Troubleshooting Sata behavior

Go to solution Solved by ThatGamrGril,

The fans were powered on SATA and I was plugging the drives into the same sata cable as the fans. The computer is working again. I'll try using another sata cable to run the other drives this time.

Original message:

Spoiler

My computer doesn't start anymore! I'm not sure what went wrong, but the first time it started to behave differently was yesterday when I was playing a game. I tried to save the game, and the computer seemed to get stuck trying to save the game file. After a few minutes of waiting, the mouse began lagging, and windows explorer was not working ( So I couldn't use CTRL + ALT + DEL ). I forced the PC to shut down, and when it turned back on, it began "disc repair". I had no idea what that meant, so I waited, and eventually I was able to use the computer again. I played some more games, then the same thing happened while loading in another game. I shut down the PC in the same way after waiting a while, then when it started, the computer showed the disc repair again, except this time it was already at 100%. I logged back in and tried to see if a specific program was causing the issue so I tried to start to the PC and let it idle to see what was wrong. The anti virus was scanning, the System services did some things, then the drive went from 100% to 0 ( usually it's at 100% when I'm logging in so this seemed normal ). From here the computer ran just fine. There was no issue at all, and I continued to play games after checking a few different programs.

I normally do not turn off my computer; I leave it running and the computer doesn't screensave* so it's on 100% of the time unless I turn it off or restart it. I think it does go to sleep after 1 or 2 hours idle but it can wake itself up. When I came back to it the next day it was loaded into the boot manager and showed both drives were gone and only the SSD was installed. I was planning to just get new drives to replace the old ones, but I don't actually know what went wrong.

I do plan to get replacement SSD drives for the two firecuda hybrid drives installed in the computer, but this is the second time a part has died on the PC for seemingly no reason. I built the PC myself but after the CPU died months ago, I took it to a computer repair shop and they rebuilt the entire computer for me. The firecuda drives were some of the old parts that were in the PC. The motherboard, ram, and CPU are all new.

New:
I tried connecting another internal SATA device to my computer and it wont detect the new device. Recently, attempting to connect a brand new sata device causes the computer to crash. Booting after a crash it sometimes does not post, but may post after showing an error screen saying the system has failed to boot. It will load into the operating system, load to desktop but functions poorly ( low desktop FPS ) which is an entirely new issue. Restarting the computer usually results in windows reporting an error, or the computer failing to post several times.

My specs are:

• Windows 10 home 64 bit
  • American Megatrends International, LLC. 2.07, 10/6/2022
  • 13th Gen intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KS, 3200MHZ, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
  • 2x16GB G.Skill trident Z5 RGB Series (intel XMP) DDR5
  • z790 steel legend wifi
  • 1080Ti Duke (B0722YBZGK) GPU
  • WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD (wds100t3x0c-00sjg0) Boot drive
  • EVGA Supernova 1600 T2

The old drives were Seagate 2TB FireCuda Solid State Hybrid Drive (ST2000DX002)

I'm going to leave the computer completely off for now.

Solution:
The computer was rebuilt with the 3 radiator fans and 2 Sata drives connected to the same Sata power cable. With someone's direction I divorced the sata cable powering the fans from the sata for the drives. The Hybrid drives are working fine now, and I added 2 more SSDs to the computer and it works perfectly fine now.

I'm glad I didn't waste a bunch of time scanning hard drives and unnecessarily rebuilding the PC.

Edited by ThatGamrGril
Writing the Solution to the problem in the topic, and closing the thread.

Might be a problem with the hard drive itself. 

You can use built-in tools like CHKDSK on Windows or third-party tools like CrystalDiskInfo. If that doesn't show anything, you could see if there is a BIOS firmware update you're missing. (If you installed anything new make sure its not interfering with anything)

6 minutes ago, vvEvelyn said:

Might be a problem with the hard drive itself. 

You can use built-in tools like CHKDSK on Windows or third-party tools like CrystalDiskInfo. If that doesn't show anything, you could see if there is a BIOS firmware update you're missing. (If you installed anything new make sure its not interfering with anything)

I was going to do that today, but the computer doesn't load into windows anymore. It just goes to the motherboard settings menu.

2 minutes ago, ThatGamrGril said:

I was going to do that today, but the computer doesn't load into windows anymore. It just goes to the motherboard settings menu.

Your hard drive is bricked if it can't boot into anything but bios. A new hard drive or there is an option that may work:

1. Load up live USB with Linux.

2. Run command: Sudo gparted

3. Then partition it and reformat

19 hours ago, vvEvelyn said:

Your hard drive is bricked if it can't boot into anything but bios. A new hard drive or there is an option that may work:

1. Load up live USB with Linux.

2. Run command: Sudo gparted

3. Then partition it and reformat

I'll see if my friend knows how to do that

11 minutes ago, ThatGamrGril said:

Do I need to have linux to do this?

Edit: image.png.5e00210f01a070bc09a4f914c56fd1a2.png

I don't have a linux computer, my desktop is windows

You missed the first step I said. A live usb with linux

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

It's been a little while. I've tested a new drive in the computer. Plugging in a Samsung 870 QVO caused the computer to crash. Now it doesn't boot most of the time when I try starting it.

I think all of the drives are working just fine but there is a problem with the computer.

I've been checking the specifications info and apparently the fans are all off. I didn't even notice but the fans haven't been running for a little while.

Edited by ThatGamrGril

• 2 weeks later...

The fans were powered on SATA and I was plugging the drives into the same sata cable as the fans. The computer is working again. I'll try using another sata cable to run the other drives this time.