Single random crash

A few days ago I settled on 4.4GHz on the 3770k. I did the usual 4-6 hours of p95 and some ibt, everything went well. My renders do fine/etc.

Then randomly I'm just defragmenting my data drive and browsing the web and I get a hard crash >.< By hard I mean everything freezes and no responses but the computer is still on....

I am always running realtemp to watch my temps(somewhat obsessive) so I did see the temps on the frozen screen. I was sitting at 37C which is nowhere near bad. bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb(Sorry cat) Before this I've had no bouts of instability on this overclock/system.

Even when trying to find a decent stable OC speed I never had a hard crash, only BSODs and some reboots. So how should I interpret this?

Should I add more voltage to my Turbo offset or VCore? or might something else be at play?

Here are my settings

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

VCore offset: -0.010v

Turbo offset: 0.008v

LLC: 2

PLL: 1.709

I know someone is going to yell at me for undervolting

Also any tips on getting a cat to stop trying to eat your mic?

Ive seen people turn their turbo 'option' off when OCing.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Run Prime95 for a while, if it runs for 24 hours call it pretty "stable", but if not, change your volts until you achieve the 24 hour mark.

MEH

Ive seen people turn their turbo 'option' off when OCing.

I see. If all else fails I'll give it a shot xD

Run Prime95 for a while' date=' if it runs for 24 hours call it pretty "stable", but if not, change your volts until you achieve the 24 hour mark.[/quote']

Yeah it's been running for about 3 hours now(It ran for about 7 before in the night but windows updated in the middle of it -.-)

Today some new equipment is coming in so I'll try and run it all day tomorrow. Until things arrive I'll leave it running. Would using IBT help filter out issues quicker?

I was wondering if I should consider loosening my ram timings? I've already used memtest86 to test my ram for ~5 hours and it came out fine(I'm getting new ram today though, so I may need to restest)

Thanks for the help everyone.

Just checked my RAM timings and they automatically loosened themselves in-os -.-?

Stock timings(And what I personally set in the bios) are 9-9-9-24, and they report as 11-11-11-28 on windows o.O

Is this normal/okay?(Both the timings and my computer deciding this for itself.....)

I just rebooted and in the bios they were set to automatic, I changed them back to 9-9-9-24. Not sure if I should loosen them for my overclock but for now they're at their normal rated voltage&timings.

Just a reminder that its not always hardware that causes system freezes! It could very well be a driver or application.

The timings were relaxed so I highly doubt that's the issue. I would say put a bit more volts into it to see if that's the problem

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.