What are some reliably good brands?

Go to solution Solved by RasmusDC,

it is also a moving world, i know ASUS RMA is piss poor, but i have for many many years just bought ASUS products, GPU´s Motherboards.. but after the the last board i got, and their voltage shit on my 7950x and just a reply on one of my older board where the 1gbit nic died, i don´t know anymore.. Asrock seems to actually be one of the cheaper partners that does well. MSI also

For instance i am also REALLY old, i remember the IBM DESKSTAR fiasko, where a harddrive would last like NO time, then die, then you get a refurbished then it died, they were SO poor. i think it is HGST today, i would not touch a drive like that.. just because of storyline.

I run mainly Ironwolf or exsos enterprise drives today. ran WD for a LONG time until the bullshit with shingled drives. this SMR bullshit was not OKAY, so for me WD died there, had a NAS fully populated with RED´s and Greens, but have not bought one since, i run 4 18TB Exos and 4 Ironwolf 12TB´s now

so again.. things change.. Fractal for cases has been a goto for me, generally good quality, good build, and fairly silent

Noctua for fans. ALWAYS, that is a place i have never changed, well in the old days we had noisekiller and other alternatives back when like we ran Pentium III´s and II´s and wanted to go silent.

I have had many other alternatives, and EXPENSIVE alternatives, and Noctua for me is always the SAME noise output, and no wierd like mechanical sounds, tried really expensive alternatives and have always been let down.

Also was a BIG Intel Fanboy for many years... mostly because of the old XP AMD that was sorry all over the place.

X86, Pentium 75mhz, Pentium II 233, Pentium 3 450, when people went netburst, i dropped out went socket 479 Mobile in a desktop board the 1.6ghz @ 2.5-6 that annihalated everyting, and then so many more..

tried a AMD64, which was okay, tried a XP2600 barton in a shuttle case which sucked, and since then my AMD 7950x is the first time i am back in AMD, and i love it.

I've heard of brands such as Seagate, Corsair, Razer, Origin, Asus, Etc. But I'm not really sure what ones I should use (or what ones I should avoid). Any suggestions?

Great news is, every brand you named there I would personally classify as making horrible garbage.

WD/Hitachi HDDs tend to be more reliable than Seagate, for watercoolers almost everything is better than Corsair (though their RAM is good), Razer's products are mediocre and overpriced, Origin PCs are way too expensive for the hardware you get, and almost everything Asus has ever made is e-waste.

What specifically are you looking for? Brand of what? If you're looking for PC part recommendations the "New builds and planning" section may be for you.

23 minutes ago, da na said:

Brand of what?

Sorry for not clarifying, I was asking for what brands would be a good choice for different things, like what would be a good one to buy a pre-built from, or what one would be a good choice for getting PC parts from, portable storage (SSDs or HDDs), or just any other random thing I could need. I don't have much (or really any) experience with different brands.

2 hours ago, da na said:

Great news is, every brand you named there I would personally classify as making horrible garbage.

WD/Hitachi HDDs tend to be more reliable than Seagate, for watercoolers almost everything is better than Corsair (though their RAM is good), Razer's products are mediocre and overpriced, Origin PCs are way too expensive for the hardware you get, and almost everything Asus has ever made is e-waste.

What specifically are you looking for? Brand of what? If you're looking for PC part recommendations the "New builds and planning" section may be for you.

I have to disagree with that statement for several reasons BUT at the same time Asus has gone downhill a little in recent times.

I've scored more WR's at the bot with an Asus than any other board make I've ever used,  including what was recently the WR in CPU frequency for doing a benchmark for a benchmarking result, not just for validation in CPU-Z.
Although it's no longer the absolute WR for that, it's still the record for such with an AMD chip that I know of to this day.

Any make can have good and bad ones.

It's a matter of what's proven itself across the board, not just with a couple of select examples out of what they make because you can cherry-pick those at will with any of them and call the entire brand "Garbage", no problem.

With some it's obvious and with others it takes a little bit of digging like you're doing now by asking the question in the first place - And it's a smart move. 👌

Seasonic for example is overall known for making a good PSU but even with that they have been known to have a few turds in their lineup too.

I do like WD over Seagate for a drive but I also have a couple of Seagates that have been fine too.

Corsair in my experience can be hit or miss but that's from my personal experience with them for system RAM, not cooling products so I can't comment about that in any meaningful way.
I will caution you however about using Corsair RAM with a Ryzen based system - It's best that you don't but for Intel setups it's fine.
If building a Ryzen based system use about anything else but Corsair, such as G. Skill for example and it should be OK.

If wanting to do a pre-built (You did drop a hint about it) well..... I can't answer that since I don't use those.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

it is also a moving world, i know ASUS RMA is piss poor, but i have for many many years just bought ASUS products, GPU´s Motherboards.. but after the the last board i got, and their voltage shit on my 7950x and just a reply on one of my older board where the 1gbit nic died, i don´t know anymore.. Asrock seems to actually be one of the cheaper partners that does well. MSI also

For instance i am also REALLY old, i remember the IBM DESKSTAR fiasko, where a harddrive would last like NO time, then die, then you get a refurbished then it died, they were SO poor. i think it is HGST today, i would not touch a drive like that.. just because of storyline.

I run mainly Ironwolf or exsos enterprise drives today. ran WD for a LONG time until the bullshit with shingled drives. this SMR bullshit was not OKAY, so for me WD died there, had a NAS fully populated with RED´s and Greens, but have not bought one since, i run 4 18TB Exos and 4 Ironwolf 12TB´s now

so again.. things change.. Fractal for cases has been a goto for me, generally good quality, good build, and fairly silent

Noctua for fans. ALWAYS, that is a place i have never changed, well in the old days we had noisekiller and other alternatives back when like we ran Pentium III´s and II´s and wanted to go silent.

I have had many other alternatives, and EXPENSIVE alternatives, and Noctua for me is always the SAME noise output, and no wierd like mechanical sounds, tried really expensive alternatives and have always been let down.

Also was a BIG Intel Fanboy for many years... mostly because of the old XP AMD that was sorry all over the place.

X86, Pentium 75mhz, Pentium II 233, Pentium 3 450, when people went netburst, i dropped out went socket 479 Mobile in a desktop board the 1.6ghz @ 2.5-6 that annihalated everyting, and then so many more..

tried a AMD64, which was okay, tried a XP2600 barton in a shuttle case which sucked, and since then my AMD 7950x is the first time i am back in AMD, and i love it.