Windows clock going back 2 hours (WTF?!)

jvkeizer

Hello everyone. I have a very weird problem that I couldn't solve with my Googling skills. Every day or so my windows clock jumps back 2 hours. I have set it to the right time zone and to sync with internet time automatically. Also I can fix it by manually syncing but I don't want to have to do that every time, plus I sometimes get mislead by the clock thinking it's still very early while it's actually 2 hours later than I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  :)

EDIT: Setting the time manually (disabling internet syncing) doesn't fix the issue either. Also, I have reinstalled Windows once on this machine and before that I was already having the issue as well.

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

have you checked the bios yet? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

What should I check in the bios?

Edit: the time in the bios is the correct time

ok then reset cmos battery thing bios thingy but leave all the setting as they are and see if it still happens if so try updating bios and if that still doesnt work then i haz no idea 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Try replacing the CMOS battery. That is the big silver battery on the motherboard, it should have "CR2032" inscribed on it.

Windows connects to internet to update the time and date of the system, it does this every day.

Click on windows's clock and  then click on change time and date, then Check if your time zone is correct, and if daylight savings is enable or disabled.  

You can also change the server where windows is checking the time, in the same window where you change the time go to the tab internet time, click in the change configuration button and then choose another server from the drop down list.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Windows connects to internet to update the time and date of the system, it does this every day.

Click on windows's clock and  then click on change time and date, then Check if your time zone is correct, and if daylight savings is enable or disabled.  

You can also change the server where windows is checking the time, in the same window where you change the time go to the tab internet time, click in the change configuration button and then choose another server from the drop down list.

I run into this more often than I should and this is usually the fix I use. Just right click on the time in the task bar and select "adjust date/time", then select the tab "Internet Time", select "Change settings...", select a different server from the dropdown menu, then hit Update now. You may need to try a few different servers.

time

I know im regurgitating what you said but I like adding screens.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

Take the battery out and then put it back. Problem solve.

I run into this more often than I should and this is usually the fix I use. Just right click on the time in the task bar and select "adjust date/time", then select the tab "Internet Time", select "Change settings...", select a different server from the dropdown menu, then hit Update now. You may need to try a few different servers.

I know im regurgitating what you said but I like adding screens.

Try replacing the CMOS battery. That is the big silver battery on the motherboard, it should have "CR2032" inscribed on it.

None of this worked. Sigh. Guess I'm gonna have to ignore the Windows clock and look on my phone for the time.

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

try setting it to your time zone again

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Why would the BIOS have anything to do with Windows? O.o .... dont pull out the CMOS lol no..

try to set it yourself and timezone.. maybe something higher than yours.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

If previous suggestions aren't helping than just adjust the time zone +2:00 hrs. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I'm following this, this happens to me after using ubuntu; time in BIOS is ok

Hmm interesting. I use my machine for OS X (Hackintosh), which is unix based, as well. Maybe it has to do something with that.

If previous suggestions aren't helping than just adjust the time zone +2:00 hrs.

Why would the BIOS have anything to do with Windows? O.o .... dont pull out the CMOS lol no..try to set it yourself and timezone.. maybe something higher than yours.

It's not always 2 hours off, so changing the time zone wouldn't do the trick either.

It's not always 2 hours off, so changing the time zone wouldn't do the trick either.

Well Idk :(, it happened to me once and I just disabled the internet time thing and uninstalled chrome (LTT time stamps were 1hr off). 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Try to unplug from the network and see if it still happening. If it doesn't happen when not connected, you'll narrow down the problem to the network setup. You can try to tinker with your router's time and date settings after that.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Hmm interesting. I use my machine for OS X (Hackintosh), which is unix based, as well. Maybe it has to do something with that.

Not quite, all operating systems use acpi to communicate the bios to get the time in UTC. What the application that wants to know the time does with this is totally not OS based. You could always just try setting the time manually and turning off internet time?

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

I dualboot with ubuntu and it likes to mess with the clock. Always have to manually set the clock back after using it. Not that I use it often since it failes to find the proper driver for my onboard nic. After googling it seems this problem has been around for a few years and nobody bothered to fix it. It's a realtek nic on a new motherboard, 970A-UD3p. Of course the workaround doesn't work for me. Oh well.

/linux rant

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Well Idk :(, it happened to me once and I just disabled the internet time thing and uninstalled chrome (LTT time stamps were 1hr off). 

Try to unplug from the network and see if it still happening. If it doesn't happen when not connected, you'll narrow down the problem to the network setup. You can try to tinker with your router's time and date settings after that.

Not quite, all operating systems use acpi to communicate the bios to get the time in UTC. What the application that wants to know the time does with this is totally not OS based. You could always just try setting the time manually and turning off internet time?

I'll be trying manual time a while then.

Alright so I tried the manual time (so I turned off internet syncing) and now it is running 2 hours behind AGAIN. This is getting really frustrating...