Evga supernova g2 vga power cable

Ebony Falcon

Hi guys so I have the g2 psu and iv not needed the third cable for the gpu before, I think I have found the right cable in my box of wires 

it looks the same as the one listed on there website and the only other psu I have owned had red connectors so I know it’s not from that 

can anyone with this cable confirm it’s the right one ? 

I can have a close up look and confirm the writing on the small cables of that helps 

also don’t have a multi meter to test it and wouldn’t no how too 

edit. Looks the same as the ones I have in without the extra 6 pin tail and the same vga writing on it but n the same place 

image.jpg

IMG_6541.jpeg

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Also might have sourced a multi meter to borrow if anyone could tell me how to use it 🙂

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

23 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Also might have sourced a multi meter to borrow if anyone could tell me how to use it 🙂

There's only really two options:

1) Test the pins at both ends on a known-good cable against the one you found to confirm they are the same.

2) Test the pins while the PSU is on to make sure 12v is going to the right pins at the GPU end.

automotive - Using a PCIe 6/8-pin connector on a modular PSU ...

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's only really two options:

1) Test the pins at both ends on a known-good cable against the one you found to confirm they are the same.

2) Test the pins while the PSU is on to make sure 12v is going to the right pins at the GPU end.

automotive - Using a PCIe 6/8-pin connector on a modular PSU ...

This is the pin out for the nova that I found on evga site gpu side reads different to what you shared.

never mind the evga is from the back of the plug so it is the same 

IMG_6539.png

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

So what do I do plug the cable into the psu turn the power on the psu but dont turn the pc on, put the black tester on a ground and the red in the others to check the bottom left 3 are 12v and the others and 0 ?? 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

13 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

So what do I do plug the cable into the psu turn the power on the psu but dont turn the pc on, put the black tester on a ground and the red in the others to check the bottom left 3 are 12v and the others and 0 ?? 

Firstly I'd check the GPU end of the cable, make sure none of the pins are shorted together as if its NOT the right cable we wouldn't want it to short a 12v to GND on the PSU.  If any are shorted, you could check if the existing cable you have is also shorted in the same places to confirm that is okay to plug in.

Then if all seems okay, plug it into the PSU and you'll need the PC on to check for 12v where it should from the diagram you found, so would need to be careful not to short the probes together.  You could always turn the PC off when changing the probes if concerned.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Firstly I'd check the GPU end of the cable, make sure none of the pins are shorted together as if its NOT the right cable we wouldn't want it to short a 12v to GND on the PSU.  If any are shorted, you could check if the existing cable you have is also shorted in the same places to confirm that is okay to plug in.

Then if all seems okay, plug it into the PSU and you'll need the PC on to check for 12v where it should from the diagram you found, so would need to be careful not to short the probes together.  You could always turn the PC off when changing the probes if concerned.

How do I know if it’s shorted ?

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Just now, Ebony Falcon said:

How do I know if it’s shorted ?

The multi-meters continuity/diode test mode.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Is there a YouTube guide for 5 years old I don’t understand any of this sorry 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

18 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Ok I tested it and have 12v in the bottom left 3 as per the photo 

safe to say it’s good 

IMG_6550.png

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper