How do I route my home network into a pihole docker container

daviden

I am running pihole in a docker container on my Ubuntu server computer. I have gotten to the point where I can access the web UI and modify settings with no problem. Before I route my whole network through pihole I just wanted to route my Windows desktop through it as a test, but when I manually enter the DNS server in the networking settings I then can't connect to anything. I'm not sure I'm using the right IP address, but I figure since I can access the web interface with no problem it has to be something else.

The IP address you use for pihole should be the same one you setup to access the webGUI of PIHole. You should have this IP address statically assigned from your DHCP server, usually your router. Also, make sure you disable the DHCP server on the PIHole so you dont have multiple servers on the same network. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The IP address you use for pihole should be the same one you setup to access the webGUI of PIHole. You should have this IP address statically assigned from your DHCP server, usually your router. Also, make sure you disable the DHCP server on the PIHole so you dont have multiple servers on the same network. 

I do have a static IP for the host computer and therefore pihole (presumably). To disable the DHCP server on the pihole is that something I need to do in my router or in pihole directly? Also just to verify I'm testing this correctly, I'm manually entering the IP address in the DNS field here.

image.png.43b0b056f4ed36ad43a9520f2c3c5474.png

3 minutes ago, daviden said:

I do have a static IP for the host computer and therefore pihole (presumably). To disable the DHCP server on the pihole is that something I need to do in my router or in pihole directly? Also just to verify I'm testing this correctly, I'm manually entering the IP address in the DNS field here.

image.png.43b0b056f4ed36ad43a9520f2c3c5474.png

My Pihole runs in a docker contained via Portainer inside Ubuntu Server inside Proxmox. None of these all have the same IP address -- the host system running Proxmox has its own address that I use for the web UI, Portainer has its own, and Pihole has yet another one.

Pihole itself has its own DHCP server, which you can enable/disable from the web interface.

Inside Windows, that should be how you configure a DNS server. What type of connection problems are you having, specifically, when you say you can't connect to anything? Are you able to ping the IP address of your Pihole server from within Windows?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

the PIHole should have its own IP address to access. You should have set this IP address when you ran the initial setup. Once you find this, you go to Settings > DNS and select which DNS servers you want to use for the pihole to pull its information from. Then go to the DHCP TAB and ensure it disabled. (Unchecked)

image.thumb.png.d7241880eeae3ae3b26f1d1433b1ab3d.png

image.thumb.png.52e16d7f038fa4da411336e6792d6ecd.png

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

My Pihole runs in a docker contained via Portainer inside Ubuntu Server inside Proxmox. None of these all have the same IP address -- the host system running Proxmox has its own address that I use for the web UI, Portainer has its own, and Pihole has yet another one.

Pihole itself has its own DHCP server, which you can enable/disable from the web interface.

Inside Windows, that should be how you configure a DNS server. What type of connection problems are you having, specifically, when you say you can't connect to anything? Are you able to ping the IP address of your Pihole server from within Windows?

Well, it looks like I can connect to certain things. Websites that haven't been cached still seem to be accessible (although I'm not noticing the affects of pihole). Steam however is unable to connect to a server, it gives me error code -105. Also the pihole web interface isn't registering any queries.

As for the pihole ip address, what I'm understanding is that the ip address I type in the search bar to access the web interface is not necessarily the same for the pihole itself? If that is the case I think I need help getting the ip address of the pihole.

13 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

the PIHole should have its own IP address to access. You should have set this IP address when you ran the initial setup. Once you find this, you go to Settings > DNS and select which DNS servers you want to use for the pihole to pull its information from. Then go to the DHCP TAB and ensure it disabled. (Unchecked)

image.thumb.png.d7241880eeae3ae3b26f1d1433b1ab3d.png

image.thumb.png.52e16d7f038fa4da411336e6792d6ecd.png

Okay, DHCP is (and was disabled). I think I'll have to look through my setup and see what IP address it has. I know the host computer has a static IP, maybe my router gave pi hole a slightly different one that is dynamic.

2 minutes ago, daviden said:

Well, it looks like I can connect to certain things. Websites that haven't been cached still seem to be accessible (although I'm not noticing the affects of pihole). Steam however is unable to connect to a server, it gives me error code -105. Also the pihole web interface isn't registering any queries.

As for the pihole ip address, what I'm understanding is that the ip address I type in the search bar to access the web interface is not necessarily the same for the pihole itself? If that is the case I think I need help getting the ip address of the pihole.

The IP address you type into the web bar is indeed the PIHole IP address you need to use for your DNS server. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Update:

So it looks like when I manually change the DNS server of my PC in windows, nothing happens. I don't know where it's getting its internet from, but it's (apparently) not through pihole. Even when I change the DNS server for my network entirely to the address of the pihole, nothing changes. I get no indication that anything is routing through it, yet I am getting internet access just like normal. I think somehow the network is going through pihole (or the host computer?) but its not getting registered or modified in any way.

@Skiiwee29

@Crunchy Dragon