I lost access to drive after a failed attempt to migrate windows 10 using partition wizard version 10 pls help.

Stevetheman
Go to solution Solved by da na,
6 minutes ago, Stevetheman said:

image.png.dffaa2921acdc9141f3c844405672bdb.pngimage.png.e739e256da37deb29f6e41f2920a44db.png
btw I tried restarting the disk managment program to no avail.

Looks like you've got a scrollbar in Disk Management. Tried using that? 

Alternatively, in Diskpart:

select disk #

create partition primary size=[however many megabytes]

format quick fs=ntfs label=[name]

assign letter=[drive letter]

activate

I wanted to move my windows install from a HDD to an SSD drive and I found a tutorial which seemed legitimate to me where he used the free software partition wizard to migrate data from one drive to another, upon selecting my drives and applying my settings my computer restarted as intended and showed the program preparing the migration but it stalled at 0% and froze. after a while of waiting it became clear that progress was unlikely so I decided to bite the bullet and restart my PC by holding down the power button. upon doing so it said "you do not have permission to access this folder" and told me to change permissions in the security tab, there was no security tab and I couldn't find any solutions online so I decided to clean my disk using diskpart. upon cleaning the disk I put the command create partition primary, then format fs=ntfs quick. upon doing so it says the perameter is incorrect and to check the system event log, upon checking there is an error which states: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}. I no longer see the drive in file explorer what should I do?

2 minutes ago, Stevetheman said:

I wanted to move my windows install from a HDD to an SSD drive and I found a tutorial which seemed legitimate to me where he used the free software partition wizard to migrate data from one drive to another, upon selecting my drives and applying my settings my computer restarted as intended and showed the program preparing the migration but it stalled at 0% and froze. after a while of waiting it became clear that progress was unlikely so I decided to bite the bullet and restart my PC by holding down the power button. upon doing so it said "you do not have permission to access this folder" and told me to change permissions in the security tab, there was no security tab and I couldn't find any solutions online so I decided to clean my disk using diskpart. upon cleaning the disk I put the command create partition primary, then format fs=ntfs quick. upon doing so it says the perameter is incorrect and to check the system event log, upon checking there is an error which states: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}. I no longer see the drive in file explorer what should I do?

Have you checked Disk Management? I'm guessing you probably have though

| Mark Solutions as Solutions | Just Because Nobody's Replied Doesn't Mean Nobody's Thinking | Refresh Often| Bottleneck Calculators are BS|

Main System: CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K/ COOLER: Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2/ RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz/ GPU: MSI RTX 3070 LHR Ventus 2x OC/ SSD1: 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD & SSD2: SK Hynix P41 2TB/ Case: Fractal Pop! Air (Black RGB TG Clear Tint)/ PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r23 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 60-67 C (140-152.6 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 71-74 C (161.6-178.4 F)

Second System: CPU: Intel Core i7-4790/ COOLER: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE/ RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Team Group DDR3 1600MHz/ GPU: AMD Radeon PRO W5700 GPU/ SSD: 250GB Samsung SATA SSD & HDD1: 1.5TB 2.5" HDD & HDD2: 500GB 2.5" HDD/ Case: Fractal Define 7 No Window/ PSU: Corsair RM1000X

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r23 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 50-56 C (122-136.8 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 69-73 C (156.2-163.4 F)

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3i 15IMH05 (Intel Core i5-10300H, 16GB DDR4 2933MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD & 500GB SATA SSD)

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r20 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 87-92 C (188.6-197.6 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 81-84 C (177.8-183.2 F)

Phone: iPhone SE 2 (2020 version)

Wait, you formatted the drive to repair the filesystem? Formatting erases all files present on the drive; there's very little you can do now, unfortunately (Unless you want to shell out hundreds for a service like DriveSavers).

The error you are seeing in the event log has nothing to do with the drive issue, it's nothing to worry about.

2 minutes ago, bobby3dse said:

Have you checked Disk Management? I'm guessing you probably have though

I see the drive present in Disk Management but I am unable to see it in file explorer, is there anything I can do with Disk manager to access the drive?

