High Temps on 14600k

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

At default settings, Intel Undervolt Protection is usually enabled on the B660 boards. This will block undervolting. 

Have a look in the BIOS. In the AI Tweakers / Tweakers Paradise section, look for the Switch Microcode feature. If you select the early 0x104 microcode version, that will disable Undervolt Protection. 

Do not use the BIOS to undervolt. This part of the BIOS is broken. Try using ThrottleStop 9.6 instead. Open the FIVR window and set a negative offset voltage of -75 mV for both the core and the P cache. This should drop your load temperatures significantly. 

Here is an excellent guide that explains everything further. 

https://www.overclock.net/threads/guide-how-i-made-14700k-and-13900ks-usable-in-b660-motherboard.1809285/?post_id=29285373&nested_view=1#post-29285373

Post some ThrottleStop screenshots if you need help. Most people do not know about the limitations of the B660 boards. At least with your board there is an easy fix. If -75 mV is stable, try -100 mV, -125 mV etc. The K series CPUs use an excessive amount of voltage at default settings. That is why they run so hot. 

just finished benchmarking and i stopped at -225mv because i didnt think it would be worth it to try any lower and im not getting any less fps or score in cinebench so it seems to be going good, my temps have dropped about 10-20 degrees at idle and while running my games they also dropped 10-20 degrees so im really happy about that, thanks for helping me with this all cause i wouldnt know how to do it and id probably brick my system if i tried by myself

@Dream Driver 47

The K series CPUs are meant to be overclocked. When using them on B series boards that do not support overclocking, it does not make any sense why Intel has set the default voltage curve so high.

It was good timing. I remembered reading about this issue just the other day. I think most users try to undervolt in the BIOS and when it does not work, they give up. Drops of 10C to 20C with zero loss in performance makes for a much improved user experience.

If you have any crashes or random blue screens, just increase the voltage a little.

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@Dream Driver 47

The K series CPUs are meant to be overclocked. When using them on B series boards that do not support overclocking, it does not make any sense why Intel has set the default voltage curve so high.

It was good timing. I remembered reading about this issue just the other day. I think most users try to undervolt in the BIOS and when it does not work, they give up. Drops of 10C to 20C with zero loss in performance makes for a much improved user experience.

If you have any crashes or random blue screens, just increase the voltage a little.

i might even have to do this on my mums pc as she has a 14700k and even though i dont think it gets as hot ill still do it to make sure that it uses less power as we already pay way more then we should for power cause of all the devices we use

@Dream Driver 47

Can you post screenshots of the ThrottleStop FIVR and TPL windows? Sharing your settings will help other users that stumble across this info. 

What are your turbo power limits set to? Hopefully you can run Cinebench at full power and full speed with zero throttling. Open the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window and watch for any boxes lighting up red under the CORE column while Cinebench testing. 

22 hours ago, venomtail said:

NHD15 is an old cooler just like Dark Rock 4 Pro. Designed for CPU's several generations back. That being said they're still brute force big enough that they should be able to keep up, just aren't as efficient as their status was years ago.

Definitely the first thing we need to look into is changes that isn't really at the expense of a lot of money. Definitely look into a contact frame. We can hope that's the culprit.

To be fair on the AIR side Its still one of if not the best cpu cooler you can buy , problem is it costs the same as a decent AIO which will out perform it.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

47 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@Dream Driver 47

Maybe in the old days but now they boost like hell and power use be damned , No need to overclock because they come out the box overclocked.

All in an effort to get slightly more multi threaded performance than AMD , Because they certainly ain't competing on efficiency.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset