Best Linux Device and Distro?

So I recently started taking a programming class and I’ve tried Linux and I really liked the fact that I could use it on anything but I’m not very good with it. Just wanted to ask if I wanted to buy a laptop for Linux, which should I use? On top of that, which distro should I use for things like programming? I’m really trying to go budget here and I’ve heard that thinkpads are really good. I don’t mind buying used! Thank you all!!

There is no such thing as best distro.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

There is no such thing as best distro.

They are all created equally, yes. Some more equal than others though, I would skip Manjaro or so for now. Mint I do like, I can recommend that.

7 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

I’m really trying to go budget here and I’ve heard that thinkpads are really good. I don’t mind buying used! Thank you all!!

Ask around, and ask the place you are taking the classes; they might have some old hardware laying around that you could use, throw a lightwheight OS on there and you are off to the races

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

The best flavor for Linux is the most common ones that new users can use off the bat and have been curated and refined over the years.

Of course the downside of linux is that when things go bad, you're gonna be troubleshooting and google for quite some time.

a few common flavors of linux are, all of them are "Easy to use" come with lots of support and are common use. All of them should run basically more or less fine.

Linux Mint
Ubuntu
Zorin OS > this is the closest for Windows from Linux. It mimics Windows and stuff, so if you need something that is window-ese then this is it.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

3 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

Just wanted to ask if I wanted to buy a laptop for Linux, which should I use?

Thinkpads usually have pretty good driver support for Linux, though realistically all laptops should behave well enough. 

4 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

On top of that, which distro should I use for things like programming?

You ask 10 Linux users, you'll get 11 answers. If you're just starting out, one of the Ubuntu flavors (standard Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, KDE Neon, Pop OS, etc.) is usually your best bet since they have the most support as most guides are designed around Ubuntu, but there are arguments to be made for other distros out there. 

9 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

So I recently started taking a programming class and I’ve tried Linux and I really liked the fact that I could use it on anything but I’m not very good with it. Just wanted to ask if I wanted to buy a laptop for Linux, which should I use? On top of that, which distro should I use for things like programming? I’m really trying to go budget here and I’ve heard that thinkpads are really good. I don’t mind buying used! Thank you all!!

All of these distro suggestions are great! Any laptop recommendations?

2 minutes ago, Max853lolz said:

All of these distro suggestions are great! Any laptop recommendations?

Maybe framework? Not the cheapest but repairable and upgradable.

14 hours ago, Max853lolz said:

Hey guys! Just letting you know that I picked up a thinkpad t440 with an i5 and 8gb of ram, but I’m still struggling on a distro. Right now I’m deciding between pop os and mint. If anyone has anything they would like to add feel free 🙂 can’t thank everyone enough for the responses

On 1/18/2024 at 12:43 PM, Max853lolz said:

Right now I’m deciding between pop os and mint

I would go Mint!

On 1/18/2024 at 5:43 AM, Max853lolz said:

Hey guys! Just letting you know that I picked up a thinkpad t440 with an i5 and 8gb of ram, but I’m still struggling on a distro. Right now I’m deciding between pop os and mint. If anyone has anything they would like to add feel free 🙂 can’t thank everyone enough for the responses

Mint will be the most trouble-free and stable compared to Pop!_OS.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain