Go to 1440p or 4k??

Goliath_1911

Hello i guys, recently i decided it is time to change my 6 year old monitor , Samsung Odyssey QDOT 24 inch 1080p running at 144hz, it is curved and has a VA panel. I saw a friend`s Odyssey G3 which has a ips panel and it kinda looked better than mine in colors so i thought imma go IPS this time, as well as feeling the need to get a bit bigger monitor , 27 or 28 inch as i finally feel that "24 inch is the sweet spot" is over. 
So plan is going 27/28 inch, dont care about curve , IPS preferably , but I can`t decide on the Resolution, 1440p or 4k. I have already built  a new rig recently, but i didnt upgrade my GPU and remain on a 2070 super . It will handle 1440p but i doubt about 4k, i plan to replace it with a second hand 3080 ti or 3090 or just wait till the 5000 series since the 4080 handles 4k good, the 5000 series hopefully will be even better at 4k.

So i am thinking either get a 1440p that i can run right now , and postpone buying gpu till 5000 series, and have a easier time running the resolution in the future.
OR get the 4k monitor, struggle a bit, but in the very long term i would not have to think of changing the monitor to go to higher resolution, you know either a jump from 1080p to 1440p then later on jump to 4k or just a big jump from 1080p to 4k and forget about upgrading the monitor for a long while.

the 2 i am conisdering are

-1440p Samsung 27AG500 27″ Odyssey G5 2k
-4k : Samsung 28BG702 Odyssey G7 28″

Also i would welcome any recommendations for alternatives, and wouldnt mind getting a high end 1440p with better features ( non gimmicks ofcourse!)  instead of the 4k one.

Thanks in advance!!

5 minutes ago, Goliath_1911 said:

Hello i guys, recently i decided it is time to change my 6 year old monitor , Samsung Odyssey QDOT 24 inch 1080p running at 144hz, it is curved and has a VA panel. I saw a friend`s Odyssey G3 which has a ips panel and it kinda looked better than mine in colors so i thought imma go IPS this time, as well as feeling the need to get a bit bigger monitor , 27 or 28 inch as i finally feel that "24 inch is the sweet spot" is over. 
So plan is going 27/28 inch, dont care about curve , IPS preferably , but I can`t decide on the Resolution, 1440p or 4k. I have already built  a new rig recently, but i didnt upgrade my GPU and remain on a 2070 super . It will handle 1440p but i doubt about 4k, i plan to replace it with a second hand 3080 ti or 3090 or just wait till the 5000 series since the 4080 handles 4k good, the 5000 series hopefully will be even better at 4k.

So i am thinking either get a 1440p that i can run right now , and postpone buying gpu till 5000 series, and have a easier time running the resolution in the future.
OR get the 4k monitor, struggle a bit, but in the very long term i would not have to think of changing the monitor to go to higher resolution, you know either a jump from 1080p to 1440p then later on jump to 4k or just a big jump from 1080p to 4k and forget about upgrading the monitor for a long while.

the 2 i am conisdering are

-1440p Samsung 27AG500 27″ Odyssey G5 2k
-4k : Samsung 28BG702 Odyssey G7 28″

Also i would welcome any recommendations for alternatives, and wouldnt mind getting a high end 1440p with better features ( non gimmicks ofcourse!)  instead of the 4k one.

Thanks in advance!!

at less then 30 inch i recomend 1400p

Gigabyte M27Q for 1440p 27 inch 170Hz 0.5ms response time with great colour and HDR

Or MSI G272QPF, same as above but 1ms instead of 0.5 but with better colour again, though a little pricier for the extra colour

so whatever your preference is on the actually meaningful "gimmicks" 😋

4K is hard to run on top end graphics in hard to run game, so if you want framerates that keep up with the refresh rates with high/ultra and/or raytracing 1440p is the way to go

Im playing cyberpunk with maxed setting on 1440p with HDR on and struggling to get above 130fps in crowded areas so on higher end games like that 4K pushes the boat out quite a bit on balancing and justifying its price and FPS with refresh rate

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Typically VA panels have better (looking) colors, as they have a higher native contrast ration compared to IPS. The downside to VA is its worse viewing angles (hence they are typically used in curved monitors, so you always look at them from an favorable angle).

