Slow iPhone hotspot to Windows but is fine with other devices?

Mr.Meerkat

I'm so confused, since I have no broadband these days, I'm hotspotting my mobile data (300GB allowance so plenty to go around) but I'm getting some funky results hotspotting to my desktop with my iPhone. 

iPhone 15 mobile data - 30ms ping, 34/11Mbps

Xperia 5 connected to iPhone- 34ms ping, 30/11Mbps 

iPad connected to iPhone - 32ms ping, 31/10Mbps 

Desktop connected to iPhone - 83ms ping, 10/3Mbps 

This is all using speedtest.net, connected to the same server. 

No real reason why the speeds should be so much worse connecting to my desktop so I test a little.

First I try hotspotting my iPad's connection to my desktop.

iPad mobile data - 15ms ping, 70/20Mbps (sadly only 40GB so can't just permanently use it) 

Desktop connected to iPad - 20ms ping, 65/19Mbps

Works just fine connected to my iPad.

Since Android allows you to hotspot a wifi connection, I try connecting my desktop to my Xperia's hotspot, which the xperia is connected to the iPhone's hotspot...

Hotspot-ception - 40ms ping, 26/8Mbps 

Same mobile data connection, is slow when I directly connect to the iPhone's hotspot but when I connect it via an android phone, it works normally? 

The only thing I can think of is my phone's network throttling "desktop" traffic, which when it goes via my Xperia, it tricks it into thinking it's traffic from a mobile device. However, that seems horribly convoluted and unlikely (or maybe it is the cause). 

I'm very confused, I don't suppose anyone has any ideas? TIA! 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

couldn't you just physically attach your IPHONE to your desktop, and connect to hotspot there? IT says that hotspots are capable of connecting via USB so try that and see if your speed improves

Also if your devices are all connected to the same hotspot it will lower the speed to your desktop. So limit the amount of devices. Also your Desktop might have tons of other stuff open/using internet which might've lowered the speed possibly

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, SImoHayha said:

couldn't you just physically attach your IPHONE to your desktop, and connect to hotspot there? IT says that hotspots are capable of connecting via USB so try that and see if your speed improves

Also if your devices are all connected to the same hotspot it will lower the speed to your desktop. So limit the amount of devices. Also your Desktop might have tons of other stuff open/using internet which might've lowered the speed possibly

Sadly my phone has to the ledge of a specific window so I'm able to receive 5G as otherwise I'm stuck with unusable 4G (broken mast). 

The only devices connected to the hotspot is my old android phone and my desktop (iPad has it's own connection, only connected to the hotspot for testing). The tests were ran multiple times with both only one device connected the hotspot and phone+desktop connected. 

It's odd and honestly doesn't make sense to me. Googling seems to suggest there's been something about Windows and iPhone hotspot not playing nice with each other for a while however. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Sadly my phone has to the ledge of a specific window so I'm able to receive 5G as otherwise I'm stuck with unusable 4G (broken mast). 

The only devices connected to the hotspot is my old android phone and my desktop (iPad has it's own connection, only connected to the hotspot for testing). The tests were ran multiple times with both only one device connected the hotspot and phone+desktop connected. 

It's odd and honestly doesn't make sense to me. Googling seems to suggest there's been something about Windows and iPhone hotspot not playing nice with each other for a while however. 

you could mak a "passive" antenna possibly. Like just toss your Phone into it and then let the signal boost. Though you'd need a pretty large can and one with aluminum or metal foil inside at that.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT