Goodbye RGB

wow...

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

Jesus that's some way to stop the rgb....

Are you really going to do that with every rgb light on your ram sticks? 

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

You're better off buying a kit that doesn't have RGB then selling your old kit that does to recoup the costs. But if you want a fun project, well, there ya go.

Doing this now.

Adding solder with flux, then hot air and soldering iron. Fairly sure it’ll still work after. Hopefully. 

IMG_8546.jpeg

Just now, TempestCatto said:

You're better off buying a kit that doesn't have RGB then selling your old kit that does to recoup the costs. But if you want a fun project, well, there ya go.

Oh the next upgrade will be that. This is from a prebuilt computer. 

19 minutes ago, Avaviel said:

You couldn't just install OpenRGB and tell it to turn off the LEDs?

On Windows this works with all my devices and some memory kits will even remember the last state so on my Linux rig I booted into Windows once to turn them off using the official software, then never had to do it again.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I have used it, and I was able to control the memory RGB. But I’m just tired of having extra software. This is a thing that I’ve been doing for around 10 years now. For example, RGB fans where I could just snip the RGB.

Why not just buy stuff that doesn't have rgb?

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

17 minutes ago, Bagzie said:

Why not just buy stuff that doesn't have rgb?

2 hours ago, Avaviel said:

See previous reply.

I was in a program where they “give computers that match the vocational needs of the Veteran*.” I do CAD work, and the system was a prebuilt gaming machine. Funny how a gaming computer and a CAD workstation that is affordable are nearly the same thing. 

*Voc Rehab, a program by the US government and the VA. If you’re over 20% service connected disabled, they’ll pay for training in a new field with the goal of you getting a job. College too, if your chosen field involves that. 

More progress! In between dinner and some YouTube, have the ram sticks desoldered and cleaned up with alcohol.

I’ll install them and update y’all on if they work or not.

IMG_8551.thumb.jpeg.145a6fdf08d6f95122d2d878b8b0d6b1.jpeg

And up and running! No lights! 

IMG_8553.jpeg

well good job, i guess, but it would have been easier to just cover up the window if you're so adverse to additional software

18 minutes ago, Lunar River said:

well good job, i guess, but it would have been easier to just cover up the window if you're so adverse to additional software

I've done that before. Easy is... not a positive or good reason to do things. Much better to push yourself.

This is a better way, for me, as I already have the tools in the same room where the PC is... and because I'm sleeping here tonight, the lights won't keep me up!

And this silly love for extra software to control RGB... when it's simple I'll come back to RGB. (Ten years?)

Edit: There was another thread with similar info here, so me doing this could maybe instruct others in the future.

@Levent

On 8/20/2021 at 1:01 AM, Levent said:
  • Remove the shroud/heatspreader of your ram very carefully.
  • Desolder each LED module with a hot air gun/SMD rework gun.
  • Those "batteries" are the LED modules.

You gonna need:

• SMD reworkstation
  • Flux (there are different variants of it)
  • Solder (if you ever want to solder those back)
  • Kapton tape
  • Willingness to risk breaking those rams due to lack of experience.

Thanks for the instructions in this thread! The last tip was especially helpful 😂

5 hours ago, Avaviel said:

I have used it, and I was able to control the memory RGB. But I’m just tired of having extra software. This is a thing that I’ve been doing for around 10 years now. For example, RGB fans where I could just snip the RGB.

Yeah but RAM often has lifetime warranties, I wouldn't want to invalidate it personally.

I agree on the software though.  I mean they could simply default all RGB to off then anyone not wanting it has no BS to deal with in the first place.  Its easy enough to turn off motherboard RGB from the UEFI, its silly that RAM is so complicated.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah but RAM often has lifetime warranties, I wouldn't want to invalidate it personally.

I agree on the software though.  I mean they could simply default all RGB to off then anyone not wanting it has no BS to deal with in the first place.  Its easy enough to turn off motherboard RGB from the UEFI, its silly that RAM is so complicated.

Good point!

I uploaded a video with the process I used to remove them. Might be useful for someone in the future. I stopped using hot air, and just added a ton of solder+angled tip.

Also, take a look at how the LED bleached the board. It is easier to see IRL. But of course I replaced the cover, so it isn't as easy to see now.

2024-01-0810_37_21.thumb.jpg.c23799142c966b63c38f3f0ec3a084db.jpg