GPU Caught on Fire !! Is it My Fault?

Purchased a used GALAX 3060 ti from eBay, which claimed to be fully tested - and multiple items had been sold (from the same listing).

There are no other mentions in the feedback about this item catching on fire.

I did clean the GPU PCIE connection area with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol - and waited at least 5 minutes (but I am not sure of the exact time).

As soon as the system powered-on, everything started smoking heavily.

I held down the Power Button to turn everything off, but even in that small amount of time there was a significant amount of smoke in the room.

Basically, I am trying to figure out whose fault this is -

Is it possible that the Isopropyl Alcohol had not completely dried, and this is my error?

Or is it more likely that the video card itself was already defective?

I'd recommend opening an eBay ticket and not telling them that you cleaned the connectors with ISO. Isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be the cause of the fire! Which is why it's irrelevant to put that in your claim. I am assuming that it could've been caused by your (but unlikely) power supply fault or the main culprit... the seller sold you a FAULTY GPU!

Good news is, eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer, so you should have no issue winning the claim! Can you please post the link to the eBay listing? I would like to do some more digging on the seller.

53 minutes ago, Nicklordzero said:

I'd recommend opening an eBay ticket and not telling them that you cleaned the connectors with ISO. Isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be the cause of the fire! Which is why it's irrelevant to put that in your claim. I am assuming that it could've been caused by your (but unlikely) power supply fault or the main culprit... the seller sold you a FAULTY GPU!

Good news is, eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer, so you should have no issue winning the claim! Can you please post the link to the eBay listing? I would like to do some more digging on the seller.

70% isopropyl alcohol contains a fair amount of water , 5 minutes is definately not enough time for it to dry.

Realistically for electronic cleaning you want the 99% stuff for this very reason. If I had to guess its shorted something important and cooked the card.

By the way op if you have an issue like this its best to yoink the psu cable not try to shut down with the button.

Try to return it , Don't lie just omit certain facts and hope for the best.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

5 minutes ago, Bagzie said:

70% isopropyl alcohol contains a fair amount of water , 5 minutes is definately not enough time for it to dry.

Realistically for electronic cleaning you want the 99% stuff for this very reason. If I had to guess its shorted something important and cooked the card.

By the way op if you have an issue like this its best to yoink the psu cable not try to shut down with the button.

Try to return it , Don't lie just omit certain facts and hope for the best.

Theoretically, a lot of people use 70% of ISO to clean their PCs. I don't as I have a stockpile of 99.9% ISO with me at all times, but I know a lot of friends who would douse their parts with 70% with zero issue. I don't condone doing it, though! I cringed, thinking that OP could've plugged the card wet inside the PCIe slot... That still shouldn't of made it burst into flames, though! We need some photo evidence to see what it might have possibly burnt from!

What is the actual damage? Because there's actually not a lot that should produce that much smoke unless you truly ignited something on the board or in your PSU.

Also, realistically, you have to do a dry cloth wipe down and still give the iso time to dry. Though, realistically, something should have shorted and the PSU should have cut out, unless you ignited something on the surface rather than bridged connections.

Pictures help a lot.

8 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

What is the actual damage? Because there's actually not a lot that should produce that much smoke unless you truly ignited something on the board or in your PSU.

Also, realistically, you have to do a dry cloth wipe down and still give the iso time to dry. Though, realistically, something should have shorted and the PSU should have cut out, unless you ignited something on the surface rather than bridged connections.

Pictures help a lot.

That's what I'm saying! With the 20+ years of experience I have with computer hardware, I've never dealt with something just blowing up with smoke unless something was either tampered with or extremely faulty. I also buy 90% of my used GPUs from eBay and never had such issues with those cards. So this sounds like either severe user error or being scammed with a DOA card.