Creating a new partition/installing Windows issues

linuxminted

Hi guys,
For a while now, I’ve been getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR crashes when playing graphic intensive games (Cyberpunk 2077, Ready or Not) randomly after 1-5 minutes.
These issues did not present themselves on much less demanding games.

Specs

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero WiFi – BIOS 2801 (latest)

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-10900K 10/20 3.70GHz [Turbo 5.2GHz]

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3090 OC 24G GDDR6X Video Card

RAM: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

Drive 1 (boot): 512GB SAMSUNG 970 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Drive 2: 4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD (Single Drive)

PSU: 1200 Watts - Enermax EPF1200EWT Platimax D.F. Series 80 PLUS Platinum certified

So far, I have:
-Performed a full hard drive reset following the errors occurring much more frequently suddenly, to the point where I couldn’t even boot past the login screen

-Reformatted both of my hard drives and reloaded Windows 10 Home from a USB

-Updated GPU drivers, mobo chipset, CPU drivers, updated Windows, including everything else I could from ASUS’s Armoury Crate software

-Updated BIOS to 2801 (latest), cleared CMOS

-Reset mobo BIOS settings to default

-Ran Benchmarks on my GPU and CPU which presented no issues

-Ran tests on my RAM, SSD, and HD which presented no issues

-Checked for overheating when running the games or benchmarks, temps remained low with my CPU never reaching over 50C

-Ran MediCat USB diagnostic tools which did not present any issues on any of the hardware or software issues

I still could not run high resource demanding games after all of this. I even contacted tech support on my PC’s manufacturer, which they suggested reseating the CPU or handing it off to a local repair shop.

I am trying hard to fix this as a software issue at the moment due to the build being custom water cooled, which makes it quite a bit more time consuming to attempt to fix as a hardware issue.

This build is old enough (3 years) that the warranty expired and I cannot RMA any parts, I am trying to avoid spending money on functioning parts at the moment.
To add to this: I do not have a replacement CPU/GPU/Motherboard to test any of the components, which makes it harder to diagnose.

These issues have not been preceded by me doing anything, no driver update or hardware changes.

I am not aware of what possibly caused this. I have also uninstalled Malwarebytes to see if that had any effect, which it did not.

I apologize how lengthy and complicated this is, any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Update: I have not been able to obtain any dump or log files at the moment. Right upon posting this, my PC crashed once again, with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR appearing frequently upon getting out of the login screen. I suspect this started to happen once I tried to turn up my monitor’s refresh rate from 60Hz to 100Hz. I am currently unable to boot anymore, and have received Error codes 0xc0000185 and 0xc0000000f. I am in the process of reformatting my drives again after running a few tests.

We need to see the arguments of the BSOD crash (Think of them as sub-errors). If it already hangs on the BSOD screen (As you can't get dump files) then this step is not necessary, but if it reboots normally after a few seconds then go to this guide and on this screen remove the check for automatically restart. To restart manually, just use the power button.

To make the BSOD screen display the additional info on the BSOD screen we need to add a field to the registry. If you are not comfortable editing the registry then do not do this step. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl, right click on the empty area on the right section and select New → DWORD value with the name "DisplayParameters". Right click on it, modify and set the value data to 1 (Does not matter if you use Hexadecimal or Decimal). It should look like this once done. Reboot to apply the registry change.

The next time you BSOD, you should have these extra numbers in the top left corner. I want a picture of this.

Note that this is only applicable to WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error BSODs. 

WHEA + No dump files is usually storage (NVMe), but there are other things that can cause issues with creating dump files. 

26 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

We need to see the arguments of the BSOD crash (Think of them as sub-errors). If it already hangs on the BSOD screen (As you can't get dump files) then this step is not necessary, but if it reboots normally after a few seconds then go to this guide and on this screen remove the check for automatically restart. To restart manually, just use the power button.

To make the BSOD screen display the additional info on the BSOD screen we need to add a field to the registry. If you are not comfortable editing the registry then do not do this step. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl, right click on the empty area on the right section and select New → DWORD value with the name "DisplayParameters". Right click on it, modify and set the value data to 1 (Does not matter if you use Hexadecimal or Decimal). It should look like this once done. Reboot to apply the registry change.

The next time you BSOD, you should have these extra numbers in the top left corner. I want a picture of this.

Note that this is only applicable to WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error BSODs. 

WHEA + No dump files is usually storage (NVMe), but there are other things that can cause issues with creating dump files. 

Alright, I can edit the registry and get those sub-errors for you. Give me a few minutes, I'm almost done running a test of my SSD's integrity. 
I'm going to have to reformat my drives again before I edit the registry, shouldn't be more than 30 mins. I cannot make it past the  0xc0000185 and 0xc0000000f errors at the moment.

By the way; it should be noted I have extreme trouble getting a photo or a picture of what the error code is. I have roughly half a second to see the error code on the BSOD before my PC just resets. Not sure if that is relevant. 

