Off and On crashing with VGA debug light

RG_Tech

Build: All used parts, except for RAM

Mobo - Asus B550-F Gaming

CPU - Ryzen 5800X3D

RAM - Kingston Fury Renegade DDR4 32gb CL16 3600mhz 

GPU - Zotac 1080ti AMP Extreme

PSU - EVGA Supernova 850 P2

So, the issue is off and on with no really answer or fix that I can figure out. There is no overclock due to the issues I’m having although I did have the GPU overlocked when I first got it with no issues at first, until my first crash and then I removed all overclock settings. My computer will randomly crash while playing games with no rhyme or reason and in reboot will display a VGA issue on the mobo. Sometimes it’s back to back within minutes and other times it could be a few weeks in between crashes. Most of the time all I have to do is resintall the GPU and it goes away for a little bit and other times, it will reboot on its own just fine. Other times, I just leave it off for a little while and boot up and it’s fine. I don’t think it’s a temp issue as before while gaming I’ve had some monitoring software open and it showed that my GPU temps never exceeded 75C. I never had this issue before with my 1070 or 1080 on the AM4 platform or any GPU with my older Intel i7-7700K on the Asus Tuff Z270 Mark 2. I have 2 separate VGA 8pin cables going to the GPU. I haven’t tried just one as I don’t have a cable that breaks off. 

My mobo bios is fully up to date, everything is seated properly, all drivers and firmware with the GPU are up to date and good to go. It’s just so random that it’s been impossible to figure out why it’s happening. 

I’m really at a loss here and before I break and just by a new GPU I’m reaching out for help to see if anything can resolve this. My 1080ti is fine for my needs at 1080p. It’s also not possible for me to try the 1070 or 1080 anymore as I sold them because the 1080ti that I got worked perfectly for about 4 months until I upgraded from the 7700k to the 5800X3D. Even then it was good for about a month into the CPU upgrade and then it’s been off and on crashing. I just have no idea why I’m randomly crashing and it’s very frustrating how random it is. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. 

43 minutes ago, RG_Tech said:

CPU - Ryzen 5800X3D

So, the issue is off and on with no really answer or fix that I can figure out. There is no overclock due to the issues I’m having although I did have the GPU overlocked when I first got it with no issues at first, until my first crash and then I removed all overclock settings. My computer will randomly crash while playing games with no rhyme or reason and in reboot will display a VGA issue on the mobo. Sometimes it’s back to back within minutes and other times it could be a few weeks in between crashes. Most of the time all I have to do is resintall the GPU and it goes away for a little bit and other times, it will reboot on its own just fine. Other times, I just leave it off for a little while and boot up and it’s fine. I don’t think it’s a temp issue as before while gaming I’ve had some monitoring software open and it showed that my GPU temps never exceeded 75C. I never had this issue before with my 1070 or 1080 on the AM4 platform or any GPU with my older Intel i7-7700K on the Asus Tuff Z270 Mark 2. I have 2 separate VGA 8pin cables going to the GPU. I haven’t tried just one as I don’t have a cable that breaks off. 

My mobo bios is fully up to date, everything is seated properly, all drivers and firmware with the GPU are up to date and good to go. It’s just so random that it’s been impossible to figure out why it’s happening. 

I’m really at a loss here and before I break and just by a new GPU I’m reaching out for help to see if anything can resolve this. My 1080ti is fine for my needs at 1080p. It’s also not possible for me to try the 1070 or 1080 anymore as I sold them because the 1080ti that I got worked perfectly for about 4 months until I upgraded from the 7700k to the 5800X3D. Even then it was good for about a month into the CPU upgrade and then it’s been off and on crashing. I just have no idea why I’m randomly crashing and it’s very frustrating how random it is. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. 

If I'm correct in what ive read, you've switched from Intel to amd? If thats the case. A full wipe of your OS will probably help. In general make sure your bios is up-to-date and make sure you download the most up-to-date chipset drivers for your cpu. If this doesnt work - humour me here, get something "long and stick like" to prop the gpu up slightly. To ensure theres no sag which can cause crashes for what seems completely random. Try it. Prop the gpu up, remove all sag no matter how little there is, even if what I'm suggesting seems dumb, try it. When it does work, try lightly tapping the gpu, if the slightest tap crashes the pc I'd point towards loose connection due to sag. I diagnosed an apparently faulty 2070ti. Turns out it sagged to much causing a loose connection. If that doesn't work, well... "Shrug"

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550 <--latest chipset drivers for your mobo

Edited by Madmaximus01

Need to jank something? Cardboard, velcro, painters' tape & gorilla double sided 3M tape are your best friends. Ask me how i know. 

