Old Laptop High CPU usage (Toshiba Satellite L755)

BONTO5160

So some context, the laptop is an old Toshiba Satellite L755, its my father's and he only uses it for watching movies but it was really slow and gave error messages for anything, it had windows 7 so I decided to take it home and try to do something with it, I formatted the drives and put Linux Mint on it, even the installation process was slow as hell, it installed but it was a pain in the ass to even navigate, so I put Chrome OS Flex on it, which doesn't helped it was still slow, now it has a Windows 10 (cuz not the OS the problem here and atleast I know something about windows 10 so I knew where can I search for the problem) surprise it's slow aswell but not slower then the other OS's so I opened the task manager and everything seems to be fine BUT the CPU utilization is always on 100% the hdd seems fine at 20%, etc. So the problem is with the CPU utilization, what can cause it? tried virus scan, it didn't show anything, the Task Manager shows normal processes but they use a lot of CPU for some reason 20231215_190111.thumb.jpg.e7d6f96e7d6ba144879099765215774d.jpg20231215_190350.thumb.jpg.1c2a9f6689123af7cbeacce92a16e424.jpg

When I try to watch something on YouTube it's hard for the laptop to even load the site, and a 144p video is laggy, unwatchable.20231215_185705.thumb.jpg.80f61593be391caa761a1779439a19af.jpg

Probably due for a cleaning, might be overheating and thermal throttling.

However what you have there is what we in the industry call "shit." It was bad when it rolled off the factory line in 2010.

That CPU is a 2-core, 2-thread CPU. I'm amazed it even runs Windows 10 at all. It has a PassMark score of 423. I don't ascribe to the idea that PassMark is the be-all end-all benchmark, but for comparison a modern Ryzen 3 7320U laptop processor scores around 9,000. You're literally talking about something 20x slower than even a low-end $300 laptop.

Put an SSD in and 16GB of RAM (should both be dirt cheap on eBay or local resale sites) to even have a hope of that computer being usable for anything more than watching a movie.

1 minute ago, itsabearcannon said:

That CPU is a 2-core, 2-thread CPU. I'm amazed it even runs Windows 10 at all. It has a PassMark score of 423. I don't ascribe to the idea that PassMark is the be-all end-all benchmark, but for comparison a modern Ryzen 3 7320U laptop processor scores around 9,000. You're literally talking about something 20x slower than even a low-end $300 laptop.

Put an SSD in and 16GB of RAM (should both be dirt cheap on eBay or local resale sites) to even have a hope of that computer being usable for anything more than watching a movie

Yea I know, but like windows 7 atleast ran on it, I mean you could watch movies on it, it just had a lot of errors, and couldn't download anything, but for it to not run linux mint or chrome os flex, it's just mind blowing, it was hard to open the file explorer on it, but then how did windows 7 ran on it before?(3 days ago)

2 hours ago, BONTO5160 said:

but then how did windows 7 ran on it before?(3 days ago)

Windows 7 is an OS from 2009 - it's 14 years old. Computers are not designed to last indefinitely, and that processor was an egregiously bad-performing unit even at the time of its release when it was brand new. Putting a much newer OS on it, predictably, is going to make it nigh-unusable.

For another comparison, a "flagship" laptop processor like the the i7-2920XM from the same year as that AMD E-350 scored about 4,300. The E-350 was dead dog slow when it was brand new, and it's only aged poorly since then.