Wanting to mod Zalman CNPS9900 Max

I'd like to know if anybody might be able to help me out with a couple questions about making slight modifications to the CNPS9900.

CNPS9900-MAX-BLUE_BigProductImage.jpg

Basically, I'd like to try and replace the blue/red LEDs with white. Has anybody done that to this cooler before? Any advice?

Or, if that proves to be too complicated for a novice because the fan is not supposed to be removable, is there an easy way to disable the LED entirely? Like just snip a wire somewhere?

Thanks!

I'd like to know if anybody might be able to help me out with a couple questions about making slight modifications to the CNPS9900.

Basically, I'd like to try and replace the blue/red LEDs with white. Has anybody done that to this cooler before? Any advice?

Or, if that proves to be too complicated for a novice because the fan is not supposed to be removable, is there an easy way to disable the LED entirely? Like just snip a wire somewhere?

Thanks!

Well the LEDs get power from the same wires as the fan, so snipping a wire isn't possible.

I'd just remove the fan altogether by breaking off/ or unscrewing the metal piece holding the core of the fan.

12_z99_frr_big.jpg

And then just find some ghetto way to mount a fan with white LED's onto it, which shouldn't be too hard with all the grooves on the heatsink.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Well the LEDs get power from the same wires as the fan, so snipping a wire isn't possible.

I'd just remove the fan altogether by breaking off/ or unscrewing the metal piece holding the core of the fan.

12_z99_frr_big.jpg

And then just find some ghetto way to mount a fan with white LED's onto it, which shouldn't be too hard with all the grooves on the heatsink.

Interesting... I think this could be a doable project for me. Thank you!

Keep in mind that blue LEDs usually use 3 - 4 v, maybe more. Red ones 2.0 - 2.2 v or lower. White ones should be the same as blue. If you have blue and want to use white, it's easy, just solder off and on. If you have red and you want white, simply replacing them may not work since the voltage may not be enough.

For more information, try this:

http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm

Keep in mind that blue LEDs usually use 3 - 4 v, maybe more. Red ones 2.0 - 2.2 v or lower. White ones should be the same as blue. If you have blue and want to use white, it's easy, just solder off and on. If you have red and you want white, simply replacing them may not work since the voltage may not be enough.

For more information, try this:

http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm

Thank you for the info and the link, I'll check that out. I was planning on modding the blue version, so the white and blue being the same voltage is nice and convenient. :)