Best server OS?

Max853lolz

Hello! I’m trying to build a home server for some things:

I have a 128gb ssd for a website I want to host myself

i I have a 500gb I want to use for a plex server

i have another 500gb hard drive I want to use for a Minecraft server

all I need to know is what would be the easiest OS to configure and set all of this up?

The operating system you have the most experience usually makes up for the best beginner friendly setup. Other than that, those arent hard to launch in a docker/k8 container. Proxmox would be my go to distribution for VMs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Also, if you’re trying to host a website you’re likely going to need a non-residential connection. Almost no residential service will allow unfiltered HTTP/S traffic.

5 minutes ago, Echothedolpin said:

Also, if you’re trying to host a website you’re likely going to need a non-residential connection. Almost no residential service will allow unfiltered HTTP/S traffic.

Fair point lmao. Thanks for the heads up

On 12/10/2023 at 8:44 AM, Max853lolz said:

all I need to know is what would be the easiest OS to configure and set all of this up?

I like ubuntu server as an OS it has lots of guides and a large install base. I would caution against VMs as they tend to be more resource intensive than containers and if part of your goal is to get some sort of valuable experience it is my opinion that experience with containerization is more valuable than virtualization. My go to for containers is docker BTW.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, Echothedolpin said:

Both of the residential ISPs in my area have never had any issue with me having http/s traffic coming from my home, this is not to say that you are wrong, this is true in many places but also isn't true in many others.