Also: I considered the SSD was failing previously, but I am very unsure if this is the case at the moment due to multiple tests of the SSD coming back negative for any problems.
I also ran my secondary HD as a main drive for a while, thinking that this would allow for me to run the PC while I waited for a replacement SSD, however, the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR issue came up again and started causing issues.

Alright, in a turn of events, I cannot even access the SSD anymore when I try to install Windows 10 on it, it also throws a "We couldn't format the selected partition: [Error: 0x80070057]. when attempting to format it.  

I'm installing Windows 10 onto my HD, again, without issue. I will be attempting to make that WHEA error occur once I redownload a game that certainly crashes it. 

I am confused how these errors are occurring at this point, the only thing I can fathom is the motherboard or PSU is in need of a replacement. The last time I ran the HD as the main drive when this exact issue occurred, the WHEA error occurred anyways. Any wild guesses are welcome. 

43 minutes ago, linuxminted said:

Alright, I can edit the registry and get those sub-errors for you. Give me a few minutes, I'm almost done running a test of my SSD's integrity. 
I'm going to have to reformat my drives again before I edit the registry, shouldn't be more than 30 mins. I cannot make it past the  0xc0000185 and 0xc0000000f errors at the moment.

By the way; it should be noted I have extreme trouble getting a photo or a picture of what the error code is. I have roughly half a second to see the error code on the BSOD before my PC just resets. Not sure if that is relevant. 

Also: I considered the SSD was failing previously, but I am very unsure if this is the case at the moment due to multiple tests of the SSD coming back negative for any problems.
I also ran my secondary HD as a main drive for a while, thinking that this would allow for me to run the PC while I waited for a replacement SSD, however, the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR issue came up again and started causing issues.

It really sounds like storage. 

1 minute ago, linuxminted said:

I am confused how these errors are occurring at this point, the only thing I can fathom is the motherboard or PSU is in need of a replacement. The last time I ran the HD as the main drive when this exact issue occurred, the WHEA error occurred anyways. Any wild guesses are welcome. 

Did you remove the SSD when testing the HDD or was it still connected? 

1 minute ago, Bjoolz said:

It really sounds like storage. 

I am inclined to agree with you, it would also make for one of the easier hardware replacements. 
However; if it was the SSD only causing issues, wouldn't the WHEA errors have stopped the first time around I stopping using it for a while as a boot drive? Also, wouldn't the multiple programs that checked it have detected any issues or corruptions? 

2 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

Did you remove the SSD when testing the HDD or was it still connected? 

Both stayed connected at all times, I did not remove one or the other when testing them. 

27 minutes ago, linuxminted said:

However; if it was the SSD only causing issues, wouldn't the WHEA errors have stopped the first time around I stopping using it for a while as a boot drive?

Not if it was still connected.

27 minutes ago, linuxminted said:

Also, wouldn't the multiple programs that checked it have detected any issues or corruptions? 

SSDs have a lot more electronics in them than HDDs. More things that can fail than just what the data is on. 

I would remove the SSD completely. 

Sorry for the delay, 

I replaced the SSD with a Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe, and removed the original SSD from the system. 

Now upon starting the system, I receive "error code 0xc0000185". I cannot get past this screen. 

The system sometimes tries to repair itself, but this never goes further than the screen saying it is for seemingly forever. 

There are no sub-error codes on the top-left of the screen even though I have edited the registry prior to changing the SSD. 

The BIOS shows that the new SSD is connected and recognizes it. I was no longer able to replicate the WHEA error earlier while only using the HD. 

Also; not sure if this is important, I've replaced the SSD in the same place the original was, Socket 3. 

In order to try to fix this, I have been trying to boot on a USB with Windows 10, but after the BIOS, I am stuck on an infinite loading screen with ASUS's logo and a spinning wheel. I attempted to clear CMOS, but this has also done nothing. Might try some Medicat tools again, see if that does anything. 
I am effectively out of ideas for the time being, any help is appreciated again, thanks. 

85744.jpg

After several different attempts to fix these issues, I still haven't been able to boot past BIOS. 
Errors seem to change a lot now, sometimes I can reach Windows setup with a USB w/ Windows 10, but I can't delete/format some drives (Error 0x8007045d) or install Windows on any of them (Error 0x80300024).

Recently I also received a "GPT header corruption" error screen which I hadn't seen before. Attached. 

63D196DB-0D0C-4810-B33C-1102E82DCABE.jpeg

Changed the title of the thread since this has somewhat become a new issue.

I cannot create a new partition at all with either my HD or new SSD.

Both show up in the ASUS BIOS and can be selected in boot order when CSM is on. 

However I cannot create a new partition of either the HD or SSD. The SSD also states that it is not initialized and is listed as MBR. 

I have actually gotten far enough into the installation process that Windows has nearly installed, but it decided to throw another error. 

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Does this seem like a motherboard error? I ran another test on the integrity of my SSD/HD and RAM and found nothing. 

I also have been following along with this guide from the forums and ran into this error about a Virtual Disk Service error. 

Once again, any help is really appreciated, I am running out of ideas here

6E0836CA-29D4-4055-BF47-546720B76D72.jpeg