Replacing 11 year old PC or just replace GPU?

kokoraki
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
50 minutes ago, kokoraki said:

Budget (including currency): Minimum

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: DayZ @ 1080p, 4k video playback

Other details: I built my current PC back in 2012-ish, showing its age now and the GPU just died. Specs:

Intel i5 4670k

GTX 780 3GB 

mini-ITX board

Cooler master hyperX 212x cooler

It suits my needs fine other than the dead GPU, is it worth upgrading to a more modern platform or just get a used GPU, like a GTX1080 or something? 

I think you're best off replacing the whole system, especially if you're playing something like DayZ. The reason being that those sorts of games are more CPU bound than GPU, especially when it comes to average framerate.

4790k isn't far off from a 4670k and Warframe is a great single example to demonstrate this limitation. Same concept carries over to any game where enemy/player positioning is negotiated across the network.

Worst case scenario, you buy the GPU you're eyeing and if the experience still isn't acceptable, look at ~$250-$300 for a new platform as well.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: DayZ @ 1080p, 4k video playback

Other details: I built my current PC back in 2012-ish, showing its age now and the GPU just died. Specs:

Intel i5 4670k

GTX 780 3GB 

mini-ITX board

It suits my needs fine other than the dead GPU, is it worth upgrading to a more modern platform or just get a used GPU, like a GTX1080 or something? 

2 minutes ago, kokoraki said:

Intel i5 4670k

GTX 780 3GB 

mini-ITX board

If its meeting your needs and you only play DayZ, replace the GPU with an RX580 or something.

If you want to branch out into more modern games, do a full system.

Budget minimum is quite vague.

47 minutes ago, kokoraki said:

Intel i5 4670k

GTX 780 3GB 

mini-ITX board

how's the CPU, do you experience occasional stutters or occasional lags if you try to do too much? and does it bother you?

because like @Hinjima said, just for playing DayZ the PC sounds good with ofc getting a working GPU

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

50 minutes ago, kokoraki said:

Intel i5 4670k

GTX 780 3GB 

mini-ITX board

I think you're best off replacing the whole system, especially if you're playing something like DayZ. The reason being that those sorts of games are more CPU bound than GPU, especially when it comes to average framerate.

4790k isn't far off from a 4670k and Warframe is a great single example to demonstrate this limitation. Same concept carries over to any game where enemy/player positioning is negotiated across the network.

Worst case scenario, you buy the GPU you're eyeing and if the experience still isn't acceptable, look at ~$250-$300 for a new platform as well.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£125.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: *MSI PRO B760-P DDR4 II ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£119.99 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£58.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £304.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-11 20:26 GMT+0000

Thanks all, I'll go with something like Why_Me suggested above, cheaper than I thought.