RTX 3070 causing Blue Screening in games

Fuzzyy

Hi all, so for a while now my 3 year old RTX 3070 is randomly causing blue screens in my PC. I have narrowed the blue screening issue down to my GPU, since I have tried to run the same games with 3070Ti that I borrowed from a friend, and it did not happen with that. Now I am trying to find out what is wrong with my GPU. I have tried reinsatlling Windows, Updating the BIOS, using DDU to freshly install drivers and nothing worked. The temps hover around 65-70C on GPU and 75C on CPU while in game, so not very high also. I thought of PSU might be the issue, however with a 3070Ti the blue screen did not happen. I can say that every time I play Rust and MW3, it bluescreens, and often on CS2. Below are my specs:

• R5 5600X + Noctua NH-L12S
  • ASUS B550-I
  • Corsair LPX 32GB Ram
  • EVGA RTX 3070 (Also tried with ASUS TUF 3070Ti and a spare ASUS Dual 3060, had no issues) + Louque Gen4 Riser Cable
  • Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum
  • FormD T1 Mini ITX Case
  • Corsair 980 PRO 1TB

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

Are you able to test the other way around? Your 3070 in your friends machine?

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

6 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

Which bluescreen errors? Id test also test without the riser, these can cause issues.

Seconded - risers have been the issue for a lot of people in this forum. Keep forgetting that since I never use them myself

16 hours ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Yes I can do that, I will let you know of the results in a day

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

16 hours ago, Sjaakie said:

Which bluescreen errors? Id test also test without the riser, these can cause issues.

The last one I got was with the stop code: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I will test without the riser also, which I can do on the weekend because I have to disassemble my case to install it on the motherboard. Not the first time I had problems with this riser, before it was causing my pc to randomly reboot because there was a contact issue in one of the pins.

On 12/4/2023 at 5:17 PM, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I did test this yesterday, and we did not get blue screens, but did see system reboots as well. So I guess the GPU is f'd up somehow... I wonder what is wrong

14 hours ago, Fuzzyy said:

I did test this yesterday, and we did not get blue screens, but did see system reboots as well. So I guess the GPU is f'd up somehow... I wonder what is wrong

Hm.... maybe you can try undervolting?

That GPU should still be under EVGA warranty. Worth opening an RMA with them.

6 hours ago, Slizzo said:

That GPU should still be under EVGA warranty. Worth opening an RMA with them.

I got it at begining of December 2020, so I guess I am out of the 3 year warranty period, just barely

6 hours ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Hm.... maybe you can try undervolting?

Yeah I believe my best option is trying to undervolt now..

4 minutes ago, Slizzo said:

Try contacting them anyway to see if they'll do anything for you. Never hurts to ask.

@FuzzyySuper recommend - Logitech, EVGA and ASUS have all covered me to some extent outside my warranty before for computer parts/peripherals

On 12/12/2023 at 10:51 PM, ItTakes2ToMango said:

@FuzzyySuper recommend - Logitech, EVGA and ASUS have all covered me to some extent outside my warranty before for computer parts/peripherals

I have contacted them about the issue, hopefully can get an RMA

On 12/4/2023 at 5:26 PM, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Seconded - risers have been the issue for a lot of people in this forum. Keep forgetting that since I never use them myself

Ok so weird thing happened today, I did an open bench build, without the riser, and I did not get any random crashes-reboots, looks like my GPU does not like riser cables at all, but I have to use it due to my case layout(mini itx, formd t1). The other PC i tested it also had a riser cable (NZXT H1 2022 version), thats why I got blue screens. So I guess I need a high quality riser, or will it not work at all? I am not sure... The riser I have currently is Louqe's Cobalt riser.

Try forcing PCI-E to Gen 3.0 in your motherboard BIOS. There's been issues with some risers not working at full bandwidth. A newer good quality one should handle running at normal Gen 4.0 speeds though if you decide to go that route.

try clearing Cmos.

to do that you need  to remove the battery from the motherboard and wait 10min they install the battery back.

now when you turn on the pc it will say everything setting was reset to default.

also try running the command promp search for CMD run as admin and try SFC /SCANNOW

and try this comman chkdsk /r

On 12/15/2023 at 9:06 AM, Fuzzyy said:

Ok so weird thing happened today, I did an open bench build, without the riser, and I did not get any random crashes-reboots, looks like my GPU does not like riser cables at all, but I have to use it due to my case layout(mini itx, formd t1). The other PC i tested it also had a riser cable (NZXT H1 2022 version), thats why I got blue screens. So I guess I need a high quality riser, or will it not work at all? I am not sure... The riser I have currently is Louqe's Cobalt riser.

Sorry- I don't know anything about risers personally. Maybe a different one would just work? I would definitely do some research first. Good luck