CPU: 5800X3D Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming Wifi ii RAM: 2x 16gig G.Skill 3600mhz CL14 GPU: ASUS TUF OC V2 3080 Case: LianLi Mesh 2, 6x Noctua NF-F12 PPC PWM 120mm 3000rpm fans, 2x Noctua A12x25 PWM 120mm 2000rpm fans, 2x Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM 40mm 5000rpm fans Storage: Samsung M.2 NVME 970 EVO Plus 500gig (OS), Samsung M.2 NVME 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Silverstone Strider Platinum 850w 80plus platinum Display(s) (Main Display) Samsung Odyssey G50A, MSI Optix G27C2 Cooling: Noctua NH-U12A Keyboard: Logitech g915 TKL Mouse: Logitech g502 HERO Sound: Sennheiser GSP 670 Operating System: Windows 10

31 minutes ago, Madmaximus01 said:

If I'm correct in what ive read, you've switched from Intel to amd? If thats the case. A full wipe of your OS will probably help. In general make sure your bios is up-to-date and make sure you download the most up-to-date chipset drivers for your cpu. If this doesnt work - humour me here, get something "long and stick like" to prop the gpu up slightly. To ensure theres no sag which can cause crashes for what seems completely random. Try it. Prop the gpu up, remove all sag no matter how little there is, even if what I'm suggesting seems dumb, try it. When it does work, try lightly tapping the gpu, if the slightest tap crashes the pc I'd point towards loose connection due to sag. I diagnosed an apparently faulty 2070ti. Turns out it sagged to much causing a loose connection. If that doesn't work, well... "Shrug"

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550 <--latest chipset drivers for your mobo

Funny you mention those things. When I changed over to AMD and the new mobo I also got a new m.2 boot drive and did a fresh windows install. I had the same thought with the GPU sag and I bought a cheap screw up type support thing that works great. I got it 1.5 months ago and didn’t have any issues until today with another crash. I will try the little tap on the GPU tho, I could have damaged the PCIe slot  for the months that I didn’t have the support there. As far as I could tell the support was still doing its job. The GPU was level and still supported properly. I will double check on my chipset drivers though. As far as I can tell I have the latest mobo drivers from the Asus website. Thanks for the info!  

1 hour ago, RG_Tech said:

Funny you mention those things. When I changed over to AMD and the new mobo I also got a new m.2 boot drive and did a fresh windows install. I had the same thought with the GPU sag and I bought a cheap screw up type support thing that works great. I got it 1.5 months ago and didn’t have any issues until today with another crash. I will try the little tap on the GPU tho, I could have damaged the PCIe slot  for the months that I didn’t have the support there. As far as I could tell the support was still doing its job. The GPU was level and still supported properly. I will double check on my chipset drivers though. As far as I can tell I have the latest mobo drivers from the Asus website. Thanks for the info!  

Another thing u could try is remove the gpu support entirely. Let the gpu hang so to speak. If it boots, wiggle the gpu slightly up and down. If pc crashes, I think its safe to say u got your answer. If you end up thinking it is most likely a loose connection. Play with the gpu support stick thing, might need the ever so slightest of adjustments to be just that little bit more snug. Either that or it's on its way out. This is what I'm currently using to prop up my 3080. A screwgun drill bit lol, super lucky I had it tbh. It's the tiniest bit to long, by like a mm or so. Which causes the gpu to be super snug & super tight. With No wiggleroom at all. The cardboard wind chute is its own story lmao.

20231211_232451.jpg

Edited by Madmaximus01

Need to jank something? Cardboard, velcro, painters' tape & gorilla double sided 3M tape are your best friends. Ask me how i know. 

CPU: 5800X3D Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX x570-E Gaming Wifi ii RAM: 2x 16gig G.Skill 3600mhz CL14 GPU: ASUS TUF OC V2 3080 Case: LianLi Mesh 2, 6x Noctua NF-F12 PPC PWM 120mm 3000rpm fans, 2x Noctua A12x25 PWM 120mm 2000rpm fans, 2x Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM 40mm 5000rpm fans Storage: Samsung M.2 NVME 970 EVO Plus 500gig (OS), Samsung M.2 NVME 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Silverstone Strider Platinum 850w 80plus platinum Display(s) (Main Display) Samsung Odyssey G50A, MSI Optix G27C2 Cooling: Noctua NH-U12A Keyboard: Logitech g915 TKL Mouse: Logitech g502 HERO Sound: Sennheiser GSP 670 Operating System: Windows 10

On 12/20/2023 at 1:44 PM, RG_Tech said:

CPU - Ryzen 5800X3D

Any good news?

