Type C port on my Asus Prime Z690-P D4 board doesn't work.

Antulio_78

As the title says, my type c port isn't working. At all. I tried different cables, and plugged in different things and nothing. No power either. Won't charge my phone or anything. I've checked drivers, updated the bios to the latest version, and nothing. I don't really know what else to do. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? If there's any info you need let me know. Thank you all.

Note: I maybe thought that my motherboard was defective, but my brother just got the same line of board (asus primeZ790 ddr5) and his type c port is the same as mine. So maybe I'm missing something? idk. thanks again.

Edited by Antulio_78

No problems with any other port. Every other usb port works fine. I only have 1 type c and it's the only one that seems to be dead.

1 hour ago, SG-O said:

Do you have problems with your front , rear or both usb c ports?

No problems with any other port. Every other usb port works fine. I only have 1 type c and it's the only one that seems to be dead.

13 minutes ago, Antulio_78 said:

The PRIME Z690-P D4 has one rear usb c port and one connector for front panel usb c. My question was which of the two causes you problems.

5 minutes ago, SG-O said:

The PRIME Z690-P D4 has one rear usb c port and one connector for front panel usb c. My question was which of the two causes you problems.

Got you. The rear one.

12 minutes ago, Antulio_78 said:

Got you. The rear one.

Has the USB port never worked or is it a recent failure?

Did you get your board second hand or from a reputable retailer?

Have you changed settings in the bios?

What OS are you using?

6 minutes ago, SG-O said:

Has the USB port never worked or is it a recent failure?

Did you get your board second hand or from a reputable retailer?

Have you changed settings in the bios?

What OS are you using?

It has never worked as far as I can tell. I didn't try fresh out of the box. It has only been recently that I wanted to charge my phone and plugged it in and didn't do anything when I discovered it. I tested other things like ps5 controller, an oculus quest 2, etc. The board was brand new from best buy. No changes to the bios other than enabling rezisavle bar and xmp profile. And I'm using the latest version of windows 11.

All of this point towards a motherboard defect.

You could try clearing cmos/ resetting bios to defaults.

On thing I would try is using a usb c to micro usb adapter cable and test it with a known working usb 2.0 device (like an arduino board). 

On 1/15/2024 at 8:24 PM, Antulio_78 said:

As the title says, my type c port isn't working. At all. I tried different cables, and plugged in different things and nothing. No power either. Won't charge my phone or anything. I've checked drivers, updated the bios to the latest version, and nothing. I don't really know what else to do. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? If there's any info you need let me know. Thank you all.

Note: I maybe thought that my motherboard was defective, but my brother just got the same line of board (asus primeZ790 ddr5) and his type c port is the same as mine. So maybe I'm missing something? idk. thanks again.

1. Download Armory Crate and update all the things. I'm guessing you're both missing the chipset drivers.
  2. If that doesn't work, clear the CMOS.
  3. Open Device Manager and see if you have a Thunderbolt Controller listed, or if there's any devices marked as ⚠️
    Edit: No Thunderbolt Controller on your board... ignore this... I'm an idiot

Edited by problemsolver
Stupid

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

9 hours ago, problemsolver said:
  1. Download Armory Crate and update all the things. I'm guessing you're both missing the chipset drivers.
  2. If that doesn't work, clear the CMOS.
  3. Open Device Manager and see if you have a Thunderbolt Controller listed, or if there's any devices marked as ⚠️

I had tried that and updated everything on the "Update Center" and also in "Tools" -> "Driver" and everything is up to date. I will try to clear the CMOS when I have a chance but I actually don't see Thunderbolt Controller listed on my Device Manager. I don't see any device marked with a warning sign either. Do I need the Thunderbolt Controller?

On 1/15/2024 at 11:22 PM, SG-O said:

On thing I would try is using a usb c to micro usb adapter cable and test it with a known working usb 2.0 device (like an arduino board). 

Thank you for your time/help. I haven't been able to look at this. I'll be trying to clear my CMOS. I hope it works.

17 hours ago, problemsolver said:

Open Device Manager and see if you have a Thunderbolt Controller listed

The PRIME Z690-P D4 board does not have a thunderbolt controller! 

7 hours ago, Antulio_78 said:

I have a chance but I actually don't see Thunderbolt Controller listed on my Device Manager. I don't see any device marked with a warning sign either. Do I need the Thunderbolt Controller?

That is absolutely fine as your board has no thunderbolt controller integrated. As long as there are no warning sign everything looks to be a;right with your drivers!

1 hour ago, SG-O said:

The PRIME Z690-P D4 board does not have a thunderbolt controller! 

That is absolutely fine as your board has no thunderbolt controller integrated. As long as there are no warning sign everything looks to be a;right with your drivers!

Thanks for posting this... I did not research the specific motherboard.. so ignore that step 😄

On 1/15/2024 at 11:22 PM, SG-O said:

Am I misunderstanding the OP? I thought he was stating that both he and his brother (2 identical motherboards) have the same issue: USB-C no worky as seen below:

One would think the chances are low that they both have defective motherboards. Is this an incorrect interpretation of the above quote from the OP?