BSOD/crashing booting anything

Prstorero
Go to solution Solved by code_,
23 minutes ago, Prstorero said:

I have tried booting Windows installation media from a flash drive, it results in an immediate BSOD as well. The drive that had the OS install wasn't a factor as it was removed from the board. I can get into the BIOS and memtest has been running fine. I had also tried a USB containing linux to have something to try that wasn't Windows-based and that crashes during the boot process as well.

Maybe a CPU swap may be worth it. Give a CPU swap a try hopefully that works on the BSOD - does it show a error code?

Hey everyone. After a lot of testing and trying to rule things out, I'm pretty stumped at the moment and hoping you guys have some ideas for what else I could potentially try.

• OS - Windows 11 (note crashing also happens booting flash drives of a windows installation media and Macrium)
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 - 64 bit
  • What OS was originally installed on the system - Nothing, Windows 11 installed fresh
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer) - Purchased by me
  • Age of system (hardware) - All components are new except the RAM, which was purchased January 10th 2019
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS - Brand new install
  • CPU model - Ryzen 5600G
  • Video Card model - Integrated graphics
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) - Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this) - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM 650 W 80+ Gold
  • System Manufacturer - Myself
  • Exact model number (if OEM or laptop) - N/A
  • Laptop or Desktop - Desktop

The problem:

I get either an immediate BSOD or shortly after attempting to boot some media. I've tried booting a new SSD with a fresh copy of Windows 11, a flash drive containing Windows 11 installation media, and a flash drive containing Macrium Reflect. All of these experience the same issue. I have gotten numerous BSOD's, each of which will be listed below.

The first occurrence:

I installed some Windows updates and rebooted after installation, then was never able to boot again. But I feel that this is coincidental given the crashes when booting from flash drives

BSOD's that happened:

• CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (only saw this one the couple times when Macrium managed to boot to crash later randomly or when attempting to shut down)
  • ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

What I have tried:

• Remove all hardware except what's necessary including the SSD to just boot flash drives (including SSD being removed to rule out faulty Windows driver)
  • A different PSU from my old system that has been running perfectly for 5 years
  • New motherboard
  • Different set of RAM
    • I tried a set from my old system, same issues occurred
      • I started to wonder if the sticks I had from both systems weren't on the QVL for the board, but it turns out that one set is
    • I did one run of memtest86 on the QVL RAM for 9 hours overnight and had 0 errors
      • Only run on one of the sticks, which is all I was using for testing at the time
  • One RAM stick at a time trying different slots
  • Updated UEFI BIOS

I think that covers all the things I've tried. I'm currently in the process of running memtest again but plan on this run being for 24+ hours to see what the result is. I don't hold a lot of hope for this being the issue since there hasn't been a single crash in the old system for years, but I suppose you never know. I'm out of ideas aside from replacing the CPU. I know it's not typically likely, but I would like to see if anyone has additional ideas before I pull the trigger on a CPU replacement to try that.

11 minutes ago, Prstorero said:

Hey everyone. After a lot of testing and trying to rule things out, I'm pretty stumped at the moment and hoping you guys have some ideas for what else I could potentially try.

• OS - Windows 11 (note crashing also happens booting flash drives of a windows installation media and Macrium)
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 - 64 bit
  • What OS was originally installed on the system - Nothing, Windows 11 installed fresh
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer) - Purchased by me
  • Age of system (hardware) - All components are new except the RAM, which was purchased January 10th 2019
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS - Brand new install
  • CPU model - Ryzen 5600G
  • Video Card model - Integrated graphics
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) - Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this) - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM 650 W 80+ Gold
  • System Manufacturer - Myself
  • Exact model number (if OEM or laptop) - N/A
  • Laptop or Desktop - Desktop

The problem:

I get either an immediate BSOD or shortly after attempting to boot some media. I've tried booting a new SSD with a fresh copy of Windows 11, a flash drive containing Windows 11 installation media, and a flash drive containing Macrium Reflect. All of these experience the same issue. I have gotten numerous BSOD's, each of which will be listed below.