3 minutes ago, da na said:

Wait, you formatted the drive to repair the filesystem? Formatting erases all files present on the drive; there's very little you can do now, unfortunately (Unless you want to shell out hundreds for a service like DriveSavers).

The error you are seeing in the event log has nothing to do with the drive issue, it's nothing to worry about.

there were no files of importance to me before attempting to migrate my OS, do you mean that the drive itself is ruined?

Just now, Stevetheman said:

I see the drive present in Disk Management but I am unable to see it in file explorer, is there anything I can do with Disk manager to access the drive?

You can assign it a drive letter in Disk Management if it doesn't have one and see if that helps.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Stevetheman said:

there were no files of importance to me before attempting to migrate my OS, do you mean that the drive itself is ruined?

CMD as administrator, type:

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk (# of your drive)

Clean

Convert GPT

once that spits out the "Successfully converted" message, go to Disk Management and assign it a drive letter.

3 minutes ago, da na said:

CMD as administrator, type:

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk (# of your drive)

Clean

Convert GPT

once that spits out the "Successfully converted" message, go to Disk Management and assign it a drive letter.

I did this and now I no longer see the drive on Disk Management, what should I do now?

1 minute ago, da na said:

You sure it successfully converted to GPT? Should be there, shown as initialized but not partitioned.

it has, diskpart says the conversion was successful but it has disapeared from disk managment however upon using the command list disk the drive shows up.

13 minutes ago, Stevetheman said:

Try initializing it. Right click on the drive and hit initialize.

| Mark Solutions as Solutions | Just Because Nobody's Replied Doesn't Mean Nobody's Thinking | Refresh Often| Bottleneck Calculators are BS|

Main System: CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K/ COOLER: Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2/ RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz/ GPU: MSI RTX 3070 LHR Ventus 2x OC/ SSD1: 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD & SSD2: SK Hynix P41 2TB/ Case: Fractal Pop! Air (Black RGB TG Clear Tint)/ PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r23 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 60-67 C (140-152.6 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 71-74 C (161.6-178.4 F)

Second System: CPU: Intel Core i7-4790/ COOLER: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE/ RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Team Group DDR3 1600MHz/ GPU: AMD Radeon PRO W5700 GPU/ SSD: 250GB Samsung SATA SSD & HDD1: 1.5TB 2.5" HDD & HDD2: 500GB 2.5" HDD/ Case: Fractal Define 7 No Window/ PSU: Corsair RM1000X

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r23 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 50-56 C (122-136.8 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 69-73 C (156.2-163.4 F)

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3i 15IMH05 (Intel Core i5-10300H, 16GB DDR4 2933MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD & 500GB SATA SSD)

Temps under load: CPU: Under Cinebench r20 looped for 30 minutes, temps reach around 87-92 C (188.6-197.6 F)

GPU: Under Fur Mark for 45 minutes, temps reach around 81-84 C (177.8-183.2 F)

Phone: iPhone SE 2 (2020 version)

2 minutes ago, Stevetheman said:

it has, diskpart says the conversion was successful but it has disapeared from disk managment however upon using the command list disk the drive shows up.

Screenshots would be helpful in seeing what you mean. 

Did you close and reopen Disk Management?

Try "List Volume" in diskpart.

Just now, da na said:

image.png.dffaa2921acdc9141f3c844405672bdb.pngimage.png.e739e256da37deb29f6e41f2920a44db.png

4 minutes ago, da na said:

image.png.08c41bf4272423ee184ee857e9f6478b.png

-= Cleaned =-

Please keep replies relevant tot the topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 minutes ago, Stevetheman said:

select disk #

activate

2 minutes ago, da na said:

select disk #

how many mb should I put down?

2 minutes ago, da na said:

For now just put 80000, to see if creating the partition works... 

it worked, excuse me for asking but what do I put down for the name portion?

11 minutes ago, da na said:

select disk #

activate

upon following your advice by using the create partition primary size I went back into Disk Managment and I was able to assign it a letter, thank you so much for your time and support you have saved my drive and I am grateful for it.