What's the best way to read digital comic books?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I've been reading comic books on my laptops for quite a while, but I have to admit that the experience isn't particularly great. This week, I switched from a 13" MacBook Air to an LG Gram 16, and besides the larger screen that's about the same size as a physical book, the reading experience gets tiresome after a while. I think it has to do with the backlighting. I'm considering going back to paper books after more than a decade of on-screen reading. I'm still curious to see if I'm missing something on the digital side. I've seen that iPads are often recommended, but I don't think it would address the eye strain issue. There are a few color e-readers out there, but the colors appear washed out on those.

So let me know if there's a track I haven't explored before going back to paper books.

Try blue light filter computer glasses without the yellow tint.

I know people are going to say it's placebo, or not studied thoroughly, but if it works then it works right?

Nah, I think the eye strain issue would be a little alleviated with a tablet. You have much more freedom to move around the screen compared to how cumbersome a laptop/computer is.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Dimming the screen and setting it to a "warm" color profile (like "night light" in Windows and "night shift" on iOS) should help.

I use a Switch Lite as my winding-down viewing, and after putting it down and turning the light off I see a flickering in the dark for a few minutes. Maybe that's an after effect of PWM backlighting?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Dimming the screen and setting it to a "warm" color profile (like "night light" in Windows and "night shift" on iOS) should help.

I use a Switch Lite as my winding-down viewing, and after putting it down and turning the light off I see a flickering in the dark for a few minutes. Maybe that's an after effect of PWM backlighting?

I hate the night light mode in general, but a huge part of the experience when reading comic books is the graphics/colors. Anything affecting the colors is a no-no for me.

14 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Try blue light filter computer glasses without the yellow tint.

I know people are going to say it's placebo, or not studied thoroughly, but if it works then it works right?

Nah, I think the eye strain issue would be a little alleviated with a tablet. You have much more freedom to move around the screen compared to how cumbersome a laptop/computer is.

Wouldn't a Galaxy Tab be a better option due to the OLED screen (and potentially cheaper price, especially refurbished)?

14 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Wouldn't a Galaxy Tab be a better option due to the OLED screen (and potentially cheaper price, especially refurbished)?

I would think it would be harsher on your eyes if you're constantly viewing materials with extreme black and white contrast. It's the reason why most websites are dark gray instead of black.

If you have the budget, any iPad in the last 5 years (probably even older!) is a perfectly suitable device for e-reading in terms of software stability and performance.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

A decent sized tablet in portrait mode would be ideal surely?

AMD 3900XT | ROG STRIX B550-E Gaming | Corsair RGB Pro 3600MHZ CL18

WD_Black SN850 1TB | WD_Black SN770 2TB | Noctua NH12-U |

ROG STRIX RTX 3080 12GB | Corsair HX1200 80+Platinum | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Asus Predator X34 (3440x1440) | 2x AOC Q32V3S/WS (2560x1440) |  Asus ROG Strix ROGSCABBARD Eva Edition deskmat |

On 1/6/2024 at 4:57 PM, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

So let me know if there's a track I haven't explored before going back to paper books.

The question is how deep are you into the hobby?  There are a FEW color E-ink devices out there.   If you don't mind paying the early adopter tax of either paying too much OR paying for a device that becomes abandoned when one of the big market movers uses color e ink.  

Like the 500 dollar Boox tab ultra. 

You could tough things out with the screen you have for now, then get a Color E-ink Kindle when they come out.  Amazon has to be thinking about this.  There does exist a Lenovo Think book with an E-Ink second screen.  I had the money and it was even in stock I'd get it.  

There is always one last resort.  If you have a printer and really really want to read a particular comic you could print it out. 

The TCL NXTPAPER line of devices either use RLCD or a paperlike LCD. Those devices may be up your alley if you want paperlike reading but with the colors of LCD. There is even a NXTPAPER phone for $200 if you're interested.