The first occurrence:

I installed some Windows updates and rebooted after installation, then was never able to boot again. But I feel that this is coincidental given the crashes when booting from flash drives

BSOD's that happened:

• CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (only saw this one the couple times when Macrium managed to boot to crash later randomly or when attempting to shut down)
  • ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

What I have tried:

• Remove all hardware except what's necessary including the SSD to just boot flash drives (including SSD being removed to rule out faulty Windows driver)
  • A different PSU from my old system that has been running perfectly for 5 years
  • New motherboard
  • Different set of RAM
    • I tried a set from my old system, same issues occurred
      • I started to wonder if the sticks I had from both systems weren't on the QVL for the board, but it turns out that one set is
    • I did one run of memtest86 on the QVL RAM for 9 hours overnight and had 0 errors
      • Only run on one of the sticks, which is all I was using for testing at the time
  • One RAM stick at a time trying different slots
  • Updated UEFI BIOS

I think that covers all the things I've tried. I'm currently in the process of running memtest again but plan on this run being for 24+ hours to see what the result is. I don't hold a lot of hope for this being the issue since there hasn't been a single crash in the old system for years, but I suppose you never know. I'm out of ideas aside from replacing the CPU. I know it's not typically likely, but I would like to see if anyone has additional ideas before I pull the trigger on a CPU replacement to try that.

Sounds like a tough question. Nothing seems wrong with the components nor the storage since It can boot if. Have you tried booting into windows recovery utility and used start up repair? Might be an option but another thing you could try is get a fresh installation of windows 11 and install without Macrium to see if fixes the issue. Are you able to get into the bios still to select boot drives as well? If you cannot boot into BIOS then it sounds bricked, but the BSOD doesn't indicate its bricked. May be an option to try.

4 minutes ago, code_ said:

Sounds like a tough question. Nothing seems wrong with the components nor the storage since It can boot if. Have you tried booting into windows recovery utility and used start up repair? Might be an option but another thing you could try is get a fresh installation of windows 11 and install without Macrium to see if fixes the issue. Are you able to get into the bios still to select boot drives as well? If you cannot boot into BIOS then it sounds bricked, but the BSOD doesn't indicate its bricked. May be an option to try.

I have tried booting Windows installation media from a flash drive, it results in an immediate BSOD as well. The drive that had the OS install wasn't a factor as it was removed from the board. I can get into the BIOS and memtest has been running fine. I had also tried a USB containing linux to have something to try that wasn't Windows-based and that crashes during the boot process as well.

23 minutes ago, Prstorero said:

Maybe a CPU swap may be worth it. Give a CPU swap a try hopefully that works on the BSOD - does it show a error code?

It shows a code but what was the most frequent error code you seen?

3 minutes ago, code_ said:

I went ahead and ordered one - it should be here tomorrow morning for me to try out. It's a bit hard to say what the most common was, but probably between ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Edit: It does not show an actual error code, unfortunately. Just the worded stop code.

Example:
image.png.624dcce8223fec0b088ddb09df097996.png

Just now, Prstorero said:

I went ahead and ordered one - it should be here tomorrow morning for me to try out. It's a bit hard to say what the most common was, but probably between ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

It's definitely a wired problem, hopefully the CPU swap will solve the issue. Keep us updated on if that works. It sounds like a memory issue possibly from the error code.

2 minutes ago, code_ said:

It's definitely a wired problem, hopefully the CPU swap will solve the issue. Keep us updated on if that works. It sounds like a memory issue possibly from the error code.

Thanks. I'm wondering the same, but don't have high hopes it's the memory since I tried two different sets that have been in use for years in their prior systems with 0 crashes with heavy use. Of course that doesn't mean it's not possible and I plan to let memtest run until tomorrow morning to see if any errors do happen.

I'll definitely make an update once the new CPU comes in to see if that solves the problem.

