Does anyone konow where to find easy step-by-step ZFS backup guide?

BarbarYan

ZFS is a file system, it doesn't automatically back up to external media.

You have to do that manually, or set up a separate backup solution. (It could be as simple as a cron job that dumps a directory to the flash drive at a specific time, or as complicated as a full Bacula install.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Isn't there snapshot feature?

I already have regular backup of nas content with rsync, but i want to add automatic regular snapshooting to external drive

12 hours ago, BarbarYan said:

I already have regular backup of nas content with rsync, but i want to add automatic regular snapshooting to external drive

The process or setting up snapshots will differ depending on what OS you're running and what admin frontend it gives you.

What OS are you running?

Here's Oracle's documentation for doing it in the command line, which should work for just about anything.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbcya/index.html

Edited by Needfuldoer
tpyo

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 hours ago, BarbarYan said:

Snapshot of zfs don't work as a backup. 

That doesn't keep copies of files that could be individually read or restored with another system. 

Snapshots just keep a record of the binary changes in the files between them. And when you apply the snapshot back it will put you back at a certain point in time. 

If you want the data on an external drive that can be read directly, rsync or similar task is what you want to be doing. 

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

The process or setting up snapshots will differ depending on hat OS you're running and what admin frontend it gives you.

What OS are you running?

Here's Oracle's documentation for doing it in the command line, which should work for just about anything.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gbcya/index.html

Debian 12