2 hours ago, Madmaximus01 said:

Any good news?

I tried wiggling the gpu with no support and nothing happened. It’s been fine since but it’s just a matter of time before it crashes again. If it helps, when it crashes all the fans go into max rpm in the entire system. Forgot about that detail. But as far as I’m aware it’s not a temp issue causing the crashing as mentioned before that I’ve never seen temps over 75C. It has me wondering if the base boosted clock of the card is high and if power limiting it could maybe help? 

13 hours ago, RG_Tech said:

I tried wiggling the gpu with no support and nothing happened. It’s been fine since but it’s just a matter of time before it crashes again. If it helps, when it crashes all the fans go into max rpm in the entire system. Forgot about that detail. But as far as I’m aware it’s not a temp issue causing the crashing as mentioned before that I’ve never seen temps over 75C. It has me wondering if the base boosted clock of the card is high and if power limiting it could maybe help? 

Hard crashing with fans ramping up to full speed is potentially indicative of something not being happy with power. It could be a loose connection or cable, try wiggling the big power cable on the motherboard same with cpu cable. The motherboard powercable connection should be absolutely rock solid. Try wiggling the powercable(s) connected to the gpu. Check if the cables going into your psu are still fully inserted & not loose (please make sure your pc is turned off, power cable disconnected from psu aswell as having pressed the power button multiple times to discharge all remaining power, before u go anywhere near the psu). If u have any hdd or ssd's check the sata power connectors to those are solid. Hell check if the actual power cable for the psu is fully plugged In to the psu & the wall, that has happened to me before - moving desk around or moving my pc slightly, psu powercable could ever so slightly wiggle out of place etc. Done a quick google & apparently your psu only has a 3 year warranty? so there's that to consider. Download furmark & do a test run on the gpu. If it crashes during the test, that is potentially leaning towards a power issue of some kind with the gpu. If you have a friend or a family member with a pc, ask them if they'd be willing to put your gpu In their system to see if they can replicate the crash in furmark. If the same thing happens, well. You got your answer. If another pc is able to run a furmark test with your gpu with no issue I'd say your gpu is ok. 

To eliminate any potential wierdness or issues with Windows, search for cmd.exe, Right click it, run it as administrator. Run these commands.

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /R /F /X

Edit: I've attached a short vid of the 2000 series card issue I mentioned earlier.

Edit: Have you checked in your bios wether u have csm (compatibility mode) enabled or disabled? Check if resizable bar is enabled/disabled In your bios, some gpu's can have wierd crashing issues with csm on/off aswell as wierd crashing issues if resizable bar is turned on in bios but doesn't have the firmware to support it. If you have resizable bar enabled, when booted open up the Nvidia settings & check if it says resizable bar - yes. If it says no, even with it enabled in bios you may need to run this tool I've linked below. A big indicator of potential csm on/off wierdness issue is when it crashes and attempts to reboot you get a black screen will say "the vga card is not supported by the uefi driver".

Edit: if you haven't cleared cmos already you should do that aswell.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165/~/nvidia-resizable-bar-firmware-update-tool

On 12/19/2023 at 10:14 PM, RG_Tech said:

CPU - Ryzen 5800X3D

Run the PowerShell Script at step #4 of this guide.

Edit your original post and add the output per these directions (to make it readable and not clutter everything):

1. Insert a Spoiler Box
  2. Then click inside the Spoiler Box and insert a Code Block
  3. Copy and paste the text from LTTForumsComputerInfo.txt from your Downloads folder into the Code Block
  4. Select Python for the Language
  5. Click "Insert into Post"

ℹ️ Unrelated, (i.e. won't fix your issue) but your GTX 1080 Ti also likely has a firmware update to support the newer Display Port protocol

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

On 12/21/2023 at 11:47 PM, Madmaximus01 said:

