Suspect PWM fan failure on Xbox One X... should I just replace the fan?

thewelshbrummie

My Xbox One X has been having fan issues for the last 2 years, since Christmas 2021 (purchased summer 2019). But it's been a manageable problem until this August, in that so long as I never powered down or reset my Xbox it would run for months on end without issue. The problem was that rebooting the console manually would cause the fan to just stop spinning and my Xbox would overheat very quickly (automatic updates for some reason weren't a problem). Electricity being very cheap where I am meant I haven't worried about it for months.

That was until July, when the same thing happened. Left it for a month and it didn't resolve the problem (unplugging it for 3-4 weeks usually got the fan to start working again).

I suspect that a PWM issue is the cause but I'm just wondering if the best option at this point is to just replace the fan.

Suggestions?

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

Take the cheaper route of the two.  At this time I would think that would be replacing the fan.  If you do that first and the  problem disappears, then great and then at least you know it wasn't the expensive road to take.  Process of elimination.

If the fan does NOT fix the problem, then you at least know the direction you need to take and you're only out the cost of the fan to figure out the problem.  But the fan probably needed replacing anyway because of age.

Take Care and Good Luck.

Where I'm a special breed of stupid, I would look into something like the NF-FC1 and see if it's the fan failing or the Xbox doing Xbox things. If it's just the Xbox having problems you could theoretically just build a USB voltage step-up converter for the controller and just treat it like a PS5: one idle speed for just dickin about, and one load speed for gaming (which would probably be less distracting than how the XB1X does its fan control anyways).

On 11/29/2023 at 12:21 AM, thewelshbrummie said:

automatic updates for some reason weren't a problem

So fun fact: The Xbox One/Series consoles will perform nightly updates (mine do it at about 3AM), and at least for the XBSX the fan never turns on, and I don't recall my XB1X doing it either. Now that my XB1X has an SSD in it I never hear it kick on in the morning, whereas I do hear the XBSX since it has an external HDD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• 1 month later...

My Xbox One X has been having fan issues for the last 2 years, since Christmas 2021 (purchased summer 2019). But it's been a manageable problem until this August, in that so long as I never powered down or reset my Xbox it would run for months on end without issue. The problem was that rebooting the console manually would cause the fan to just stop spinning and my Xbox would overheat very quickly (automatic updates for some reason weren't a problem). Electricity being very cheap where I am meant I haven't worried about it for months.

That was until July, when the same thing happened. Left it for a month and it didn't resolve the problem (unplugging it for 3-4 weeks usually got the fan to start working again).

I suspect that a PWM issue is the cause but I'm just wondering if the best option at this point is to just replace the fan.

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Sorry if I’m doing this wrong as I’m not savvy. 
I just want to mention that I find it odd that so many posts are from Christmas time. Maybe I’m just too tinfoil hat wearing? 
Christmas Eve I wanted to run out for some last minute shopping. I was playing Lego fn. I shut off my Xbox and left. I returned a few hours later and fired up my Xbox 1x and went into fn. just before the Lego map could load the screen went black. Powered off. I tried a dozen more times and same thing. Usually at the same point. I tried cod and same thing just as I went to load into a match. YouTube runs fine. Left it on overnight just to see and no problem. Did some googling and decided to take it halfway apart to clean. The vents were cluttered but the fan and heat sink didn’t look terrible. I ordered some thermal paste and have been a little obsessed watching videos and googling while waiting for it to arrive. ( side note: it arrived today and put it back together and although I managed to actually play for about 20 minutes it still shut off on me so I think I’ll replace the fan next ).

now seeing your post reminds me that in all my searching about this I find it interesting the amount of posts involving Christmas time. I challenge y’all to search and I think you’ll agree that an abundance of people’s issues, at least this issue with this machine come about right around Christmas. I can’t help it. I guess it’s just my nature but I highly suspect that it is by design.