Inconsistent boot loop/failure behaviour on Gigabyte motherboard (Z690 AERO D)

PutUsernameHere

For the past few months I've been running into an issue where after restarting my PC, it will get stuck in a boot loop that eventually kicks me out to the gigabyte error screen that says "Boot Failure Detected." It offers me an option to reset to optimized default settings, and whether or not I choose to do that or keep the current settings, it doesn't really seem to change anything. The strange thing is that this doesn't always happen. Sometimes, the computer will boot normally, and other times it will be stuck in a loop until I fully shut it down and turn it back on. I thought it might be some issue with me using the XMP profile, so I tried turning down the memory clock and it didn't change anything.

I've tried to debug it with the POST codes, but info on Gigabyte POST codes is hard to find, and while I've gotten a memory error code (54 and 52), the codes seem to change with each boot. I use the PC for rendering and FX simulations, and once it has booted it's completely stable and will do a week-long render at full utilization with no issue, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. I've been unsure how to proceed because I can't even tell for certain what's causing the issue, so I'd definitely appreciate any help.

Specs:

Mobo: Z690 AERO D (BIOS Version F22)

CPU: 13900K

RAM: Corsair Vengance 2x32 DDR5 5200MT/s CL40

GPU: RTX 4090

PSU: Corsair HX1500i

24 minutes ago, PutUsernameHere said:

For the past few months I've been running into an issue where after restarting my PC, it will get stuck in a boot loop that eventually kicks me out to the gigabyte error screen that says "Boot Failure Detected." It offers me an option to reset to optimized default settings, and whether or not I choose to do that or keep the current settings, it doesn't really seem to change anything. The strange thing is that this doesn't always happen. Sometimes, the computer will boot normally, and other times it will be stuck in a loop until I fully shut it down and turn it back on. I thought it might be some issue with me using the XMP profile, so I tried turning down the memory clock and it didn't change anything.

I've tried to debug it with the POST codes, but info on Gigabyte POST codes is hard to find, and while I've gotten a memory error code (54 and 52), the codes seem to change with each boot. I use the PC for rendering and FX simulations, and once it has booted it's completely stable and will do a week-long render at full utilization with no issue, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. I've been unsure how to proceed because I can't even tell for certain what's causing the issue, so I'd definitely appreciate any help.

Specs:

Mobo: Z690 AERO D (BIOS Version F22)

CPU: 13900K

RAM: Corsair Vengance 2x32 DDR5 5200MT/s CL40

GPU: RTX 4090

PSU: Corsair HX1500i

I'm so sorry to hear that your having the boot loop issue, I highly recommend giving this a go:

1. Boot windows into recovery mode. This happens when the os fails to boot. Press the power button when powering on the computer and make sure it turns off on the boot screen. The next time you power on it should take you there.

2. Navigate to where it says start up repair. Click on it.

3. Follow all instructions it says, and it should repair any start up files that may be corrupt causing the issue.

I hope this helps!

A tech tip I've actually heard from Linus and can vouch for "if there's ghosts in the system, if nothing makes sense, it's the power supply" so I'd look there (although on paper you do have a decent unit). It might just as well be a lose power cable. Generally speaking in cases of inconsistent behavior, I tend to look towards hardware.

I agree with Verrierr it could be the power supply. Also try turning off XMP all together and make sure your dual channel config is correct if you're using two DIMMs it's usually the 2nd and 4th ports. I have Corsair Vengeance as well and that caused a problem for me. 

Update your BIOS if you haven't already.

what disk are you using for boot disk?..  if it's a samsung 980 pro i would install samsung magician and check for fw updates..