Would you rather: 14900K & 4080 Super or 7950X3D & 7900 XTX for 4K gaming (non NA pricing)

Go to solution Solved by QuantumSingularity,

7800X3D + 7900XTX every day of the week. Upgradability + driver headroom is a very strong point for AMD at that time. As for mobo, well i've been so impressed with AsRock's Steel Legend series, that if it was my build, i would go straight for X670E Steel Legend. It's not top of the line model, but it's certainly one of the best value mobos you can get with X670E.

Hey guys,

Right at the start let me clarify two things:

1. I know that comparisons between all listed parts have been extensively documented and that there are multitude of threads on many many forums (even I made one here a year ago). I get that. However, I do not live in NA region and prices are significantly different for me. I live in Europe (Poland) and the price of 7900 XTX here is roughly 1280 USD. On a side note - 4090 goes for roughly 2500 USD. I hope that gives you, dear reader, perspective as to why I've felt like I need to make yet another thread. 

2. This post is not a troll. Those prices are real and I actually want to buy this stuff, but I need help deciding, since prices between listed components are so close I need to choose by going strictly by absolute best performance and not value.

Right, with that out the way, let's get to fun part - since 4080 Super is going to launch on 31st of January, I've wanted to ask what should I do. I was already settled on going team red all the way, but now I'm not so sure, because of the price drop on that new 4080.

Like I already mentioned - 7900 XTX is 1280 USD here (Nitro+ to be specific) and the regular 4080 is 1500 USD (you read that right, almost as much as 4090 in NA). With the new price drop 4080 Super is expected to be around 1280 USD too and not for a reference design either, I think something like Zotac Extreme Airo should go for that much. Should I wait and see what the new 4080 can do, even if that could be like 5% more FPS? This is basically a vacuum scenario, where price doesn't matter, because it's the same. Only pure performance matters here.

Same story with CPUs - both 14900K and 7950X3D are close to 710 USD here. So again - which one would be best in a vacuum where their price is the same?

Rest of the components (basically settled, some of this stuff I already have):

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCue LINK H170i (top exhaust) [got it]

MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero OR Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero

RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 Mhz CL30 OR Corsair Dominator Titanium 7000 Mhz CL34 

PSU: Corsair RM1200x Shift [got it]

Case: Corsair 7000D Airflow [got it]

Cooling: 4x Corsair AF120 Elite (side intake) // 4x Corsair QX120 RGB (front intake) // 1x Corsair AF 120 Elite (rear exhaust) [got them all]

Display: LG C2 48" 

Same as before - those MOBO & RAM pairings cost me the same. If you're curious why such components - I'm a flat out purist douche. I'm willing to pay extra for aesthetics and controlling my RGB from one app. I'm also a big Corsair fanboy and I'm never buying anything from Gigabyte ever again (their customer support proved to be trash on multiple occasions for me). I'm also switching from 3700X & 5700 XT which both IMHO aged like fine wine in 1440p, but struggle with 4K.

This rig may be used for productivity later down the line, as of right now however it's mainly for gaming in 4K. Ray-tracing is optional to me to be honest.

What I play - I actually have a huge backlog of games I wanted to replay or experience for the first time in 4K.

Some of those games are - Borderlands 3, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Battlefield 2042, The Crew Motorfest, Forza Horizon 5, Forza Motorsport, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3, Dying Light 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, AC Mirage & Valhalla & Odyssey & Origins, God of War and many many more.

To sum up - prices are the same, only performance and technology matters, what do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Since you know all the information, why can't you make a decision with your own money, for your own needs?

It's not like you're coming here uninformed, needing additional information or clarity.

7800X3D + 7900XTX.

Whoever considers a 14900K for gaming... you said it best.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

None of those makes sense for 4k gaming. 7800x3D if all you are doing is gaming. 7950x3D has issues with scheduling and is not recommended. 

14700k if going intel, just because its slightly easier to cool and its gaming performance is damn near identical to 13900k/14900k. 14900k Makes 0 sense for gaming, you still only get 8 PCores, ecores are for productivity tasks. If all you do is gaming 14700k if buying new.

Dont get an ASUS board, they have fallen off the cliff for quality. Especially with an X3D CPU, those issues have been fixed but there is always a chance they push out a bios that does it all again.

