Connecting PreSonus Sub 8 to PC

Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

You can't do that, the center channel output is part of the analog out and not going to play with a digital out device. 

Hooking up that sub if you already have a set of powered speakers is quite simple. Analog speaker out from the motherboard or another DAC to the sub's RCA input, then out from the RCA output to the speakers. That's how that's supposed to work and the most ideal setup. 

The crossover in the sub handles passing through the frequencies designed for the speakers and plays the lower frequencies. 

image.png.162e2cd264587a622d146e3deadca124.png

Hey guys, 

Quick question - I want to buy a sub for my setup, specifically PreSonus Eris Sub 8, but I want to connect it to my PC via a motherboard center/subwoofer channel - is it possible? What sort of cable do I need for that with that specific subwoofer? 

I currently have PreSonus Eris 3.5 monitors connected to my MOBO and a Sonos Ray with a S/PDIF. 

MOBO is an Asus Crosshair X670E Hero. 

You can't do that, the center channel output is part of the analog out and not going to play with a digital out device. 

Hooking up that sub if you already have a set of powered speakers is quite simple. Analog speaker out from the motherboard or another DAC to the sub's RCA input, then out from the RCA output to the speakers. That's how that's supposed to work and the most ideal setup. 

The crossover in the sub handles passing through the frequencies designed for the speakers and plays the lower frequencies. 

image.png.162e2cd264587a622d146e3deadca124.png

@GuiltySpark_

So to reiterate (forgive my lack of knowledge in the audio space) - Line Out connection from MOBO to sub via a 3,5 mm to RCA cable and then from sub to monitors via a RCA to RCA connection. Is this correct? 

On 1/25/2024 at 3:12 PM, Chaoson said:

So to reiterate (forgive my lack of knowledge in the audio space) - Line Out connection from MOBO to sub via a 3,5 mm to RCA cable and then from sub to monitors via a RCA to RCA connection. Is this correct? 

Exactly. That would result in the most ideal way to set that up. Let the subs built in crossover handle everything, that's what its designed to do.