Yet another gpu recommendation thread.

x Princess Leliana x

Looking to upgrade from my aging 2070 super, which is still good, but it's definitely showing its age in my render times.

I don't need hyper specific recommendations, or links to buy online, I can do that myself, but the gpu market has moved on a lot since I got my card (3000 wasn't even out!) so I don't know where to begin or what cards I should be looking at. Do I go nvidia or amd, 3000 or 4000, etc etc. 

I will primarily be using the system for 3d modelling work, with gaming on the side, though I rarely do heavy gaming so the best best performance there isn't necessary. I feel NVIDIA is best here because of the encoding power, though I am open to trying amd since I have a ryzen 5900x to pair it with that seems bottlenecked by the poor 2070s.

I'm in the UK, budget would be around £300 though of course that matters little over the christmas period when there will be sales and the pricing of things will change, another reason why I just want some general parts recs, I can find the deals on my own. 

Thanks guys~

1 hour ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

Looking to upgrade from my aging 2070 super, which is still good, but it's definitely showing its age in my render times.

I don't need hyper specific recommendations, or links to buy online, I can do that myself, but the gpu market has moved on a lot since I got my card (3000 wasn't even out!) so I don't know where to begin or what cards I should be looking at. Do I go nvidia or amd, 3000 or 4000, etc etc. 

I will primarily be using the system for 3d modelling work, with gaming on the side, though I rarely do heavy gaming so the best best performance there isn't necessary. I feel NVIDIA is best here because of the encoding power, though I am open to trying amd since I have a ryzen 5900x to pair it with that seems bottlenecked by the poor 2070s.

I'm in the UK, budget would be around £300 though of course that matters little over the christmas period when there will be sales and the pricing of things will change, another reason why I just want some general parts recs, I can find the deals on my own. 

Thanks guys~

Errm an used 2070 is still worth like £150-200, you won't get much more performance with a new £300 card, especially if you need a NVidia card for 3D modelling, you can only get the atrocious 4060...

Really the cheapest decent NVidia card to get atm is the 4070 but it's £550 (iirc a new 2070 at launch was $500/£450 or so already)

image.png.921e2f412fb8bdfb347440fae747397f.png

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

If you go for Geforce 30xx series don't buy from Gigabyte.

Their 30xx cards can break at the pci-e connection. Google about it there are plenty of info about it.

9 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Errm an used 2070 is still worth like £150-200, you won't get much more performance with a new £300 card, especially if you need a NVidia card for 3D modelling, you can only get the atrocious 4060...

Really the cheapest decent NVidia card to get atm is the 4070 but it's £550 (iirc a new 2070 at launch was $500/£450 or so already)

image.png.921e2f412fb8bdfb347440fae747397f.png

Surprising to see the market hasn't moved on that much. Things worth almost as much as I paid for it last, really? Maybe I'll hold on then, thank you.

Spend more and get RTX 3080 instead.

RTX 3080 is about twice as fast as RTX 2070 Super in OctaneBench, OctaneRender, Blender, V-Ray, Arnold, Keyshot and RedShift.

This includes latest RTX 4000 series, RX 7000 series and ARC series

https://techgage.com/article/a-look-at-nvidias-geforce-rtx-4060-8gb-rendering-performance/

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

27 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

Spend more and get RTX 3080 instead.

RTX 3080 is about twice as fast as RTX 2070 Super in OctaneBench, OctaneRender, Blender, V-Ray, Arnold, Keyshot and RedShift.

This includes latest RTX 4000 series, RX 7000 series and ARC series

https://techgage.com/article/a-look-at-nvidias-geforce-rtx-4060-8gb-rendering-performance/

But you can't really get one new usually... have to go used 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

15 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

But you can't really get one new usually... have to go used 

buying a new RTX 3080 does not make any sense. OP also said he is looking to buy used.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

3080/3090/ti / 4090

dont go amd if your primary use is 3d modeling. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

Looking at used stuff with that graph to help me, I can comfortably get a 3070?

it's  not that much better than a 2070, so unless u get it really cheap...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity