Upgrade from Q701s

Pickles von Brine

I have been using a pair of Q701s for many years now (11-13 years now). They are getting long in the tooth - 2 sets of ear pads, a new band and I rewired them after the wires started breaking. I am looking for some new headphones. I LOVE the sound staging these guys provide and personally prefer open back vs closed back headphones. However, I am openminded toward that.

I use a Schiit Hel 2 for my DAC/Amp.

My budget is around $500-$600 USD.

Headphones I have considered - DT 1990 Pro, HD 660S2 or something around there.

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

With this kind of budget I'd completely disregard Beyerdynamic and sennheiser (unless you can find a pair of HD800S for $600) imo 660S2 just aren't worth the money Sennheiser wants for them, Beyer makes junk (seriously the more money you spend on Beyerdynamic the worse the headphones get)

The big one I'd look for is Focal Clear OG preferably, they're easily some of the best sounding headphones I've ever used. Hifiman Edition XS and possibly Ananda (if you can get a pair in budget) are very heavy hitters around 500usd but they do have competition. Focal Elear are great but just less great than OG Clear, Moondrop Venus are regarded as the best in this price but have been known to have reliability problems and are very heavy, I suppose Audeze LCD2's are decent for 600usd but honestly they don't hang out in todays market. The Aune AR5000 looks

VERY promising but are more of a 300-400usd player.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, Headphones at this budget are when you get into the crazy good stuff, OG Focal Clear are my favourite headphones ever made and I've gotten to play with some crazy equipment.

I love my dt1990pro, they're almost as good as my Focal Elex

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

1 hour ago, Cocococo said:

With this kind of budget I'd completely disregard Beyerdynamic and sennheiser (unless you can find a pair of HD800S for $600) imo 660S2 just aren't worth the money Sennheiser wants for them, Beyer makes junk (seriously the more money you spend on Beyerdynamic the worse the headphones get)

The big one I'd look for is Focal Clear OG preferably, they're easily some of the best sounding headphones I've ever used. Hifiman Edition XS and possibly Ananda (if you can get a pair in budget) are very heavy hitters around 500usd but they do have competition. Focal Elear are great but just less great than OG Clear, Moondrop Venus are regarded as the best in this price but have been known to have reliability problems and are very heavy, I suppose Audeze LCD2's are decent for 600usd but honestly they don't hang out in todays market. The Aune AR5000 looks

VERY promising but are more of a 300-400usd player.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, Headphones at this budget are when you get into the crazy good stuff, OG Focal Clear are my favourite headphones ever made and I've gotten to play with some crazy equipment.

The OG focals are way outside my budget. Same for several of the others you have mentioned. 500 dollars may be 6 if I am pushing it is all I am willing to go after. The others I am going to check out. Issue is planar magnetic headphones I find fatiguing after a while. I tried a few pairs at Audio46 in NYC for about 30 minutes. They started giving me an ear ache. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

*delete*

I ended up with a pair of XS'. I am really pleased with them.