Hard crashing with fans ramping up to full speed is potentially indicative of something not being happy with power. It could be a loose connection or cable, try wiggling the big power cable on the motherboard same with cpu cable. The motherboard powercable connection should be absolutely rock solid. Try wiggling the powercable(s) connected to the gpu. Check if the cables going into your psu are still fully inserted & not loose (please make sure your pc is turned off, power cable disconnected from psu aswell as having pressed the power button multiple times to discharge all remaining power, before u go anywhere near the psu). If u have any hdd or ssd's check the sata power connectors to those are solid. Hell check if the actual power cable for the psu is fully plugged In to the psu & the wall, that has happened to me before - moving desk around or moving my pc slightly, psu powercable could ever so slightly wiggle out of place etc. Done a quick google & apparently your psu only has a 3 year warranty? so there's that to consider. Download furmark & do a test run on the gpu. If it crashes during the test, that is potentially leaning towards a power issue of some kind with the gpu. If you have a friend or a family member with a pc, ask them if they'd be willing to put your gpu In their system to see if they can replicate the crash in furmark. If the same thing happens, well. You got your answer. If another pc is able to run a furmark test with your gpu with no issue I'd say your gpu is ok. 

To eliminate any potential wierdness or issues with Windows, search for cmd.exe, Right click it, run it as administrator. Run these commands.

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /R /F /X

Edit: I've attached a short vid of the 2000 series card issue I mentioned earlier.

Edit: Have you checked in your bios wether u have csm (compatibility mode) enabled or disabled? Check if resizable bar is enabled/disabled In your bios, some gpu's can have wierd crashing issues with csm on/off aswell as wierd crashing issues if resizable bar is turned on in bios but doesn't have the firmware to support it. If you have resizable bar enabled, when booted open up the Nvidia settings & check if it says resizable bar - yes. If it says no, even with it enabled in bios you may need to run this tool I've linked below. A big indicator of potential csm on/off wierdness issue is when it crashes and attempts to reboot you get a black screen will say "the vga card is not supported by the uefi driver".

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5165/~/nvidia-resizable-bar-firmware-update-tool

I will take a look at all this after Christmas and get back to you, much appreciated! 

On 12/22/2023 at 2:47 AM, problemsolver said:

Run the PowerShell Script at step #4 of this guide.

Edit your original post and add the output per these directions (to make it readable and not clutter everything):

1. Insert a Spoiler Box
  2. Then click inside the Spoiler Box and insert a Code Block
  3. Copy and paste the text from LTTForumsComputerInfo.txt from your Downloads folder into the Code Block
  4. Select Python for the Language
  5. Click "Insert into Post"

ℹ️ Unrelated, (i.e. won't fix your issue) but your GTX 1080 Ti also likely has a firmware update to support the newer Display Port protocol

I will take a look at this after Christmas, thanks for the reply! And yes I actually had to update my 1080ti firmware just after I got it because I was having some display out issues, thank god I kept my old hardware around so I could do it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 11:47 PM, Madmaximus01 said:

sfc /scannow

chkdsk /R /F /X

Hey, so I checked all my connections. They are all good. I ran the commands and there was a few issues that got fixed. I have disabled resizable BAR as the 1080ti is not compatible with it and I left CSM enabled. I also found that there was a update for the chipset that I did not do and since then the random black screen crashing hasn't happened. However... now I am getting a DirectX crash every 45mins to 2 hours into gaming (DirectX error 0x887A0005). I did take a screenshot of the entire pop up but for whatever reason it didn't save. I have done some looking into this crash error since then and it seems like there isn't anything I can really do about it other than a new GPU... which sucks. Most of the recommendations are things I have already done and tried to fix the previous crashing issue. 

4 hours ago, RG_Tech said:

Hey, so I checked all my connections. They are all good. I ran the commands and there was a few issues that got fixed. I have disabled resizable BAR as the 1080ti is not compatible with it and I left CSM enabled. I also found that there was a update for the chipset that I did not do and since then the random black screen crashing hasn't happened. However... now I am getting a DirectX crash every 45mins to 2 hours into gaming (DirectX error 0x887A0005). I did take a screenshot of the entire pop up but for whatever reason it didn't save. I have done some looking into this crash error since then and it seems like there isn't anything I can really do about it other than a new GPU... which sucks. Most of the recommendations are things I have already done and tried to fix the previous crashing issue. 

Did u update the firmware of the gpu? Also, tried a complete wipe and reset of windows? Try a different monitor? Failing that, yeah maybe the 1080 series is starting to lag behind on modern tech of today 😬

These were my first google results of this error

Screenshot_20240108_161429_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240108_161441_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240108_161448_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240108_161458_Chrome.jpg

8 hours ago, Madmaximus01 said:

These were my first google results of this error

I have done and tried all of that expect for the DDU. Seems like most of the things I have been trying are just temporary fixes. Maybe I get a full day without a crash. As far as firmware for the GPU its fully updated. I just double checked to make sure. I'm going to take the GPU out of my wife's computer for today and see what happens.