So the reason why the colors looked better on your friends monitor could be due to other reasons, maybe it was brighter or he used a more saturated image profile. That being said, if you are after a better visual experience VA is the way to go for the better contrast.

The typical downside to VA panels is, that they update their pixels slower than IPS, which leads to "smearing", but as far as I'm aware that is no longer a real problem on modern VA panels.

If you want a good resource for comparing monitors, I can recommend Rtings.com. Their table tool is pretty helpful, but they don't test every single monitor out there. So your millage may vary!

13 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Gigabyte M27Q for 1440p 27 inch 170Hz 0.5ms response time with great colour and HDR

Or MSI G272QPF, same as above but 1ms instead of 0.5 but with better colour again, though a little pricier for the extra colour

so whatever your preference is on the actually meaningful "gimmicks" 😋

4K is hard to run on top end graphics in hard to run game, so if you want framerates that keep up with the refresh rates with high/ultra and/or raytracing 1440p is the way to go

Im playing cyberpunk with maxed setting on 1440p with HDR on and struggling to get above 130fps in crowded areas so on higher end games like that 4K pushes the boat out quite a bit on balancing and justifying its price and FPS with refresh rate

Thank you for ur reply !! will look into those monitors
As for the non gimmicks part i meant something like freesync premium or gsync, HDR , QDOT etc

16 minutes ago, adm0n said:

So the reason why the colors looked better on your friends monitor could be due to other reasons, maybe it was brighter or he used a more saturated image profile. That being said, if you are after a better visual experience VA is the way to go for the better contrast.

Hmmmm might be, i will look into the color profiles for each monitor , though i think it is stock profile.

Also yeah another thing i was looking out for was the smearing, his monitor looked smoother, but idk if it was the 144 vs 165 difference (its not much to make a difference right?) or if its just because it is an old VA panel.
Thanks!

26 minutes ago, adm0n said:

The typical downside to VA panels is, that they update their pixels slower than IPS, which leads to "smearing", but as far as I'm aware that is no longer a real problem on modern VA panels.

Can speak from experience with my VA monitor. Manufacturers attempt to fix this with "overdrive" or similar technology. Overdrive will try to minimize the effect but will not go away completely. You mainly see this effect along contrasting edges between light/dark pixels and may produce green/pinkish smearing, especially along fast moving objects. Best I can describe it is like CA (chromatic abberration) but YT videos will definitely try to highlight these issues. 

Otherwise, I like the contrast from my VA monitor more than an IPS so I'll live with this downside, which hasn't really bothered me anymore.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, Goliath_1911 said:

if its just because it is an old VA panel.

This is likely the problem. Also I think monitors generally get dimmer as they age, because the backlight slowly wears out.

The profile might be standard, but you can get monitors that cover 178% of the sRGB colorspace (the colorspace for normal consumer content). Depending how uniform that extension is, they will look way more saturated, but they are less accurate and some colors might really look wrong.

Sometimes monitors also just over-saturate colors in the default setting. You see the same thing with TVs and phone displays. I usually prefer the natural settings, that way you only see really vibrant colors when it's intended and not always.

Also if you are interested in HDR, the added contrast from VA panels can help. Even if getting a decent HDR experience is still really expensive, you can get at least half way there with a bright enough VA panel compared to an IPS.

3 hours ago, Goliath_1911 said:

Thank you for ur reply !! will look into those monitors
As for the non gimmicks part i meant something like freesync premium or gsync, HDR , QDOT etc

Yeah, i thought that was what it was, just jesting, but HDR, QDOT etc do make a difference, HDR pretty massively improves colour quality and variation,

and the difference between the colour space and price of the 2 monitors i suggested is the QDOT that MSI has

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3