How to make my "processing" server running Emby play nice with my NAS

LouKs

Hi, I have 2 servers in my house:

- "GlaDOS" - an old phenom II x4 / 4gb / 18tb / truenas bluefin OS - and I don't run any containers in this one, just the NAS OS and nothing more.

- "Atlas" - a modern AMD Ryzen 7000 / 32gb / 512nvme / Ubuntu OS - for processing and running lots of containers and vm

all my network is connected using 2.5g ethernet

my problem is when running emby, if I access my NAS directly and put some media files there, it takes a good while before they show up on emby UI. Same deal if my qBitTorrent client running on Atlas put files on the NAS, take a while before they show up.

Researching a little, I found out that NFS and SAMBA both does NOT support INotify on network-mounted volumes; and that's required for emby to update quickly when adding new media.

The question is: is there any way to make emby play nice with the NAS? moving the emby container to the GlaDOS server is out of the question because of processing constraints of that server's processor and memory

thanks!

2 hours ago, LouKs said:

- "GlaDOS" - an old phenom II x4 / 4gb / 18tb / truenas bluefin OS - and I don't run any containers in this one, just the NAS OS and nothing more.

- "Atlas" - a modern AMD Ryzen 7000 / 32gb / 512nvme / Ubuntu OS - for processing and running lots of containers and vm

my problem is when running emby, if I access my NAS directly and put some media files there, it takes a good while before they show up on emby UI. Same deal if my qBitTorrent client running on Atlas put files on the NAS, take a while before they show up.

Researching a little, I found out that NFS and SAMBA both does NOT support INotify on network-mounted volumes; and that's required for emby to update quickly when adding new media.

The question is: is there any way to make emby play nice with the NAS? moving the emby container to the GlaDOS server is out of the question because of processing constraints of that server's processor and memory

thanks!

With Plex, you can set a schedule to update, I think I have mine set at 15 minutes? 

Beyond that, I am not sure what you can do. If you don’t need to transcode, which if you’re only watching media locally, it should run fine on that phenom if you were to run emby on that machine. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

It seems you are familiar with virtualization. Why not just retiring GLaDOS, and migrating the hard drives to Atlas? A TrueNAS virtual machine can be established on Atlas, and mount these drives flawlessly, with Plex or something else running on it or another VM to arrange media.🤔

Thank you for the suggestions.

I actually had the emby server originally running on the GlaDOS nas, but I started having some problems with the containers management on the truenas, where it would simply not start the containers anymore and I had to delete and create all container again. That's when I decided to not run anything on it.

I wish I could move all HDD to the Atlas server, But it is a simple mini PC, specifically the Beelink SER6 Pro, so no way to do that.

I'm actually baffled the linux community didn't figure this out yet, seems to be quite an old issue.
I'm still open to more suggestions :)

• 1 month later...

I wanted to share my current solution to this, long story short, there's no way to do what I want. so instead I did this:

just to review, my server names: NAS = GlaDOS, Processing power house server = Atlas

1. Remove any previous network shares on GlaDOS

2. Create a single NFS share on GlaDOS with access to the whole dataset, with access limited to only the IP of Atlas

3. On Atlas, configure the NFS share to automatically mount and then use this mount point for any other network shares

Doing things this way makes sure the file system on Atlas can pickup any new changes to files on GlaDOS, the downside is that now there's some overhead of going through Atlas first before I can reach the files on GlaDOS, but transfer speeds are still the same as before at 1.2Gbps, so I'm good.

Thanks for the previous suggestions.

On 12/20/2023 at 8:46 AM, LouKs said:

I have one server named GlaDOS, the other is Cortana!

There is also rsync which I have used to batch move stuff over from an "online media discovery server" on a specific vpn/vlan to my main array that jellyfin watches.

Good to know!

However, rsync is marked as deprecated and up for removal on truenas jellyfin