Overheating or not? I7-14700k

Dewiie
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

Those chips are designed to be pegged at 100C, so it's not dangerous. It does mean that the CPU is thermal throttling though and that you're going to be losing some performance when compared to a higher end cooler. 

If you don't have a contact frame, consider getting one as it's quite a bit cheaper than a new AIO and it helps improve temps quite a bit, though admittedly for a 14700K, a 360mm AIO is a pretty good idea. 

Hey so i just upgraded my cpu to an I7-14700k for my school works which include lots of rendering, i know that 14th gen is pretty hot in general, when im gaming the temp is around 60-75c which i though was fine and normal (idle temp is around 35 to 40c). Tho when i render a scene in Maya 3D my cpu runs almost 100% and when it does that the temp is 100c or around that +-5. Is this something to be concerned of? Right now i use the artic liquid ii 240 aio pump as my cpu cooler, would it be a good idea for me to upgrade to a 360 one instead?

Those chips are designed to be pegged at 100C, so it's not dangerous. It does mean that the CPU is thermal throttling though and that you're going to be losing some performance when compared to a higher end cooler. 

If you don't have a contact frame, consider getting one as it's quite a bit cheaper than a new AIO and it helps improve temps quite a bit, though admittedly for a 14700K, a 360mm AIO is a pretty good idea. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

ok thanks for the information, but does it damaged the cpu perminantly by it running this hot??? or is just that i losing some performance while it being at that high temp?

23 minutes ago, Dewiie said:

ok thanks for the information, but does it damaged the cpu perminantly by it running this hot??? or is just that i losing some performance while it being at that high temp?

It's just losing some performance, they're designed to run at 100C for a few years without issue. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's just losing some performance, they're designed to run at 100C for a few years without issue. 

alright, thank you 🙂