3 ram sticks

shod1213

Hi

does it hurt perfomance to have 3 ram sticks instead of 2 ? (dual channel ect)

and same question for 2 sticks of 8 gb and one of 16?

thanks

Unless it's a triple channel board(not likely), you lose a bit of bandwidth by having 3 instead of 2 or 4.

The loss likely won't be noticeable at all, but it will be there.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Motherboards have for a long time been able to operate in hybrid mode. If you are using, for example, only 8GB out of 16GB, your system will prioritize the dual channel ram and operate with dual channel. But if you use more than your dual channel ram capacity, your system switches to single channel.

Like @Crunchy Dragonsaid, it would result in a small performance deficit. 2x or 4x is preferable.

Also an added benefit is going from single rank to dual rank with 4 sticks of ram, most any cheap DDR4 is single rank and adding 4x single rank dimms will give you a dual rank configuration, which can provide a small performance benenefit. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad