Confusion about idle power between 12900k and 9900k

m9x3mos

Hello all, 

Was wondering if anyone knew or had references about idle power draw between these two chips. 

I am replacing my old 6700k nas/vm server and am trying to find out which one would have lower power draw at idle. 

The 12900k I know takes more power at full load but it is only intermittent at that as vms are working or updating. It will spend most it's time near idle based on the performance of the 6700k system. 

Currently it is running windows at the host with windows vms and truenas for the nas vm.

4 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

12900k will be more efficient per watt

yes, performance per watt per flop. But if a PC spends 95% of its time at idle it might not.

48 minutes ago, starsmine said:

yes, performance per watt per flop. But if a PC spends 95% of its time at idle it might not.

I wouldn’t worry about it, there no way you can afford a 12900k cpu and board but not afford electric bill 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

26 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

I wouldn’t worry about it, there no way you can afford a 12900k cpu and board but not afford electric bill 

???
That is an unhinged way of thinking about things. 
That is mentality that keeps you poor. 

OP since this is a NAS and for VMs, I would look more into AMD. You can find am5 boards that use ECC and the efficiency is better at load as well as a lot of cores. Watts to complete a job is almost always lower. 
Its not idle, but this chart shows what I mean, and any am5 chip with the X suffix is going to be out of its efficiency band. Put it in eco mode and they will be closer to the 7800x3D, or purchase a non x chip. 
(also not the 12900k at load is one of the most inefficient chips in intels line up)
i7-14700k_power-efficiency-4x_foolhardy_Remacri.png.webp

I think the issue with how hard OP's question is, is idle power has a LOT to do with motherboards, the chipset wattage, and its VRM efficiency.