x570 chipset m2.2 set to GEN4 on Kingston SFYRS/1000G running slow

GustavoDune

Hi everyone,

I have a question I upgraded to a x570 motherboard (Asus TUF x570 Plus Wifi). I know the chipset provides on the lower M2 slot PCIE4.0 at 4x which should allow me to get the maximum speed for this m2 drive (the SFYRS/1000G) however Im seeing gen3 speeds as if it was running through the CPU which is indeed a G series and thats the speed I should get on the primary m2.1 slot because Im aware the CPU has less lanes due to the iGPU.

On the other hand Im suspecting it doesnt matter whether the chipset is at 4.0 4x if the busses of the CPU are not 4.0 is this right?

I thought if the chipset offered a 4.0 it should run at that speed. CrystalDiskInfo shows PCIe 4.0 x4 but CrystalDiskMark results in 3.260mb/s instead of the 7.xxx I should get from this drive.

I have tried to disable all of the onboard components to see if maybe the wifi was sharing lanes or such. Also disabled audio, lan, everything and forced m2.2 to GEN4, still same results.

Latest bios and latest chipset drivers are installed, system is windows 11 pro freshly installed.

Any ideas? - In case it matters I already mentioned the CPU is G series but the model is Ryzen 7 5700G.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

20 minutes ago, GustavoDune said:

On the other hand Im suspecting it doesnt matter whether the chipset is at 4.0 4x if the busses of the CPU are not 4.0 is this right?

You are correct. The motherboard will still support a pcie 4.0 connection, but you will only get 3.0 speeds if your cpu doesn't support it.( The connection between the cpu and chipset will be pcie gen 3)

Thanks I wasn't entirely sure about this, but it makes sense since everything goes through the CPU. Internally the chipset has to send at gen3 even though software may report gen4 that's the confusing portion.