreamcast4599
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,

I would pick up a hole saw next time. You'll end up with a round hole, and it's much easier than using Dremel for something like this. 

Being at the top, I would still probably make it exhaust. Especially as the PSU is an "exhaust" right there next to it. 

I used to drill holes in a "grille" pattern in the 5.25 bay covers and mount a fan in there below the CD-ROM. However those are fairly decorative, so I'm not sure if you want to drill them or not. 

Almost looks like you could get a 40mm there next to the IO shield, that could be an intake? What about a side cover?  I've used these grilles a couple timea recently.. They make them in different sizes.

so i picked up a used early 2000's atx case that has barely any airflow doesnt even have any fan mounts. so i used my Dremel to cut out a whole for a 120mm case fan in the top of the case. however as you can see in my photos the fan is sandwiched directly between the psu and a bracket that i assume is there for structural  stability will the vibrations from the fan cause any issues? the fan literally touches the psu like its wedged in there tight one last thing should the fan be intake or exhaust?this will be the only fan aside from the fan on the cpu cooler if it matters419663473_1336889804377195_7565812974083692924_n.thumb.jpg.8c1ac663607b19d5ffe048328f1fb93d.jpg

419722797_1579610692807471_4978915711195920943_n.jpg

419730662_923051722686343_1826958966458251929_n.jpg

370125909_316693971112125_1025795172735663015_n.jpg

371466258_6916447075089672_1701855605930676410_n.jpg

Should be fine. You can always get a 120mm fan guard if you want to dress it up a little bit.

That case is certainly a throwback. I haven't seen one of those in years!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Think youd be better off just running without the sidepanel outright which effectively makes the case an open bench so no extra fans are needed

As for the fan put some foam on it and that should reduce any vibrations

12 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@Needfuldoer yup local computer shop had it for sale for 10$ so couldnt pass it up i do plan to get a fan guard soon will have a 4790 i7 in it

Might aswell get a 4770k/4790k since youve got a z board but i guess you can just bclk a 4790

And definitely get another stick of ram cause that single stick is painful to look at (single channel = crippled cpu performance), oem rams are preffered so you dont end up accidentally buying trash samsungs that wont clock past 2400, hynix is what you want, haswell imc should do 2800-3200 ddr3 with ease and 3600+ is also possible (ease = lazy set the primaries, lazy set ram volt + imc volt, p95 largeffts stress for an hour or 2 to verify stability, achieve stability in 1 go, forget)

Couldn't you make a hole for the fan in the sidepanel ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I would pick up a hole saw next time. You'll end up with a round hole, and it's much easier than using Dremel for something like this. 

Being at the top, I would still probably make it exhaust. Especially as the PSU is an "exhaust" right there next to it. 

I used to drill holes in a "grille" pattern in the 5.25 bay covers and mount a fan in there below the CD-ROM. However those are fairly decorative, so I'm not sure if you want to drill them or not. 

Almost looks like you could get a 40mm there next to the IO shield, that could be an intake? What about a side cover?  I've used these grilles a couple timea recently.. They make them in different sizes.

23 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

the dremel was all i had and i cant really afford a hole saw

1 hour ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@leclod @OhioYJ heres the side-pannel

Thank you,

Seems doable still, not easy to do clean but your solution isn't clean either.

And plastic is easier to work with than metal.

I'd have chosen fan on side panel.

Edit : maybe rattling noise with fan on plastic...Never mind,

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

@leclod yeah im pretty happy with the top fan so we shall see how it goes for now i will leave the top fan as intake and see what happens while monitoring temps