I think I bricked my motherboard

Go to solution Solved by kingfurykiller,

Update: Thank you all for the guidance; after attempting all steps suggested, I was unable to boot the device. I am suspecting this (very cheap) motherboard got bricked. I have ordered a replacement with something that will better fit the needs of this machine (more SATA ports)  

Hi! Trying to confirm that I bricked my motherboard, while trying to apply hardware raid in the BIOS settings for a server build. Specs:

• MB: Gigabyte B550 AM4 ITX
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
  • RAM: 16gb DDR4 Corsair (2 sticks in the correct channels)
  • PSU: corsair 650W
  • Boot drive: Samsung 970 Pro 500GB
  • Additional Storage: 2x WD 4TB NAS drives and 2x WD 1TB Blue Drive

I had successfully built/booted the system, had installed ubuntu, and was working on the RAID setup. I went into the BIOS, went into advanced mode, enabled 2 RAID 1 arrays, and then saved the changes. Reboot started, and then the system just didn't come back. I waited an hour, still no display. Pulled power to both monitor and machine, rebooted, still no display. Removed everything except CPU and 1 stick of RAM, still nothing.

At this point I am assuming the BIOS is corrupted. This was mostly new hardware except for the PSU, case, and fans. Anything left for me to try?

Thanks in advance.

Try removing power from your system, and then remove your CMOS battery for about 10 minutes - this will cause the BIOS to be reset back to factory settings. Put the CMOS battery back in, and give the computer power and turn it back on.

EDIT: You also have a CMOS reset jumper on your motherboard. Bridge those pins - this will also reset your BIOS as well.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Use Q Flash Plus to update the bios if clearing CMOS doesn't fix it.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

22 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Try removing power from your system, and then remove your CMOS battery for about 10 minutes - this will cause the BIOS to be reset back to factory settings. Put the CMOS battery back in, and give the computer power and turn it back on.

EDIT: You also have a CMOS reset jumper on your motherboard. Bridge those pins - this will also reset your BIOS as well.

also tried this, no change 😞

28 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Use Q Flash Plus to update the bios if clearing CMOS doesn't fix it.

Also no results. No display, no response to the end key during POST

disconnect the power cord and remove the CR2032 bios battery... leave it out for 30 minutes.. put it in and try again. 

26 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

Also no results. No display, no response to the end key during POST

Just to make sure, you're updating BIOS with a USB stick, a renamed BIOS file on that stick and the button on the back of the motherboard, correct?

For Q Flash Plus, you don't need to be into your BIOS. Just follow these steps with the computer powered off, but the power supply switch on. The USB port to use is labeled on the rear IO.

image.png.0b15a88af5650ab9a581c9b01e5b8e8b.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

36 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Just to make sure, you're updating BIOS with a USB stick, a renamed BIOS file on that stick and the button on the back of the motherboard, correct?

For Q Flash Plus, you don't need to be into your BIOS. Just follow these steps with the computer powered off, but the power supply switch on. The USB port to use is labeled on the rear IO.

image.png.0b15a88af5650ab9a581c9b01e5b8e8b.png

i will try this again just to triple check. I may not have named the file correctly (I've done this before on the MB for the wife's build)

Update: Thank you all for the guidance; after attempting all steps suggested, I was unable to boot the device. I am suspecting this (very cheap) motherboard got bricked. I have ordered a replacement with something that will better fit the needs of this machine (more SATA ports)