[The Verge] GoPro just went public with a $100 million IPO

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/19/5719024/gopro-goes-public-big-hopes-on-small-cameras

In a filing today, the company said it plans to raise $100 million from its initial public offering, and will list on the NASDAQ exchange under the ticker symbol GPRO. That number sets a baseline, and may increase substantially depending on investor interest GoPro encounters during its roadshow leading up to the IPO.

Along with the IPO figure, the company disclosed its financials, saying that it earned close to $60.6 million in profit off revenues close to $1 billion last year. Some of those figures were known, short of what the company made last year in the lead up to its plans to go public.

GoPro also detailed a dual class plan for its common stock, giving voting control to Woodman and other executives. That means the group that founded and directed the company early on will hold the reins as it evolves, something that's been a key factor in the long term growth and evolution at companies like Google and Facebook.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. GoPro is pretty popular already, and going public will just make them even more popular, grow their brand, and bring in more revenue, albeit, at the cost of others owning stock/owning part of the company. It's aaaaalmost a good enough trade off for them, but I don't know much about GoPro or stocks and whatnot to know what's best for them.

Thoughts on GoPro going public?

COMIC SANS

Eh, all company's that grow to a point do it.

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

Just wish I could afford one for myself....would make for a great dashcam!

I like it when companies stay private. I find they do better in the long run as their original vision isn't ruined. It's why Valve has stayed private. If Valve was public it would be terrible, you would have businessman trying to make as much money out of us as possible, more so then what Valve already can, with adverts for washing machines in the Steam client and crap like that. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Lately I've noticed a trend with companies when they go public. It seems like they do so once their innovation has stopped and they've stagnated. It happened with Facebook and now it's happening with GoPro. As I previously mentioned, this is a trend that I've noticed lately and it shouldn't necessarily be "a rule of thumb"

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I like it when companies stay private. I find they do better in the long run as their original vision isn't ruined. It's why Valve has stayed private. If Valve was public it would be terrible, you would have businessman trying to make as much money out of us as possible, more so then what Valve already can, with adverts for washing machines in the Steam client and crap like that. 

I totally agree with you.  Companies that go public only care about their bottom line and their image.  Look at Dell and Blackberry, doing better as a private company than as a public.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I totally agree with you.  Companies that go public only care about their bottom line and their image.  Look at Dell and Blackberry, doing better as a private company than as a public.

Well it's not really the company itself it's the people who own the stock. People buy stock not because they are interested in the companies business but rather if the company will be able to grow in the future and make more money so they can sell their stock afterwards. Generally stockholders buy their stock and then a few months down the road sell it off sometimes it's after hours or even minutes just to make a bit more money. The problem is that the stockholders that plan on selling their stock after a few months as they a crap load and therefore have more say in what the company does. They don't care what happens after they sell their stock so they try and force the company to do shitty things like what most public companies do eg. screw over the consumer (that is vague but there are too many ways companies do this). 

The only problem is that when GabeN steps down as the head of Valve he would have to give entire control over to someone who has the same vision as him. It would be interesting to see if gabeN made a contract preventing the sale and the making of valve go public. That way the company would stay true to it's creators vision hopefully.

Alternatively GabeN could upload his conscious to a Glados like Super computer and control Valve that way. I would prefer that.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard