Food delivery websites

siddhesh8529

Hey, ik this might not be the correct place to do this but I feel the food delivery website have a monopoly on the food delivery market and they literally do not give a shit about the customer since 90%(hypothetical) do not have a problem with their order. As a student living in Kamloops, BC; it is really difficult when these websites tell me after the fact that I've paid for my order, that they are having a difficult time with delivery due to the weather conditions and their customer service fucking sucks balls. I would much rather be told that I won't be recieving my order before I pay than wait a fucking hour to chat with someone over the internet that wont even answer to my questions; I also would much rather be able to call them than fucking text. I do not know if anyone of you guys can help me with this or am I just unfortunate that I live in a small town.

P.S. : Ik, I can just cook at home, but I can't, which is why I'm ordering delivery.

Sometimes local restaurants will do their own delivery--it's worth checking out. I've found that it isn't uncommon for it to be cheaper to order directly from the restaurant than to use a delivery service (GrubHub, etc.). Not just in terms of fees--the restaurants will literally charge less for the food too. Just goes to show how well these services treat the restaurants that use them, I guess.

1 minute ago, Flavius Heraclius said:

Sometimes local restaurants will do their own delivery--it's worth checking out. I've found that it isn't uncommon for it to be cheaper to order directly from the restaurant than to use a delivery service (GrubHub, etc.). Not just in terms of fees--the restaurants will literally charge less for the food too. Just goes to show how well these services treat the restaurants that use them, I guess.

Tried, although its really rare in a small city

11 minutes ago, siddhesh8529 said:

Hey, ik this might not be the correct place to do this but I feel the food delivery website have a monopoly on the food delivery market and they literally do not give a shit about the customer since 90%(hypothetical) do not have a problem with their order. As a student living in Kamloops, BC; it is really difficult when these websites tell me after the fact that I've paid for my order, that they are having a difficult time with delivery due to the weather conditions and their customer service fucking sucks balls. I would much rather be told that I won't be recieving my order before I pay than wait a fucking hour to chat with someone over the internet that wont even answer to my questions; I also would much rather be able to call them than fucking text. I do not know if anyone of you guys can help me with this or am I just unfortunate that I live in a small town.

P.S. : Ik, I can just cook at home, but I can't, which is why I'm ordering delivery.

Thats why I go and get the food.

Today we had Door Dash deliver a order at the job. The issue is the building we are in has at least 3 separate business's. I work in a warehouse. So when you put the address in, it comes up to the building, not the unit. Most of these delivery drivers are too lazy or stupid to figure things out. OR the people who are are stupid and dont put the name of the business or unit they are in. So the food sat outside from about 10:45 am to noon when we went to lunch. The good news is its cold as balls outside due to winter, which means the food was probably still good. We tossed it in the fridge and waited to see if someone claimed it. But I dont think anyone did. Not sure if someone ate it. Once came back to work on the Monday and found an order from Saturday sitting outside our will call door. I ordered Door Dash once and gave instructions to bring it to the will call desk and they just left it outside the door. These people cant follow simple instructions and they expect a big tip before they deliver you food.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Thats why I go and get the food.

Today we had Door Dash deliver a order at the job. The issue is the building we are in has at least 3 separate business's. I work in a warehouse. So when you put the address in, it comes up to the building, not the unit. Most of these delivery drivers are too lazy or stupid to figure things out. OR the people who are are stupid and dont put the name of the business or unit they are in. So the food sat outside from about 10:45 am to noon when we went to lunch. The good news is its cold as balls outside due to winter, which means the food was probably still good. We tossed it in the fridge and waited to see if someone claimed it. But I dont think anyone did. Not sure if someone ate it. Once came back to work on the Monday and found an order from Saturday sitting outside our will call door. I ordered Door Dash once and gave instructions to bring it to the will call desk and they just left it outside the door. These people cant follow simple instructions and they expect a big tip before they deliver you food.

I agree, it's always better to go and get take out, but as student it is really difficult to own a car and also pay other bills and rent(which is hella expensive), so delivery is the next best option, and it just suck how horrible they treat you

2 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Learning to cook is a great alternative.  

Wow, it's like I didn't even mention that I CAN'T cook on my original post

3 hours ago, siddhesh8529 said:

I agree, it's always better to go and get take out, but as student it is really difficult to own a car and also pay other bills and rent(which is hella expensive), so delivery is the next best option, and it just suck how horrible they treat you

That's why I always exploited the free transit that I got while a student in BC.  It's slower but cheap.

Overall, it's the general business model of how things have to work.  They can't even think about fulfilling an order based on a guess that you might order...so that means needing to pay first so they could see about finding a driver.  Then you get the whole incentivized by tipping, which probably prioritizes people who effectively bid more than you.

In BC as well they are capped at fees they can charge restaurants as well, so it makes less incentive for them to prioritize orders that make them as a whole less money.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

9 hours ago, siddhesh8529 said:

thats why I said learn.  If you can't, find a way you can.

I've never used any food delivery apps, for a myriad of reasons (but mainly because I'm cheap). I barely use traditional food delivery, for that matter. I'll go pick it up myself if I want it that bad.

10 hours ago, siddhesh8529 said:

These convenience services are going to nickel and dime the average consumer to death. An extra $5 here, $10 there is affordably cheap now, but it adds up quicker than you think. Unfortunately it's a trap that's very difficult to get back out of.

That's one of many reasons I don't like these convenience service platforms. You're not guaranteed to get your order unless it's financially "worth it" for someone to bring it to you. If they're paid by the order, and they can deliver three orders in the city in the same amount of time it would take to bring you your one order, which are they going to pick? Would you have to tip the driver as much as they would've made on the other two orders for them to feel like your order's worth their time?

Wait, is this "I don't know how to cook", or "I don't have cooking facilities available for my use"? If you're in student housing, are you allowed to have a minifridge and microwave? (Hot plates are usually not allowed.) Does your building have a shared kitchen available?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

What I usually do is order for pick up and walk there myself to pick up. Good exercise 

Sudo make me a sandwich