RAM. Stick with Cl 30 6000 mhz ram, get 2x32 if you need capacity for other stuff then gaming, otherwise a 2x16 cl 30 6000 kit is more then enough for gaming.

Dont need all those fans. Also consider that hooking those up will be an absolute nightmare, getting them to work together will also be a pain in the ass that you honestly dont need. The Lianli Linked fans, or the thermaltake ones are much easier to use and install if you want RBG fans.

@Shimejii What board manufacturer would you recommend then? Like I said Gigabyte is a no-go for me, unless there is a valid reason for their boards. Is Aorus Master X670E good then? Or something like MSi Carbon?

@Dedayog It's precisely because I've read some articles and stuff, that I now cannot make a decision 🙂 You both already dettered me from getting top of the line CPU. Remaining question is if it's worth it to wait for 4080 Super or is 7900 XTX a better choice anyway. Fine wine and all that. 

4 minutes ago, Chaoson said:

@Shimejii What board manufacturer would you recommend then? Like I said Gigabyte is a no-go for me, unless there is a valid reason for their boards. Is Aorus Master X670E good then? Or something like MSi Carbon?

@Dedayog It's precisely because I've read some articles and stuff, that I now cannot make a decision 🙂 You both already dettered me from getting top of the line CPU. Remaining question is if it's worth it to wait for 4080 Super or is 7900 XTX a better choice anyway. Fine wine and all that. 

Gigabyte has been fine for AMD Cpus, MSI has been fine as well. Usually its board to board rather then as an overall brand, they all have their shit boards but some more then others, and support as well matters. Look up different reviews on each board that you like, pros and cons etc.

Realistically your chose comes down to DO you want ray tracing or not. If at any point you want to try ray tracing, go Nvidia. They are far ahead of AMD in this regard. If you dont really care about it, then go AMD or whichever is the better deal in your region.

I'm just surprised that I shouldn't go with Asus. It's honestly a bummer. 

I was hoping that choosing in a "vacuum" would be easier since I do not have such a thing as a better deal in my region, I'm basically gonna get ripped off either way... 

Just get a 7800x3d and be done with it assuming all you do is gaming

For the mobo dont get a top of the line board as those are literally pointless for anything but dual/triple gpu setups and/or shittons of nmve drives and wont do you any good for overclocking either, id reccomend a midranger or a higher end board like the b650 pg lightning, aorus elite, b650e taichi lite, pg riptide, etc. b650e taichi lite or x670e-a/f if you want to play with overclocking x3d cpus, Though in reality a lowend board like the b650m hdv/pro rs will be more than enough with its overbuilt vrm thatll handle an overclocked 7950x and 14 total usb a ports (6 rear 8 internal)

Ram wise just get whatevers the cheapest 6400c32 kit, if the cpu cant handle 6400 just downclock to ~6200

I probably should have mentioned that I need my MOBO with S/PDIF for my audio setup and dual internal USB 3's for front USB on the case, because I frequently use them all. 

I kind of understand now why Asus boards are not recommended for 7000 Ryzen after watching GN's video about CPUs melting. Dunno if it's still a thing, but the concept is scary... 

17 minutes ago, Chaoson said:

S/PDIF

Optical spdif or just standard cord? because the latter hasnt been in action for a hot while. B650 Livemixer comes with optical spdif port and theyre really well built. They just look hideous with the color splatter aesthetic.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

11 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

B650 Livemixer

Yea, that's a hard pass for me. Splatters are not my thing. 

I meant optical S/PDIF - I'm using a Sonos Ray for some content and PreSonus Eris 3.5 for other. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I like flexibility. 

Just now, Chaoson said:

Yea, that's a hard pass for me. Splatters are not my thing. 

I meant optical S/PDIF - I'm using a Sonos Ray for some content and PreSonus Eris 3.5 for other. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I like flexibility. 

MSI B650 edge also has them but theyre a bit steep in cost thats why i havent mention them. Theyre also one of the better boards in terms of build quality.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I would go with a 7800x3D and a 4090

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

I would go with a 7800x3D and a 4090

I would go with a 4090 too, but not for 2500 USD. 

7800X3D + 7900XTX every day of the week. Upgradability + driver headroom is a very strong point for AMD at that time. As for mobo, well i've been so impressed with AsRock's Steel Legend series, that if it was my build, i would go straight for X670E Steel Legend. It's not top of the line model, but it's certainly one of the best value mobos you can get with X670E.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |