Unsupported CPU Installed error

So I have an old HP computer that I'm tinkering with and upgrading, mostly just for fun. It's the HP Pavilion p7-1027c if that's useful info at all. It came with an i3-2100 cpu, and I wanted to upgrade that to an i7-2600k. I got a used one from ebay and installed it. Upon booting, I got the unsupported cpu installed error. From what I read before buying it, these two cpus use the same socket, that being LGA1155.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but I can think of a few possible issues. Being an HP computer, it may have a weird motherboard that specifically limits the upgradability of certain components. I know Dell and HP are kind of notorious for that. It may also be a power issue, but I highly doubt it because I've already swapped the stock psu with a 500w 80 plus unit. It may also have been an error on my part with the installation of the new cpu. It's the first time I've actually removed and replaced a cpu, and I know it's not one of the more difficult parts of pc building, but maybe I screwed something up.

Anyway, does anyone know what the issue likely is, and if there may be a way I can solve it and still use the i7 in this pc? If not, oh well. I'm not out much. But improving my processing power would be nice.

38 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

So I have an old HP computer that I'm tinkering with and upgrading, mostly just for fun. It's the HP Pavilion p7-1027c if that's useful info at all. It came with an i3-2100 cpu, and I wanted to upgrade that to an i7-2600k. I got a used one from ebay and installed it. Upon booting, I got the unsupported cpu installed error. From what I read before buying it, these two cpus use the same socket, that being LGA1155.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but I can think of a few possible issues. Being an HP computer, it may have a weird motherboard that specifically limits the upgradability of certain components. I know Dell and HP are kind of notorious for that. It may also be a power issue, but I highly doubt it because I've already swapped the stock psu with a 500w 80 plus unit. It may also have been an error on my part with the installation of the new cpu. It's the first time I've actually removed and replaced a cpu, and I know it's not one of the more difficult parts of pc building, but maybe I screwed something up.

Anyway, does anyone know what the issue likely is, and if there may be a way I can solve it and still use the i7 in this pc? If not, oh well. I'm not out much. But improving my processing power would be nice.

While the two CPUs use the same socket and are both Sandy Bridge, it's possible HP has locked out the 2600k. Unfortunately, I cannot find any documentation for that model anymore as HP removers all product and support information off their website once a model is considered "retired", which is usually once a model is 10+ years old.  

I have found some references of i5-2400s and i7-2600s working. So take of that what you will. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

37 minutes ago, Norri_Rad said:

THIS.

Since you did get an error message, (Unsupported CPU)  you installed the chip you got for it correctly but that also means the system BIOS doesn't support it.
Unless there is a BIOS update for supporting the chip you got, it simply won't work.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

A lot of oem machines from around that time do have cpu whitelists to prevent the use of K skus or anything higher wattage. Though a lot of the time just doing a bios update will get past that. At least that’s the case for the older optiplex models I know of which did this, not sure with HP.

8 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

THIS.

Since you did get an error message, (Unsupported CPU)  you installed the chip you got for it correctly but that also means the system BIOS doesn't support it.
Unless there is a BIOS update for supporting the chip you got, it simply won't work.

Thanks for the insight. I'll take a peak for a BIOS update.

7 minutes ago, 8tg said:

A lot of oem machines from around that time do have cpu whitelists to prevent the use of K skus or anything higher wattage. Though a lot of the time just doing a bios update will get past that. At least that’s the case for the older optiplex models I know of which did this, not sure with HP.

Guess I'll look for a BIOS update, then. Thanks.

yea knowing HP at that specific time window. They likely locked it out due to power to save a single dollar on the mobo manufacturing side with low end VRMs. 

On 1/14/2024 at 11:50 PM, starsmine said:

yea knowing HP at that specific time window. They likely locked it out due to power to save a single dollar on the mobo manufacturing side with low end VRMs. 

Though to be fair, this is hardly an HP-only issue. Most DIY boards outside of the Z series (arguably even some Z series boards) at the time had pretty woeful VRMs that would likely melt under the draws of a K sku. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 1/14/2024 at 8:28 PM, Norri_Rad said:

You need a BIOS upgrade. If HP never created a BIOS to support such CPU, you're out of luck (unless, of course, you can hack your way through a custom BIOS).