4 minutes ago, Prstorero said:

Thanks. I'm wondering the same, but don't have high hopes it's the memory since I tried two different sets that have been in use for years in their prior systems with 0 crashes with heavy use. Of course that doesn't mean it's not possible and I plan to let memtest run until tomorrow morning to see if any errors do happen.

I'll definitely make an update once the new CPU comes in to see if that solves the problem.

Alright! Hopefully it solves the issue! 

Quick question, I put your parts into a pc builder website and found some incompatibility issues...The components are fine and are compatible but here's what it says:

I highly recommend If you haven't already try updating the BIOS to F13 to see if that fixes the issue.

Go to your motherboard's website grab the install file for your bios put onto a usb (follow manufacturer instructions on how to install it if you don't know how to) and try updating that to see if that solves the issue.

image.png.d7d1c882450cdfc49172af4af3997cd7.png

9 minutes ago, code_ said:

Quick question, I put your parts into a pc builder website and found some incompatibility issues...The components are fine and are compatible but here's what it says:

I highly recommend If you haven't already try updating the BIOS to F13 to see if that fixes the issue.

Go to your motherboard's website grab the install file for your bios put onto a usb (follow manufacturer instructions on how to install it if you don't know how to) and try updating that to see if that solves the issue.

image.png.d7d1c882450cdfc49172af4af3997cd7.png

F13 actually isn't a supported BIOS for this board. I struggled with this for a while the other day, it turns out this is the page for what I have: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX/support#support-dl-bios (bookmarked since it was such a pain to find the first time). The board came with FB and I had tried upgrading it to FCc which didn't change anything. Note 1.3 and 1.2 seem the same based on the fact they list the same checksum for the file.

When you just Google the board, it brings up version 1.0, which I'm not sure if they make anymore. But I have either 1.2 or 1.3 which don't support the bios files for 1.0

3 minutes ago, Prstorero said:

F13 actually isn't a supported BIOS for this board. I struggled with this for a while the other day, it turns out this is the page for what I have: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX/support#support-dl-bios (bookmarked since it was such a pain to find the first time). The board came with FB and I had tried upgrading it to FCc which didn't change anything. Note 1.3 and 1.2 seem the same based on the fact they list the same checksum for the file.

When you just Google the board, it brings up version 1.0, which I'm not sure if they make anymore. But I have either 1.2 or 1.3 which don't support the bios files for 1.0

Thats strange, hopefully the CPU swap works. If CPU swap doesn't work, try to find an alternate mb which supports the CPU may be worth a try.

1 minute ago, code_ said:

Thats strange, hopefully the CPU swap works. If CPU swap doesn't work, try to find an alternate mb which supports the CPU may be worth a try.

Yeah, that will be worth exploring if the CPU doesn't solve the issue. There don't seem to be a lot of options for itx am4, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Hoping I don't have to return two motherboards lol.

4 minutes ago, Prstorero said:

Yeah, that will be worth exploring if the CPU doesn't solve the issue. There don't seem to be a lot of options for itx am4, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Hoping I don't have to return two motherboards lol.

Fingers crossed 🤞 keep me informed :) 

21 hours ago, code_ said:

Fingers crossed 🤞 keep me informed 🙂

So far so good with the new CPU, no crashes yet. I'm getting drivers installed and will be doing updates. Once all that is done I'll run some stress tests!

Stressed things for a bit and haven't had any crashes, I feel safe to say the new CPU solved the issue. I went ahead and marked one of your replies as the solution @code_

14 hours ago, Prstorero said:

Stressed things for a bit and haven't had any crashes, I feel safe to say the new CPU solved the issue. I went ahead and marked one of your replies as the solution @code_

Yayyyy at least it's finally working ❤️ hopefully it doesn't crash but that is a good sign! Keep monitoring on it just in case ^^ if issues still occur doesn't hesitate to give the motherboard a swap in case the issues still occur. But I'm glad the issues has been resolved ❤️