How to let people change the music at parties?

Niber

I have my house music system hooked up to my PC, but for parties there's always someone who wants to chose music, but there's just no way in H that I will leave my PC/phone unlocked just to allow that (for security reasons) 

is there a proper way to deal with this? I'm a bit of a boomer so I've actually never tried any of these Chromecasts and stuff (did a quick search but seems Chromecast audio is outdated?)

I was planning on retiring my old laptop to be a kind of "family computer" void of anything private, so that any visitor can do whatever they want on that computer, but unfortunately that plan failed as I no longer have that laptop availible. 

The ideal solution would be one that is self-explanatory so I don't have to explain to people how to change the music

Spotify has a "Jam" feature.

Spoiler

whyisitsohardtransferringimagesbetweeniphoneandwindowspc.jpeg.5916a3de6b21bbbf18ef29b5f400def8.jpeg

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

How are you storing your music? Folders full of MP3s? Is it all streaming?

There are several music server platforms like PlexAmp and SubSonic that let you run your own Spotify-ish service. That would let you share your library without letting people mess with your files.

If your music collection isn't enormous, a cheap, used, spare laptop with a big SSD in it makes a decent, low-effort jukebox.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

How are you storing your music? Folders full of MP3s? Is it all streaming?

There are several music server platforms like PlexAmp and SubSonic that let you run your own Spotify-ish service. That would let you share your library without letting people mess with your files.

If your music collection isn't enormous, a cheap, used, spare laptop with a big SSD in it makes a decent, low-effort jukebox.

I haven't set this decision in stone yet, but the abovely reocmmended Spotify Jam features makes me think maybe I'll fully convert to Spotify

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Spotify has a "Jam" feature.

Hide contents

whyisitsohardtransferringimagesbetweeniphoneandwindowspc.jpeg.5916a3de6b21bbbf18ef29b5f400def8.jpeg

Thanks I looked into that now. Maybe it's the solution, I'm not sure, seems like there's quite a bit of explanation involved and means everyone needs their own Spotify account, 

10 minutes ago, Niber said:

Thanks I looked into that now. Maybe it's the solution, I'm not sure, seems like there's quite a bit of explanation involved and means everyone needs their own Spotify account, 

Well yeah, you cant use spotify without an account.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 8:28 PM, Levent said:

Well yeah, you cant use spotify without an account.

But it works with free accounts too. Only the host needs premium for an ad-free jam.