New 7800X3D System Build Question

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
7 minutes ago, Omnislash89 said:

if I should be going with the BIOS version 1303, as stated on PCPartPicker, or the 1709 that appears to be the most recent released.

The 1303 on PCPP is the minimum revision needed to work. Go for the most recent though. 

I know the SOC Voltage issue was claimed to be "for maximum memory compatability" but community consunsus is that it's a cop-out by ASUS.

I do tend to agree with ASUS actually setting it that high out of the box though (at least at the time). AMD gave guidelines that 1.4V was safe, and ASUS just took their word for it. To be clear, their overall handling of the issue when it was deemed to be unsafe was bad, but it wasn't unreasonable for them to do that originally. 

I do somewhat question the need for an X670E Gene in this system though. It's completely unnecessary for this type of system, with the main benefits of it being for extreme overclocking and running things like DDR5 8000+. If you're not doing that, a simple ~$150-200 mATX board will be more than adequate. 

Budget (including currency): $2600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some AAA, mostly multitasking between MS office and Gaming, some Web Dev.

Other details: (From PCPartPicker) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mxFJmD

Major qustion relating to the BIOS update required--

Based upon the support>BIOS page for the ROG X760 Gene mobo (ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE Support) if I should be going with the BIOS version 1303, as stated on PCPartPicker, or the 1709 that appears to be the most recent released.

I am planning on using the following RAM kit with the system, in case there is any concern of incompatability at the timings profile if comes shipped with...as this kit (at profile settings is listed on the mobo vendor list): G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 and I know the SOC Voltage issue was claimed to be "for maximum memory compatability" but community consunsus is that it's a cop-out by ASUS.

Any suggestions as to what BIOS I'll be working with or issues I'll be expected to fix within the UEFI before heavy use?
I was expecting to be able to take advantage of EXPO II with this build, as advertised by ASUS's feature set for this unnecessarily expensive mATX motherboard.

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

10 minutes ago, Omnislash89 said:

Budget (including currency): $2600 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some AAA, mostly multitasking between MS office and Gaming, some Web Dev.

Other details: (From PCPartPicker) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mxFJmD

Major qustion relating to the BIOS update required--

Based upon the support>BIOS page for the ROG X760 Gene mobo (ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE Support) if I should be going with the BIOS version 1303, as stated on PCPartPicker, or the 1709 that appears to be the most recent released.

I am planning on using the following RAM kit with the system, in case there is any concern of incompatability at the timings profile if comes shipped with...as this kit (at profile settings is listed on the mobo vendor list): G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 and I know the SOC Voltage issue was claimed to be "for maximum memory compatability" but community consunsus is that it's a cop-out by ASUS.

Any suggestions as to what BIOS I'll be working with or issues I'll be expected to fix within the UEFI before heavy use?
I was expecting to be able to take advantage of EXPO II with this build, as advertised by ASUS's feature set for this unnecessarily expensive mATX motherboard.

Just update to the latest BIOS 🙂 
I have used the RAM you listed in multiple AM5 builds and its worked without any issues!

if I should be going with the BIOS version 1303, as stated on PCPartPicker, or the 1709 that appears to be the most recent released.

The 1303 on PCPP is the minimum revision needed to work. Go for the most recent though. 

I know the SOC Voltage issue was claimed to be "for maximum memory compatability" but community consunsus is that it's a cop-out by ASUS.

I do tend to agree with ASUS actually setting it that high out of the box though (at least at the time). AMD gave guidelines that 1.4V was safe, and ASUS just took their word for it. To be clear, their overall handling of the issue when it was deemed to be unsafe was bad, but it wasn't unreasonable for them to do that originally. 

I do somewhat question the need for an X670E Gene in this system though. It's completely unnecessary for this type of system, with the main benefits of it being for extreme overclocking and running things like DDR5 8000+. If you're not doing that, a simple ~$150-200 mATX board will be more than adequate. 

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The idea is to give it some legroom to be an extreme OC toy at some point. That's how I got into PC building back in 2013 and I've been itching to tweak for a while. I also plan on using it for distributed computing (like the folding@home days of old).

Also plan on using it as the brain center of my smarthome, so the additional future-proofing some of its feature set will allow it to be a fire-and-forget missile for the next 10 years or more as budgets increase and toys (smart applications/fixtures get more expensive.

I've always erred on the side of what I want to have to use in 5 years versus initial use-case-- repurposed my old Ivybridge-E system 3 times during its life and my Ryzen 1 system is about on its last 2 years of usability in "heavy" lifting.

55 minutes ago, Omnislash89 said:

The idea is to give it some legroom to be an extreme OC toy at some point. That's how I got into PC building back in 2013 and I've been itching to tweak for a while

With a 7800X3D though, you're going to have the same amount of tuning headroom as you will with a $300 board. The 7800X3D is incredibly locked down, where there's just nothing you can really do for tuning (ECLK tuning somewhat exists, though that doesn't really do anything useful). If you want to do tuning at some point, Intel is the only platform with headroom still left on the table. 

42 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

With a 7800X3D though, you're going to have the same amount of tuning headroom as you will with a $300 board. The 7800X3D is incredibly locked down, where there's just nothing you can really do for tuning (ECLK tuning somewhat exists, though that doesn't really do anything useful). If you want to do tuning at some point, Intel is the only platform with headroom still left on the table. 

At some point, I expect to upgrade to another AM5 chip. Just a matter of how many years until I flip this one. I got it specifically for the 3D v-cache for gaming before I need it to expand its throughput.