Laptop weird wifi connection

6Anton

Hello, I bought a 2nd hand laptop for my niece the wireless connection keeps disconnecting every 10-20 mins, everytime when I look at 'change adapter option' it was disabled and when you enable it doesn't do anything, the weird part sometimes the entire thing disappears the wifi adapter and now the wifi device was hidden in 'device manager' when I click show hidden devices. Note that everytime the laptop disconnects windows will ask me to restart the computer for the changes to take effect, and I look at device manager the wifi device it say's restart required something along that line, but I didn't do any changes? and when I followed windows to restart the whole Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is missing from device manager no it's not hidden it's gone as if I uninstalled it along with the driver, It doesn't reinstall even when I restart.

I watch countless youtube videos but the only fix is temporary in cmd run as admin:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
and then restart.

Dell Latitude 5285
Windows 10 Pro 22H2
i5-7300U/8GB ram

wifi device - Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
current driver - 20.70.32.1 (07/24/2022)

I've used this laptop for a week and I did OS refresh before giving it to her during that week I haven't encountered any dc but after the refresh it's going nuts, I shouldn't have done that now idk what to do. The wifi latest driver from intel site doesn't seem to work I installed restart and it didn't change the driver version or date. The Dell one works but outdated.

I would get another Wifi Driver from Lenovo actually

Not sure why but sometimes, when I use a wifi driver from them instead it wifi works.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds549880-intel-8265-wireless-lan-driver-for-windows-10-version-1803-or-before-thinkpad

try this and see if it works

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Hey unfortunately it doesn't work, It's acting like the intel ones no version/date change after restart. Maybe because it's .exe? I think I'm doing something wrong during installation, but If I remember in the past I usually get rar files when updating network drivers and inside a folder then you use device manager to update.

On 12/26/2023 at 12:35 AM, 6Anton said:

Hey unfortunately it doesn't work, It's acting like the intel ones no version/date change after restart. Maybe because it's .exe? I think I'm doing something wrong during installation, but If I remember in the past I usually get rar files when updating network drivers and inside a folder then you use device manager to update.

you should press the reply button when answering that way people get a notification.

Uninstall the old drivers or the current ones you have. Then reinstall the lenovo ones and see if that works.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

On 12/28/2023 at 12:28 AM, Ramamataz said:

you should press the reply button when answering that way people get a notification.

Uninstall the old drivers or the current ones you have. Then reinstall the lenovo ones and see if that works.

Hello sorry about that, I somehow fixed it. I installed Dell SupportAssist which scans missing/outdated drivers and found 7 critical update which includes 2 wifi related and 1 bios update. The laptop seems stable now though I still get dc but reconnects right away unlike before I needed to do temporary fix I provided above which is too much for me. Anyways thank you for your time!